Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 1:11:18 PM EDT
I'm still frustrated by the lack of a "perfect" optic.  My ideal optic would be 2x to 3x, have 4.5 to 6 inches of eye relief, illuminated reticle, weigh 6 oz and cost less than $500.

Such a beast does not exist.  The closest I know of is the 2x Aimpoint.  I have heard this thing described as "aiming through a soda straw."  Now, I don't know what the expectations of those people are and I'm wondering if it is really that bad.  If any of you local folks have one of these, I'd appreciate a chance to take a look at it.

I'll be at the NRA range again this Wednesday evening if that works.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Cliffy, I have a 2x Aimpoint and I am very happy with it. I used the Aimpoint mount. My expereience with this has not been like looking through a straw. Everyone's eyes will be different and I would think if someone feels like they are looking through a straw, they may want to consider moving the scope more to the rear. At the end of the day, once you have the red dot picked up you do not notice that you are looking through anything. The 2x feature gives it just a little better advantage at the 100 yard range. Unfortunately I am not in NOVA otherwise I'd let you take a look for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Cliffy, it sounds like you and I are looking for the same piece of glass.  Have you considered a Leupold IER scout scope?  Doesn't have the illuminated reticle, but...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I must be too picky.  I've considered the compact ACOG but the eye relief is too short.  I really want this thing away form my eye so I can still see stuff with my dominant eye.  

I own a Leupold but there isn't a good way to mount it on the FAL.  I might wait for the EOTech, as long as it is better than their last attempt.  I have a Bushnell 2x adapter and it sucks.

Metalrocks, where in VA are you?  My girlfriend lives in Richmond so I am down that way fairly frequently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top