Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
Can I purchase a handgun in VA?
FL resident with FL CCW.
I can't imagine why not, but just checking.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Handgun?  I believe the answer is no, unless you are in the military and stationed in VA.  Rifles and shotguns are fine.  If the rifle is considered to be an "assault rifle", you must provide proof of US citizenship or lawful US residence.

From http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

Nonresidents - Identification and Residency Requirements

Rifles and shotguns may be purchased from licensed firearms dealers by persons who are residents of other states upon the presentation of one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the purchaser's state of residence and one other form of identification determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services (6VAC20-130-10).

The following secondary forms of ID are acceptable:

A current lease.
   Evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax.
   A current utility or telephone bill.
   A current voter registration card.
   A current bank check.
   A current passport (must include an address).
   A current automobile registration.
   A current hunting or fishing license.
   Other identification allowed as evidence of residency by Part 178.124 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations and ATF Ruling 2001-5.

And you need to satisfy this eligibility criteria:  http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_PurchaseEligibility.shtm

We have some great dealers in this HTF, so perhaps one can verify.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure you can.
But it will have to be shipped to an FFL in Florida before you can take possession of it. Unless you have PCS orders stationing you in VA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Soon not buying a pistol I'm VA and walking out the door with it?

I'm there on business alot.  Guess I'll bring my own under the plane.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FL resident with FL CCW.
View Quote

Because of the Gun Control Act of 1968. That's why not.

Where have you been for the past 49 years?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]
A good portion of that time was spent in the twinkle in my parents' eyes.  And a good remainder of that in the oblivion of childhood and adolescence.   But at least two were spent in NoVA and I seem to remember lots of folks coming from in and out of state at gunshops.  But come to think of it many had a paycheck from Uncle Sam so maybe rules are different.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good portion of that time was spent in the twinkle in my parents' eyes.  And a good remainder of that in the oblivion of childhood and adolescence.   But at least two were spent in NoVA and I seem to remember lots of folks coming from in and out of state at gunshops.  But come to think of it many had a paycheck from Uncle Sam so maybe rules are different.
View Quote
No matter what state you are in, you cannot buy a handgun and walk out the door with it UNLESS it's the state in which you reside, in your case Florida.  It's a federal law as stated before.  The only people who are exempt are active duty military, where they may have a FL ID but have active duty orders stationing them at Norfolk lets say.  This exemption does not pertain to Reserve or National Guard who may drill in another another state than the one in which they live
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again.

I'm scheduled to be there next week.

Gonna check a bag and take my own under the plane.
My Florida CCW is ok right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Virginia honors ALL permits
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FL resident with FL CCW.
View Quote

I don't know if it been answered yet, but yes you can purchase any sort of handgun you desire in this state. However... you can't take it home with you. You'll have to ship it to a FFL in your local area and fill out the paper works there.

This is true in any state no matter what sort of qualifications are, that you are not a resident of. When you purchase a gun in Virginia (or any state I imagine) they want two forms of ID. One is a valid government issued card, and the other something with your name on it that proves you live in Virginia such as a water bill, or voters card.

It's something the antis don't get either because they claim Chicago is a wasteland because people go out of state to purchase guns... you can't do that. You have to have it shipped to a FFL locally to the state you live in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks again.

Yes.

Check out this page: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Although the law requires Virginia to grant recognition to all states that issue permits, those states may not authorize Virginia permit holders to possess a firearm in their state.
Now, here's a little history for you. At one time in Virginia history - say 2015 or so - Virginia ended reciprocity for about 25 states including Florida. At some other point, it was restored again. Very weird. But then in 2016, it was all restored, for all 50 states.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Minor clarification. We don't have "reciprocity" with all states. Reciprocity only exists when they honor ours in return. We honor permits from all states, we don't reciprocate with all of them.  Might seem nit picking, but it's an important detail in the law.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes.

Now, here's a little history for you. At one time in Virginia history - say 2015 or so - Virginia ended reciprocity for about 25 states including Florida. At some other point, it was restored again. Very weird. But then in 2016, it was all restored, for all 50 states.
View Quote
The present AG starting messing around with reciprocity agreements.

The Republican House of Delegates and Senate cut a deal with the Governor and granted recognition to ALL other state permits.

Note that in Virginia it is a "Concealed Handgun Permit."

Some other states allow additional weapons.

Virginia does NOT.
Handguns ONLY.

Good luck convincing the police your AR-15 'handgun' IS a handgun.

Very few are all that up on all the laws.

Also make SURE you understand that ALL lethal force law in Virginia is case law.
For everyone.
Including LE.

Much of it is State Supreme Court rulings since we did not have ANY appellate courts until the early 1970s.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks again.

View Quote
Why not rent? Buy a one-time membership at a range if you're allowed and just rent their guns. Much easier than flying. If you just want to carry you should go to USA Carry to ensure reciprocity between states.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks again.

Yes.

Although the law requires Virginia to grant recognition to all states that issue permits, those states may not authorize Virginia permit holders to possess a firearm in their state.
I think that was Northam who did that...until people raised a stink.

Edit: too late to this party.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No matter what state you are in, you cannot buy a handgun and walk out the door with it UNLESS it's the state in which you reside, in your case Florida.  It's a federal law as stated before.  The only people who are exempt are active duty military, where they may have a FL ID but have active duty orders stationing them at Norfolk lets say.  This exemption does not pertain to Reserve or National Guard who may drill in another another state than the one in which they live
View Quote
Military members can have "dual residency" - the state they claim is home and the state on their orders.  You should have all resident rights and privileges in state on your orders.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Handgun?  I believe the answer is no, unless you are in the military and stationed in VA.  Rifles and shotguns are fine.  If the rifle is considered to be an "assault rifle", you must provide proof of US citizenship or lawful US residence.

From http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

Nonresidents - Identification and Residency Requirements

Rifles and shotguns may be purchased from licensed firearms dealers by persons who are residents of other states upon the presentation of one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the purchaser's state of residence and one other form of identification determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services (6VAC20-130-10).

The following secondary forms of ID are acceptable:

A current lease.
   Evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax.
   A current utility or telephone bill.
   A current voter registration card.
   A current bank check.
   A current passport (must include an address).
   A current automobile registration.
   A current hunting or fishing license.
   Other identification allowed as evidence of residency by Part 178.124 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations and ATF Ruling 2001-5.

And you need to satisfy this eligibility criteria:  http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_PurchaseEligibility.shtm

We have some great dealers in this HTF, so perhaps one can verify.
View Quote
I have yet to find a dealer who will sell me a long gun or shotgun under the above rules.  In the .mil, Alaska resident with orders to Maryland but living in Virginia.  Kind of screwed myself a bit...
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have yet to find a dealer who will sell me a long gun or shotgun under the above rules.  In the .mil, Alaska resident with orders to Maryland but living in Virginia.  Kind of screwed myself a bit...
View Quote
Get a Virginia DL, and then you'll be able to buy anything you want from a Virginia dealer. Contrary to what some people think, having a Virginia DL will not effect your legal residency status in regards to Alaska, and will not make you liable for Virginia income tax.
When you go to the DMV to get your license, be sure to take several proofs of residency, such as apartment lease, utility bill, or real estate tax assessment if you are buying a house.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a Virginia DL, and then you'll be able to buy anything you want from a Virginia dealer. Contrary to what some people think, having a Virginia DL will not effect your legal residency status in regards to Alaska, and will not make you liable for Virginia income tax.
When you go to the DMV to get your license, be sure to take several proofs of residency, such as apartment lease, utility bill, or real estate tax assessment if you are buying a house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will drive them nuts if you have vehicle registrations in adjacent states.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I dunno about the legality of this, but perhaps you can leave a gun up here in a secure place, and retrieve it when you are up here on business so you don't have to fly with one every time? Maybe someone on here, in the area that you are working would be willing to hold a lock box for you. I don;t know, just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not talking about license plates. Military can keep their home state plates.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a long talk with a couple JAs and they seemed to think the DL was one of the bigger residency indicators the other being voter registration.  I'd like to keep everything simple until I'm forced to change.  Now I can concentrate on training and optics for what I currently have!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I see no problem with selling you a long gun.
View Quote
My wallet will not be happy...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top