Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 5:18:04 PM EDT
My dad's wife is wanting to sell her 04 Rubicon and my dad is asking for rough ballpark where to start KBB is saying $12-14k dependong on condition at her mileage (69k). That seems a bit high to me, but it is a wrangled.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My dad's wife is wanting to sell her 04 Rubicon and my dad is asking for rough ballpark where to start KBB is saying $12-14k dependong on condition at her mileage (69k). That seems a bit high to me, but it is a wrangled.

Thoughts?
View Quote
I'm no Jeep guru but there's a place on Midlothian Tpke, I think it's a Pearson certified pre-owned type place, that has a large number of Wranglers sitting out front.

I've seen quite a few sitting on car lots so the competition might be tough, at least you might be able to play the 'winter is coming' card.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's their dealership. They're not big fans of them

I know I could probably sell it down here in tidewater to some of the military guys, but he's looking to sell up there for now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
See what they are selling for on Craigslist.or take it to Carmax,see what they will give them for it,then add 10k to their price. I'd start at 15k.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no such thing as "it seems a little high for a used Wrangler".  You'll get exactly what you want.

Google "How Do Used Jeep Wranglers Avoid Depreciation So Well?" and "Do Jeep Wranglers really hold their value?" and see how many years running that a Wrangler has been either #1 or #2 in their category and you'll shit yourself.  It's the same reason you won't be going to a dealership and negotiating $5k off a Rubicon - even if you pay cash - because a guy will arrive 10 minutes later and pay full retail price.

The only vehicle close to it in the last 5 years was the Tacoma, and it was 1.5% difference.  Don't even look at how many they build a year, it's absolutely staggering, and they still fly off the lots.

All that said, someone will happily throw $15k in your lap for a nice used Rubi vs. spending $23k on a new base model.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no such thing as "it seems a little high for a used Wrangler".  You'll get exactly what you want.

Google "How Do Used Jeep Wranglers Avoid Depreciation So Well?" and "Do Jeep Wranglers really hold their value?" and see how many years running that a Wrangler has been either #1 or #2 in their category and you'll shit yourself.  It's the same reason you won't be going to a dealership and negotiating $5k off a Rubicon - even if you pay cash - because a guy will arrive 10 minutes later and pay full retail price.

The only vehicle close to it in the last 5 years was the Tacoma, and it was 1.5% difference.  Don't even look at how many they build a year, it's absolutely staggering, and they still fly off the lots.

All that said, someone will happily throw $15k in your lap for a nice used Rubi vs. spending $23k on a new base model.
View Quote
Well said. Having previously worked in the parts department at a Jeep dealer, that's what I was thinking. I've just been away from the scene for a few years.

Any particular venues better than others for listing for sale? Craigslist seems to have gone down hill as of late.

I have a feeling he's going to be asking for my help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well said. Having previously worked in the parts department at a Jeep dealer, that's what I was thinking. I've just been away from the scene for a few years.

Any particular venues better than others for listing for sale? Craigslist seems to have gone down hill as of late.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you figured out Craigslist as of 2017.  Tire kickers, crooks, and Nigerian scammers.

Have you looked at the Jeep forums that cover your AO?  There are so many these days.  I know VA has 4-5 that I know of, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out there were others.  They can definitely hook you up.

I'm not 100% sure where you are or I could be more specific.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Vehicle is in Chesterfield, but I'm down in tidewater.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Vehicle is in Chesterfield, but I'm down in tidewater.
View Quote
Well, aren't you in luck?  

Tidewater Jeep Clubs

EDIT:  oops, forgot one:

Tidewater Fourwheelers
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good point(s).

Quoted:
See what they are selling for on Craigslist.or take it to Carmax,see what they will give them for it,then add 10k to their price. I'd start at 15k.
Now that's about the damn truth right there...
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I got 13K for my low mileage JK from a Koons Dealrship they didn't even blink.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is an 04 TJ Rubicon
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is an 04 TJ Rubicon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is an 04 TJ Rubicon
Ok, so here is one for sale down in that area.  This is a nice Rubi, but I suspect very high miles since they don't list it anywhere, but list everything including floormats.  

It's got lights, bumper/winch combo (synthetic, which is a premium), fenders, tires, rock rails, tire carrier rear bumper, and a River Raider snorkel.  None of that stuff is expensive whatsoever, aside from the River Raider snorkel which is over $500, plus another $500 for installation if you aren't comfortable cutting through the firewall and hood.

How modified is your Rubi?  I can give you some more info based on that.  I just threw out a set of tube bumpers I couldn't GIVE away.  There are so many parts available for free or cheap you'd be shocked.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
This thing is 100% bone stock. 4.0L AT. Driven by a middle aged woman.

Hard top installed 99% of the time, but they do have the soft top too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This thing is 100% bone stock. 4.0L AT. Driven by a middle aged woman.

Hard top installed 99% of the time, but they do have the soft top too.
View Quote
That's actually good, you don't always get them both, so someone is going to appreciate that.  I know it's 13 years old, but how's the mileage?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#15]
69k I'm told
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
69k I'm told
View Quote
Holy crap that's low.  I was expecting well into the 100k range.  Definitely check out those places I listed, and you can also see what a dealer or Carmax will give you and compare that to what KBB says is a private party sale.  Carmax is a lot less pushy, and I've been quite surprised at what they offered me twice.  I took one of them and the other I just traded to the dealer since it was the same price.

However, with those low miles I've got a feeling someone is going to want it, especially stock.  They are going to think it's never been off-road and can add to it what they want.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd list it on novajeepers.net or jeepforum.com

$12-14K seems reasonable to me based on mileage, 2 tops and it's a Rubicon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd list it on novajeepers.net or jeepforum.com

$12-14K seems reasonable to me based on mileage, 2 tops and it's a Rubicon.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Take the vehicle to Carlotz.  They put it on their lot and sell it for you.  They get a fixed commission of about $900.  They deal with the buyer and can even arrange financing.  All you do is swing by and pickup the check.  I sold a BMW 528 that way about 18 months ago, and it was a great experience.  No dealing with tire kickers on CL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top