Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2017 4:56:33 PM EDT
While buying supplies a couple weeks back at the Home Depot at Addison & Kimball, I was asked if I want a plastic bag for the items I bought.

I said, "Yes," but then I asked the cashier, "Why did you ask me that?"

She stated, "There is a $0.07 per bag tax in Chicago now."

Suffice to say, I buy supplies in the suburbs now. Chicago is going to tax itself out of existence.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I ran into that at a Jewel yesterday. The sign at the self-serve checkout said an attendant would have to ring the bag up. Screw that. I paid, put my stuff back in the basket I was using, walked out to the car, put the stuff in, then left the basket in the cart corral.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
This had been in the news for awhile now. Personally I think they should have used a deposit system instead of a tax.  I save all my plastic bags and return them to the store and put them in the recycling box in the front.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't agree with the tax, but I do like the idea of those plastic bags being banned. They are so wasteful.

But because the city is greedy, they preferred to enact a tax rather than a ban.

I haven't used those dumb bags in years. Instead of carrying in 10 plastic bags from the store, I can fit everything in 1 or 2 reusable bags.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While buying supplies a couple weeks back at the Home Depot at Addison & Kimball, I was asked if I want a plastic bag for the items I bought.

I said, "Yes," but then I asked the cashier, "Why did you ask me that?"

She stated, "There is a $0.07 per bag tax in Chicago now."

Suffice to say, I buy supplies in the suburbs now. Chicago is going to tax itself out of existence.
View Quote

That's why you go to self checkout and select 0 bags but take them anyways.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's why you go to self checkout and select 0 bags but take them anyways.
View Quote
I wonder if that could be construed as shoplifting.  I wouldn't put it past the city.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]
poisson,

Plastic bags can be recycled, as can paper. The tax is because some do gooder Liberal thinks it will help the environment more, when all it truly does is line a politician's pocket.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
poisson,

Plastic bags can be recycled, as can paper. The tax is because some do gooder Liberal thinks it will help the environment more, when all it truly does is line a politician's pocket.
View Quote
I don't even think it was because the bags are wasteful. I think it was 100% a cash grab. Seems like Crook County and Chicago keep finding things that are somewhat bad for the environment or for your body and either taxing or banning them in the name of health. Oh no, soda is so bad for you! Let's let people keep buying it, but make sure to fill our pockets with $$$$ in the name of health.

If Crook County or Chicago really cared about their citizens, they'd stop trying to fuck over gun owners who are just trying to defend themselves from the asshole thugs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top