Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 6:49:45 PM EDT
My son goes to a private school that uses a part-time bookkeeper. The catch is, she sucks. Twice in the last year they have not cashed one of our tuition payments. After 90 days it is returned to our bank account.

Last week they told us our monthly tuition was late because they started applying our payment backwards. (I.e. Applied June to January, July to June...)

Are there any statutes that protect me from their error?  I paid in good faith, they fucked up and are making their mistake my problem.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Just to make sure we’re on the same page…you write check to school…school doesn’t cash it and it’s returned to your account…you notice the “extra” money and don’t think (I wonder where that came from?) and not investigate what might not have gotten paid…then ask how to get out of not paying.

Again just making sure we’re on the same page.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My son goes to a private school that uses a part-time bookkeeper. The catch is, she sucks. Twice in the last year they have not cashed one of our tuition payments. After 90 days it is returned to our bank account.

Last week they told us our monthly tuition was late because they started applying our payment backwards. (I.e. Applied June to January, July to June...)

Are there any statutes that protect me from their error?  I paid in good faith, they fucked up and are making their mistake my problem.
View Quote

There is no "returned" unless you adjust the balance.

The money never left the account.

It would appear you are adding the check back in when balancing the account instead of continuing to carry it as outstanding.

The bank might not even honor it after 90 days if it WAS presented for payment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the first step here should be to schedule an appointment with the school administrator and calmly lay out your grievance, and ask how they are going to resolve their mistake.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It would appear you are adding the check back in when balancing the account instead of continuing to carry it as outstanding.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually since we used online bill payer the money was debited from my account. After they didn't cash the check the bank credited it back to my account.

Quoted:
I think the first step here should be to schedule an appointment with the school administrator and calmly lay out your grievance, and ask how they are going to resolve their mistake.
Just had that meeting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you add notes to the online payment?  I would add a note exactly what period of time the payment covered, and the student ID so they don't apply your payment to some rando.  

Escalate to supervisor at every interaction w/ the bookeeper from now on.  Document everything and send the person an email with delivery confirmation one day after you make payment to notify exactly what you are paying.  

I had to make direct deposit payments for my role at work.  Its crazy how hard it is to get organizations to take money and apply it correctly.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you add notes to the online payment?  I would add a note exactly what period of time the payment covered, and the student ID so they don't apply your payment to some rando.  

Escalate to supervisor at every interaction w/ the bookeeper from now on.  Document everything and send the person an email with delivery confirmation one day after you make payment to notify exactly what you are paying.  

I had to make direct deposit payments for my role at work.  Its crazy how hard it is to get organizations to take money and apply it correctly.  
View Quote
We had a meeting with the powers that be and I laid out my position and asked a few questions after quizzing my wife...who is an accountant.

I believe we reached a satisfactory resolution today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top