Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 10:41:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to be years ago but never shot there because back then it was only open some weekends when RSO's volunteered.   Shot once on the 1000 yard range at 200 and 600 yards.   To whomever is a current member, are the ranges open every weekend (plenty of RSO's?) and ever get to shoot at range 4?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot there as often as I can, but I've only shot on R4 (600, 800 and 1,000). The ranges are open on Sat and Sunday with Saturday being shorter ranges and Sunday being 800 and 1,000, but the RSO makes the call.

Pretty easy process, you just need to be there early (0700-0715) for target set up (steel okay) and then first shot is at 0800.  You shoot 600 or 800 first and until about 1100, them move back to 1,000 where you stay until about 1400 or so.

I can sponsor one person per trip as a hook to join the club, which I don't believe has a waiting list right now.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot there as often as I can, but I've only shot on R4 (600, 800 and 1,000). The ranges are open on Sat and Sunday with Saturday being shorter ranges and Sunday being 800 and 1,000, but the RSO makes the call.

Pretty easy process, you just need to be there early (0700-0715) for target set up (steel okay) and then first shot is at 0800.  You shot 600 or 800 first and until about 1100, them move back to 1,000 where you stay until about 1400 or so.

I can sponsor one person per trip as a hook to join the club, which I don't believe has a waiting list right now.
View Quote
I've been thinking about joining. I'm in Fredericksburg, and I'm a DoD civilian working at Dahlgren. I haven't been able to go anywhere since my son was born 18 months ago. So, it will be nice to join the club and start getting back into shape and all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have some time so let me explain a bit more.  The Quantico Shooting Club opens a number of ranges on Quantico on the weekends. I’m an RSO so I get a separate e-mail stating the range status, but there is also a calendar on the website.  Membership is a ratio of active duty to retired and civilians, but my understanding is the ratio is favorable right now so there is little to no waiting.  I joined earlier in the year (retired mil) and had no waiting.

There are a number of ranges and the RSOs try to open as many as possible each weekend.  However, there is a firm rule, no-one shoots behind someone else so, there could only be 2-3 of the rifle ranges open on any weekend day.  For example, if people are shooting 100, then 300 on R1, R2 can only do the same.  However, R3 can go longer since they are separated by a full range. Same at R4, if R3 is shooting 300 and 600, then R4 is limited to 300 and then 600. This is primarily why there are different distances on Saturday versus Sundays.

I’ve only shot at R4 because I see not much of a difference shooting 100 to say, 300.  I wanted to get better DOPE and practice at longer range.  I’ve shot 600, 800 and 1,000 and have really enjoyed it!  The order of march starts at 0700ish by meeting at the R4 gate which is on the road between R4 and the QSC.  The OIC will open the gate and you place targets.  If you’re using the large target holders (KD’s?) you pick one up at the club and drive it to the pit, then place it between T1 and T14 (usually the OIC takes T1-T4 so you move to the right so you don’t piss off the OIC).  Steel goes from T14 out to T50, but at the berm in front of the pits.  You can also place clays on the berm impact area behind the pit so you can shoot two different distances at once.

Once you place you targets, you drive back to the firing line and drop your stuff.  Bring all your “stuff” as you’ll be self-supported on that line for a few hours.  When you drop your stuff, you either drop your vehicle in back of the 800 yard roadway (if shooting less than 800), or behind the 1,000 yard line if shooting more than 600. You walk back to the line and set up (cold line) and get ready for first shot at around 0800.  Once range control gives the command, the range can go hot and firing begins.  You fire for 1-2hrs, and then go cold to check and replace targets/paint steel. You then go back to the line for a second string of an hour or so.  About 1100-1200, the line goes cold and you again check targets, and then if you’re going to stay for longer range, you move your stuff back to the next line once you refresh targets.  You then shoot more strings, but there are usually no or longer range cold calls so, if you stay for 1,000, be prepared to stay until at least 1400 before another cold call to retrieve targets.

Some hints, if you have any other questions, drop them in the thread and I’ll answer:

1.Members can sponsor a shooter so a person can come out and experience the ranges. I’m not certain if you can just come out and shoot as there are safety rules and paperwork you need to complete and bring with you before you shoot.
2.There will be a safety brief and the OIC will ask what calibers are being shot so he can track them, and round count, to report back to range control.
3.I don’t think there are any restrictions on rifles or calibers, with the exception of full-auto, which is a no-go. It’s also frowned upon to come to R4 and start blasting, you can do that on R1.
4.I’ve seen all kinds of targets, but nothing reactive and you need to cart out everything you bring in, so if you destroy it (wood), you need to clean it up.
5.There are no people in the pits when we shoot; you place your targets and then we go back to the line.
6.There is an EMT on-duty at the QSC when we shoot.
7.Using the range costs $385 a day unless we have an active duty member shooting, then it’s free.
8.We use Marine Corps range rules so there is a rhythm and safety is paramount, and there will never be anyone shooting behind another range unless there is a one range clearance.
9.We could be at the mercy of a military unit shooting, which means we follow their lead and go cold when they need to check targets, etc.  
10.Bring some sort of notebook to record your data so you can dial in your rig and get good data for future.
11.If you want to bring lots of “stuff” a cart really helps as there’s nothing worse than being that guy holding up the line as your carry individual sand bags from your vehicle to the line (five times), then the rest of your “stuff.” The line gets real hinky when they can’t shoot waiting on someone.
12.If you don’t have good DOPE, you won’t get it by coming out to 600 and trying. The ranges get overgrown during the summer so calling a shot without a spotter is difficult at best.
13.Having good fundamentals are vital. If you have issues with breathing or trigger pull, we can work on that, but spending $1 a shot to get frustrated chasing zero can be painful to watch.
14.Most people will spot for you, but don’t be that guy who’s trying to get DOPE on someone else’s time. I was next to a guy (who was shooting across my line of fire no less) who asked me to spot for him for a good 45 minutes, and he sucked at shooting. I finally told him I had things to do, but being nice lost me an entire session.
15.Have a decent optic.  Coming out to shoot 800 with your Aimpoint T1 may not be the best course of action and that ACOG could be another challenge.  Also, the better the glass, the better your ability to call your shot.  With a good optic with 10+ power and a decent field of view, you can many times see the bullet trace as it heads down range.      
16.If you have a 300WM with the killer muzzle brake, or that Barrett 50, understand that the line will ask you to get as far away from them as possible.  It’s not you, it the side blast.  :)
17.A tarp is a good idea as the grounds are usually damp or wet.
18.Hydration is a must as the line gets direct and continual sun.  Food is a good thing too.
19.Ask questions of the other members, we’ll do our best to help.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I also RSO at Quantico and can take guests, up to 3 per day. There are some things I would debate about how the ranges operate regarding shooting distance at side-by-side active ranges, but it's too much to type. IM me if you want to arrange some time at the range. I tend to go on Sunday because it fits my weekly schedule better.

And yes, if you don't know your dope, starting at 600 yards will be frustrating, but we can give it a shot to get you on target. I like the XTC training sessions because we pair off and one group shoots while the other pulls targets in the pits. That's a luxury.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I went out yesterday for R4, but at the last minute, a Marine Unit opened R3 for Table 2 (25y to 100y), and since there is no shooting behind (unless there's a range between you), I decided to go back home and do yard work.  R4 is open today for 1,000 only, so I'm heading out at 0630 as the day is supposed to be in the mid 70's with little to no wind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm at Range 1 today. Hardly anybody here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
"7.Using the range costs $385 a day unless we have an active duty member shooting, then it’s free."

So, as a guess or a member, do I need to pay $385 a day?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"7.Using the range costs $385 a day unless we have an active duty member shooting, then it’s free."

So, as a guess or a member, do I need to pay $385 a day?
View Quote
The $385 is what the club pays for the range, unless there is an A/D shooter, then it's free to the club.

I did my RSO mentoring today and learned more about the no shooting behind anyone. You can actually do it depending on where the target line is established.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I did my RSO mentoring today and learned more about the no shooting behind anyone. You can actually do it depending on where the target line is established.
View Quote
Range 1 is where you will see the firing line / target line rules applied when Range 2 is active. On Ranges 2, 3, & 4, the targets are set at the berm, and the firing line moves back from there. On Range 1, the targets are set at various distances from the firing line, and the firing line is fixed at the shoot house. The shoot house on Range 1 is effectively the 300 yard line of Range 2. If shooters on Range 2 are at the 200 yard line, Range 1 targets can be set equal to the Range 2 firing line or beyond it (towards the berm). That situation effectively eliminates handguns on Range 1, since the closest targets will be 100 yards away. At this point, it will take a teleprompter to describe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top