Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 1:34:53 PM EDT
Was really looking forward to shooting my 3 new 1911's that I have never fired before.  Drove down 28 to Blue Ridge Arsenal only to find them closed!  The roads here were hardly even wet at noon, and we didn't head down to BRA until around 3:00...guess I should have called first.  May have to try and squeeze in some range time before work tomorrow.  Anyone here a member of IWLA-Loudoun Chapter and know if the range was open today?  Been really considering joining.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get your time in soon this month. One of the guys working there told me the range will be closed for most of March while they reinforce the backstop. I will finally be able to shoot my 12 ga, sks and ar without having to use frangable ammo. It is going to be sweet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you consider heading over to the NRA range?  They are normally open on Sundays.  Not sure if they were closed today due to the weather.   NRA range is only about 10 minutes drive from Blue Ridge Arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The NRA range was also closed.

Things actually were quite a mess here in western NoVa in the morning.  Strangely it warmed up and a lot of the snow disappeared very quickly (after I had shoveled my driveway and sidewalk – naturally!).
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... I will finally be able to shoot my 12 ga, sks and ar without having to use frangable ammo. ...

I guess you know you can already do that at the NRA’s 50 yard range (slug only for the shotgun, though).

Granted, it isn’t open as much as Blue Ridge and, when it is, it’s usually really busy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue Ridge is getting more than just a backstop. They are putting in a new air handler system, and a new carrier system. It has taken almost 2 years to get everything together for it, but it should be pretty nice once it is done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Blue Ridge is getting more than just a backstop. They are putting in a new air handler system, and a new carrier system. It has taken almost 2 years to get everything together for it, but it should be pretty nice once it is done.

what is their timeline in terms of closing the range and reopening it?  are they going to do one side at a time?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is their timeline in terms of closing the range and reopening it?  are they going to do one side at a time?

My understanding is tht they will be closed to the public during the construction due to the training schedule. I don't know if they will be open on the weekends or not during that time, but if thye are, it will only be one side at a time.

Last I heard, about a month.

I no longer work there, but I still go up there, and am in good with everyone there.

Of course, I was the extreme one there, and I met l_r_t there... no wonder they didn't fire me on the spot!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I drove down again this morning to try and get a few rounds downrange before work.  They were closed to the public again because of a training overlap or something.  Guess I didn't learn my lesson last time because I didn't think to call.  I never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I drove down again this morning to try and get a few rounds downrange before work.  They were closed to the public again because of a training overlap or something.  Guess I didn't learn my lesson last time because I didn't think to call.  I never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box.

Unfortunatly, it will become more of an issue, because there are not enough ranges with the space to do training. BRA is the largest indoor range in the DC area, and they make a good chunck of change from training. Every major security company in this area uses BRA for training, as do some other 'special groups'.

The owner tried to buy the whole building from the building owner, but the building owner wouldn't sell.

Hell, if they had the whole building, they cound do all kinds of stuff...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get your time in soon this month. One of the guys working there told me the range will be closed for most of March while they reinforce the backstop. I will finally be able to shoot my 12 ga, sks and ar without having to use frangable ammo. It is going to be sweet.

Damn.  I can walk to BRA.  I only ever went there to shoot subguns. Awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top