Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:17:54 PM EDT
Going up to the International Motorcycle Show at the Washington Convention Center and need to know if it would be better to drive all the way or stop at the first Metro station and take it.

I know parking can be a pain in the ass but what is does Sunday traffic look like?

The last time I drove in DC I hit a pothole the size of a small crater so hard it broke the alternator belt on my car. I thought the whole engine had fell out!

BTW....
I saw that Marion Barry get held-up the other day at gunpoint. Funny, I thought DC had banned all the guns.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Going up to the International Motorcycle Show at the Washington Convention Center and need to know if it would be better to drive all the way or stop at the first Metro station and take it.

I know parking can be a pain in the ass but what is does Sunday traffic look like?

The last time I drove in DC I hit a pothole the size of a small crater so hard it broke the alternator belt on my car. I thought the whole engine had fell out!

BTW....
I saw that Marion Barry get held-up the other day at gunpoint. Funny, I thought DC had banned all the guns.

Just drive in. No problem on Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Like he says, Sundays are no problem at all.  If you can find an opening curbside you don't even have to feed the meters.

Just be sure that your car is 'clean' before you cross the river.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Like he says, Sundays are no problem at all.  If you can find an opening curbside you don't even have to feed the meters.

finding an opening on the curb can be a huge if.  i would say park at the metro and take that.  then you don't even have to deal with driving in dc which i hate doing.  and parking at the metro stations isn't bad on weekends especially with all the new-ish garages.  i don't know what you might have to pay for parking there offhand if anything.  and both ways on metro will be around $5 per person.  i gladly pay it to avoid the headache of the dc roads.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

finding an opening on the curb can be a huge if.  i would say park at the metro and take that.  then you don't even have to deal with driving in dc which i hate doing.  and parking at the metro stations isn't bad on weekends especially with all the new-ish garages.  i don't know what you might have to pay for parking there offhand if anything.  and both ways on metro will be around $5 per person.  i gladly pay it to avoid the headache of the dc roads.

ditto! plus, parking at metro stations in va is free on the weekends. street parking near the convention center might be iffy for a popular show like this and garage parking costs like $20 for the day, right?

isn't the metro stop right AT the convention center?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ditto! plus, parking at metro stations in va is free on the weekends. street parking near the convention center might be iffy for a popular show like this and garage parking costs like $20 for the day, right?

isn't the metro stop right AT the convention center?

It's right on the Yellow line, yes....drops you off RIGHT THERE.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, Metro sounds good if only for the parking arrangements.

Now, which is in the better part of town, Springfield or Huntington? I don't want to be riding around the ghettos.

Google Earth shows Springfield near the mall and I have heard some bad stuff about Springfield Mall.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
you car will be fine in the metro garage at springfield.  i can't even think about how many times i have parked there and never had a problem.  it really isn't that bad an area.  there are just a lot of moronic high school kids who hang out at the mall.  but they so far haven't bothered with the metro lot--too long a walk when they have their pants hanging below their asses.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
whens the show
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
whens the show

This Weekend

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OK, Metro sounds good if only for the parking arrangements.

Now, which is in the better part of town, Springfield or Huntington? I don't want to be riding around the ghettos.

Google Earth shows Springfield near the mall and I have heard some bad stuff about Springfield Mall.

Not to flame you at all but to inform you, the show is in the ghettos.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
You'll be fine at either Springfield or Huntington.  The ride is a litte shorter from Huntington.  

Anyone who claims Springfield Mall is in the ghetto is really overhyping things. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:27:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Its going to be  bit of a commute from the springfield metro.  There should be plenty of free curbside parking in crystal city.  I would just drive in unless you have firearms or ammo in your vehicle or you have a slammed sports car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top