Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 2:34:07 AM EDT
the thread about tspike's brandishing problem got me thinking. does open carry require a holster? or can i just put my pistol in my pocket with the grip showing plain as day? sometimes when i have a night off a take care of trash and mail etc in the dark and gloomy hours. and i find that i just pull on some pants and do whatever i have to do and stick the pistol in the front pocket. i figure it is legal as that is the basic spirit of the law but alas i have not read it word for word. any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:07:23 AM EDT
While it seems to me to be legal (I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen one on TV, take it for what it's worth), it's a bad idea to be sticking weapons in your pants with the trigger uncovered. You can buy a cheap nylon inside the pants holster for 7-8 bucks, and just tuck it into your belt with the grip showing. Another decent alternative is a Kydex-type paddle holster that you can just stick into your waistband. (my favorite of the open top versions is Galco's excellent COP series, made of Armortek. nicer than any Kydex.)

Another angle is that if you saw someone with a holstered firearm vs. someone with it jammed into their pants like a thug, what would you think he was? Maybe it's not an issue if you live out in the boonies, but just something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:31:17 AM EDT
oh i have considered such things. i am actually looking for a holster right now but they are hard to find for the cz75 compact. and while i hear galco and fobus make good stuff i would like to see how they fit my pistol but none of the stores around carry them. and i would feel like a real ass if i asked them to order me one and then i didn't buy it. so for the time being i put it in the pocket of my jeans. and the trigger is covered. the area is a townhouse development in manassas and i am not overly worried about too many people seeing me when i do this as it is usually the dead of night.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:40:51 AM EDT
A lot of VCDL members think IWB with the pistol grip exposed qualifies as open carry. As they haven't had any problems I think they may have a point. Personally I open carry in a OWB holster, much more comfortable and leaves no doubt that I am open carrying.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:03:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By aaronrb204:
oh i have considered such things. i am actually looking for a holster right now but they are hard to find for the cz75 compact. and while i hear galco and fobus make good stuff i would like to see how they fit my pistol but none of the stores around carry them. and i would feel like a real ass if i asked them to order me one and then i didn't buy it. so for the time being i put it in the pocket of my jeans. and the trigger is covered. the area is a townhouse development in manassas and i am not overly worried about too many people seeing me when i do this as it is usually the dead of night.

Since you live in Manassas, it's a hop skip and a jump over to Virginia Arms. You may be able to find a decent nylon holster from Uncle Mike's or something like that. My nylon IWB was something like $8, and isn't gun-specific. I've carried my G17, G23, and G30 in it, as well as a Baby Eagle I used to have (which IIRC, is quite similar to the cz75). I'm sure you've probably been there already, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:02:34 PM EDT
i always get virginia arms and dominion arms confused. if it is the one down on center st near the harley dealership then yeah i go in there once every couple weeks just cause. i have a cheap uncle mikes but it would mean putting a belt on because the little clip is just not reassuring. i figure it wouldn't be that hard to just pull the whole thing off my belt if they wanted to. then again it would probably be better than hanging out a pocket. i just have trouble getting my pistols in and out of that holster with just one hand. that is my worry with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:03:18 PM EDT
Open carry is defined as observable from three sides, (front, side, and back) or in common observation. So if someone walking up to you could see your gun from those points technically it would be open carry. However, it is under the LEOs discretion to decide if it is acutally concealed or not. Play it safe and put it in a holser not covered up by anything unless you have a CHP.
Top Top