Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 3:48:41 PM EDT
Looks like I'm moving to the F'Burg area!  I have about 60 days to move.

I'm looking for a house online and will be down in a week or two to choose.  Want to find one just south of F'burg because work is in Stafford by the new exit 136?, just up Rt1.  I am spoiled by short commutes here and want to keep it under 30 mins or 20 miles.

Was in Massaponax last weekend and looked at homes in Lake Landor and Caroline Pines.  Still can't get over the cost of homes there.  I'd like to have some acreage for my own range, maybe later.

Where are the good gunshops and shooting clubs/ranges?  
I shoot .22 pistol on an indoor team and like to shoot my milsurps and EBRs at 200-300 yds outdoors.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You poor fool.  No, I'm kidding, Fredericksburg is not that bad.  Traffic is pretty atrocious especially on Route 3.  Housing is expensive for no good reason.  I live in Stafford and up until yesterday commuted to DC.  I spent about 3 hours a day commuting.  

You can go to the "Important Topics" link at the top of the VA hometown forum to find some shops and ranges.  I recommend VA Arms.  It's in Manassas, about 45 minutes from Stafford, but it's worth the trip.  Bernie is a great person, so is Robb.  They have the best stock in the entire NoVA area.  One of our other members works there too but I forgot his name.  Sorry about that.  

I'm a member of the IWLA Alexandria chapter.  We have a park on route 610 in Stafford, with ranges for rifle, pistol and shotgun.  Maximum range is 100 yards for rifle and 25 for pistol, but it's pretty good.  IM or email for more details.  MJD
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
well, if you can afford it and you end up with a place thats out in the country a bit, you can just make your own range on your property.  when i'm at home i shoot off my back porch at various targets i have preset up, and i can do it whenever i get the urge to!. gotta love VA compared to NY on gun laws. as soon as you're a resident, get yourself a CHP too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Housing market here has been rather soft for the last several months.  You should be able to find a nice place for a decent price.  Exit 136?  You won't be far from the The Range on Rte 1.  Paul and Bing are couple of good guys but their prices on guns are a bit high.  They have an indoor range (pistol only), nice but a little dark and kinda cold in the winter.  Quantico Arms in Q'town or Dale City (lot closer than Manassas).  +1 on the IWL on rte 610.
Good luck on the move!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Fredericksburg's gun club has one of the best monthly shoots in the country.  Check this out:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=228254

See you at the range.

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Lake Land'or and Caroline Pines is Caroline County.   That is about a cheap as you will find around here.    Right there you also have Lake Caroline and the new comunity just north on the Food lion(can't remeber the name).  There is also a big one there at Exit 110 set to go in around a 18 hole golf course.   You can see the service entrance there as you go to Lake Land'or on Ladysmith Rd.  

Not sure about outdoor ranges here.    I have yet to find anything that is half way resonable and will tolerate the EBR.  The range in Fredericksburg is a nice place and they used to do some bullseye shooting at one time.  

+1 on the get enough land.    I have 5 acres on Ladysmith rd. and I set up my own range.    I can only shoot to 25 yards but i have set up two bences and reguarly shoot my EBR off my deck.   No cops or bitching neighbors yet.  

Welcome to the area.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.  When I get closer to moving I'll contact CBR for info on those shoots.  I am into handgun shooting and would like to give that a try.  

Planned on getting my CCW ASAP.  At least I can bring my pistols into VA without the transfer nonsense NY makes you go thru.

Starting to look for homes with 5+ acres.  Found one in Woodford with 10 acres and outbuildings, waiting for details on it.  More of a commute than I wanted and I have to talk my wife about it.

I thought I saw an outdoor range near LandOr or Caroline Pines.  I liked LandOr, Caroline pines seemed a bit remote, just want a shorter commute.  Guess I have to decide to either pay more for the house or pay the cost of commuting farther.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you mean Caroline Pines or Lake Caroline?    Caroline Pines is further north that Land'or or Lake Caroline.    You had better watch Lake Caroline and Land'or if you want to shoot.   They both have Home owner associations.    

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in Lake Land'or and a development on a lake  just south of there.  I didn't think I could shoot of my back deck in either of those areas.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah that was Lake Caroline and Land'or.    When we were looking for a place in early 2002 we looked at both.   We could get a 2000sq ft home on ~ .5 - 1 acre for $105k.    My how times have changed.    

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  When I get closer to moving I'll contact CBR for info on those shoots.  I am into handgun shooting and would like to give that a try.  

Planned on getting my CCW ASAP.  At least I can bring my pistols into VA without the transfer nonsense NY makes you go thru.

Starting to look for homes with 5+ acres.  Found one in Woodford with 10 acres and outbuildings, waiting for details on it.  More of a commute than I wanted and I have to talk my wife about it.

I thought I saw an outdoor range near LandOr or Caroline Pines.  I liked LandOr, Caroline pines seemed a bit remote, just want a shorter commute.  Guess I have to decide to either pay more for the house or pay the cost of commuting farther.

Woodford in Caroline is a really great area, close to spotsy, so you can just run right up rt. 1 for shopping, and you can also jump onto I-95 for a quick commute to your work (exit 136 right?) and really, i think it's got a pretty good growth potential on the market since massaponax (north on rt. 1 about 5 minutes) is now spreading it's growth farther south, there are going to be more developers looking to buy land and your poperty will Definitely go up in value.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah that was Lake Caroline and Land'or.    When we were looking for a place in early 2002 we looked at both.   We could get a 2000sq ft home on ~ .5 - 1 acre for $105k.    My how times have changed.    

I grew up in Spotsy and i'm continuously shocked at how fast real estate prices are booming.  it's gotten so bad that most people who work in the county can't actually afford to live in the county, you have to commute out in order to afford to live there!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will introduce you to a realtor who is also a competetive shooter and used to train Federal agents to shoot. He will find you exactly what you are looking for. He is also a super nice fellow and loves to talk about competative shooting etc.
I am visiting family in NYC currently and cannot respond to your e-mail till Tuesday but you won't be sorry.
PS I get nothing out of this, we are friends and he works hard, good work ethics go a long way with some of us
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking for 1500sf+, 3BR, 1 1/2 bath, unfinished basement, 2 car garage.  Either ranch or 2 story, tri-levels OK.  (not split foyer) At least 1/3 acre or more.

I've been looking for listings in Woodford.  Not much available for sub $310K, at least not what I'm interetsed in.  Found a couple existing homes near Massaponax that are close to what I'm looking for.  I want to stay below my max Mtg payment so I'll have money for more toys and such.

Prices jumping that much in 4 yrs does not make sense.  Its one thing if land values rise but cost of materials is in line with Buffalo.  I have found lots in Caroline pines, 1/2 acre for $40K but its also the cost of the home that is getting jacked up.  These builders are making a huge profit on the house and infrastructure.  Building material are about the same price as here.  WTF, modular homes are $100/sf and they are manufactured in N.C.  Looks like everyone is getting in on the price gouging.  Pretty soon no-one will be able to afford a home there.  Employers can only pay so much in wages.

Its getting frustrating.  To get the equivelent of my home, even in Land'Or, I'm looking at $310K+.  Thats 2x what its worth here.   New 2000sf colonial homes with garage and basement in Land'Or are "only" $320K.  Same home is about $200K here.  If I go closer to F'burg its much more.  Of course, you already know this.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The housing boom has slowed, but prices haven't dropped much.  Had I not bought my place pre-construction, and put down every dime I made on my last place, not a chance in hell I'd be out here in Hartwood, Hazzard ooops, I mean Stafford County.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top