Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:27:10 PM EDT
Any plans for a 1911 build party anytime soon in the Nova area? I have a Pre-series2 Kimber Custom i'd like to change out the grip safety and maybe add a magwell..............Udog
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:34:12 PM EDT
Please have someone who knows what they are doing lead this group. Just my two cents worth.

Originally Posted By underdog75:
Any plans for a 1911 build party anytime soon in the Nova area? I have a Pre-series2 Kimber Custom i'd like to change out the grip safety and maybe add a magwell..............Udog

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:39:42 AM EDT
This is true about a build of any firearm. I'm curious as to why this is the first time that it has come up. I have seen a number of FAL and AK builds here yet no-one has ever mentiond this.

I have started threads on 1911 builds before and get little to no responses. Although I cannot have it at my place I have a number of 1911 tools. I could provide a slide tightening tool, lapping tools, etc. for the build.

Thanks

Originally Posted By LOUBIE:
Please have someone who knows what they are doing lead this group. Just my two cents worth.

Originally Posted By underdog75:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:35:24 AM EDT
Guess he figures im a retard?

Yes this whole thing would swing on getting a experenced 1911 guy, the stuff Id like to do requires a little fitting. I can run a Dremel like nobodys business but it'd be nice to have an experenced eye to guide.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:53:23 AM EDT
No one said you were a retard'. I think AKs and ARs are very easy (and fun) to build. As long as you are not looking for a hand-fit match weapon. I learned how to build 1911s by taking an internet on-line class. Yes, that's correct. (the Class of 2006 is currently full and will start soon). We had about 12 students and three instructors located all over the US. It took the better part of a year to complete. We learned how to hand fit a 1911 with mostly common tools. The result was a pistol better than the so called custom builders make. We learned EVERY detail. Mine is as tight and reliable as any I have ever owned. About 2 dozen so far. This one is accurate and I know every little detail. Not my best work, because I know where my flaws are. I have approximately 200 manhours hands-on work with this one pistol. I would be personaly reluctant to host a class on anything but the best new components and have all the time in the world to complete it. Also, there is the liability issue. I am not bragging nor discouraging your effort, but a 1911 is a more tricky weapon then an AK or AR. Sure you can build a "loose" one, but not for me any more after this experience.
I would much better like to participate in an AR or AK or M14 build myself. I am building an M14, but have to learn on the way. Not a match weapon, but a "Bush" style.
All the best in this effort.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:16:25 PM EDT
"I can run a Dremel like nobodys business..."

First mistake. Files (both metal and stone) are a lot safer and produce a better job.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:09:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brickeyee:
"I can run a Dremel like nobodys business..."

First mistake. Files (both metal and stone) are a lot safer and produce a better job.

Translation: "I got no business around a Dremel"
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 12:54:47 PM EDT by brickeyee]
You can use a dremel if you want, but it is often a very quick way to destroy a firearm.
Metal is much more difficlut to replace than remove.
About the only thing a dremel (I use a Foredom) is realy good for is polishing with Cratex wheels.
Slow and careful with files avoids the 'oops' that seems to occur with high speed tools on expensive gun parts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:05:39 PM EDT
I use Craytex as well. I like them because they remove so little metal and also keep it smooth during the entire process. After I broke my barrel lug cutter I used a Craytex round to shave down the lugs on a barrel. The hardest part was keeping the cutting even on both lugs.
Top Top