Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:
Got a letter in the mail from ATF, Steven Crites NFA Processing Branch.

"This is your only and final notice."

30 days to respond with needed info or disapproved.

ETA; Sorry letter says foid OR ccl.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
ATF now requiring foid and ccl info for form 1 approval.

Anyone else seeing this?
Source?
Got a letter in the mail from ATF, Steven Crites NFA Processing Branch.

"This is your only and final notice."

30 days to respond with needed info or disapproved.

ETA; Sorry letter says foid OR ccl.
Makes sense, since they would need to make sure you're legally allowed to own.

It's been so long since I did mine that I don't remember if I sent mine along, but I probably did just to avoid delays.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]

It's been so long since I did mine that I don't remember if I sent mine along, but I probably did just to avoid delays.
View Quote
Not my first sbr, first time getting the letter though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes

Interesting
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Any Chicagoland engravers that do nfa?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
I used B.A.T Arms LLC in Plano a few months ago, they did a decent job lasering at the top of the trigger pocket. Although next time I'm going to speak to the guy doing it and let him know the 1/6th minimum font only applies to the serial number and manufacturer information, NOT NFA info. I would have liked it a bit smaller. I paid about $40 I believe, probably less.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:
I used B.A.T Arms LLC in Plano a few months ago, they did a decent job lasering at the top of the trigger pocket. Although next time I'm going to speak to the guy doing it and let him know the 1/6th minimum font only applies to the serial number and manufacturer information, NOT NFA info. I would have liked it a bit smaller. I paid about $40 I believe, probably less.
View All Quotes
$50 now.
Heading over there tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know if there has been any effort to have the C&R requirement removed? I seem to remember Todd V. stating that it was something they'd like to get done.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Does anyone know if there has been any effort to have the C&R requirement removed? I seem to remember Todd V. stating that it was something they'd like to get done.
View Quote
I've never seen a submitted bill for this and don't expect to given the ILGA make up.  I think we were lucky to get this work around passed.  Its not too onerous...$30 for 3 years iirc. I expect the 2020 session to be fighting mag capacity bans, AWBs, FOID fees + fingerprints, CCW, etc.

Todd was an NRA lobbyist for IL when passed.   Now hes with the IL FFL dealers.I cant see this being an issue for them,the ISRA, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a fun one!

I moved on IL a year ago. At that time I added a friend to my trust and my SBRs and suppressor are at his house in MO. Now I want my stuff in my back

All of my NFA things are on a trust.

Can I get a C&R under my trust, then bring the SBRs over to IL once the ATF approves my form 20?

If not, I am the grantor on the trust, as the grantor, can I have a C&R in my name and still bring them over on the trust?

If not, I guess I need to get a C&R in my name, transfer the SBRs to me and then I can bring them ove
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 200Z3M:
This is a fun one!

I moved on IL a year ago. At that time I added a friend to my trust and my SBRs and suppressor are at his house in MO. Now I want my stuff in my back

Can I get a C&R under my trust, then bring the SBRs over to IL once the ATF approves my form 20?

If not, I am the grantor on the trust, as the grantor, can I have a C&R in my name and still bring them over on the trust?

If not, I guess I need to get a C&R in my name, transfer the SBRs to me and then I can bring them ove
View Quote

No. A trust can't hold a C&R.

I'm not sure how it all works with bringing SBR permanently into the state.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
This is a fun one!

What if I form a LLC and make the LLC own the trust? Then I can have the LLC own the C&R, it would be a huge shell game
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]

What if I form a LLC and make the LLC own the trust? Then I can have the LLC own the C&R, it would be a huge shell game
View All Quotes
This is a fun one!

The C&R would still be under the Trust no matter who/what owns the LLC, so it's still a non-starter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sendit14] [#13]

View All Quotes
This is a fun one!

Why?

An LLC enables more than one 'owner',  provides legal protection, obviates probate - the trust is unnecessary. What else do you seek?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#14]
The other issue with the stupid sbr law in Illinois is that the firearm has to be 26” oal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got my C&R issued, created my account on ATF E-forms website, and linked my C&R to my account using the FFL number and the EIN off my W-2.

Once that all gets linked, I'll be doing the form 1's.

Hope I don't mess it up
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Just got my C&R issued, created my account on ATF E-forms website, and linked my C&R to my account using the FFL number and the EIN off my W-2.

Once that all gets linked, I'll be doing the form 1's.

Hope I don't mess it up 
View Quote

Huh, I didn't know we could file e-forms in Illinois
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got my C&R issued, created my account on ATF E-forms website, and linked my C&R to my account using the FFL number and the EIN off my W-2.

Hope I don't mess it up 
View Quote

How long does it take to get a C & R these days?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By InterestedBystander:

How long does it take to get a C & R these days?
View All Quotes

Hope I don't mess it up 

Someone in here got theirs back in a few weeks not too long ago. I want to say mine took about that long, but that was 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:09:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#19]

View Quote

Mine took maybe 2-3 weeks.

I didn’t know we could e-file either, but on the previous page apparently it’s been done and approved.

Already got the confirmation email from the ATF that my e file account is linked to my FFL and EIN as well.

Gonna fill them out this weekend, submit the copy of my FOID and hopefully get them approved quickly!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Mine took maybe 2-3 weeks. 

I didn’t know we could e-file either, but on the previous page apparently it’s been done and approved. 

Already got the confirmation email from the ATF that my e file account is linked to my FFL and EIN as well. 

Gonna fill them out this weekend, submit the copy of my FOID and hopefully get them approved quickly!
View All Quotes

I didn’t know we could e-file either, but on the previous page apparently it’s been done and approved. 

Already got the confirmation email from the ATF that my e file account is linked to my FFL and EIN as well. 

Gonna fill them out this weekend, submit the copy of my FOID and hopefully get them approved quickly!

I may have to do a couple more if we can e-file now. Will have to get up to speed with the new fingerprinting stuff. Been a minute since I did my last one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I may have to do a couple more if we can e-file now. Will have to get up to speed with the new fingerprinting stuff. Been a minute since I did my last one. 
View All Quotes

I may have to do a couple more if we can e-file now. Will have to get up to speed with the new fingerprinting stuff. Been a minute since I did my last one. 

Yup, I eForm’d back on 7/6/19. I’d have to look but overall from C&R application mailed off to approved stamp, I think like 30ish days? I made mention of it a few pages back I believe. But if anyone needs help, PM me. I can also build a tutorial, to help other Illinoisans out. It is definitely possible and definitely legal. I’m surprised how some FFLs aren’t even aware of it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:

Yup, I eForm’d back on 7/6/19. I’d have to look but overall from C&R application mailed off to approved stamp, I think like 30ish days? I made mention of it a few pages back I believe. But if anyone needs help, PM me. I can also build a tutorial, to help other Illinoisans out. It is definitely possible and definitely legal. I’m surprised how some FFLs aren’t even aware of it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subiescott:

Yup, I eForm’d back on 7/6/19. I’d have to look but overall from C&R application mailed off to approved stamp, I think like 30ish days? I made mention of it a few pages back I believe. But if anyone needs help, PM me. I can also build a tutorial, to help other Illinoisans out. It is definitely possible and definitely legal. I’m surprised how some FFLs aren’t even aware of it.

I've already got my C&R, but a e-form/fingerprint process would be welcome.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#23]
One denied due to never receiving fingerprints, despite my tracking showing they were delivered.  

The other is still pending.

Now I have to wait for my new physical FOID to show, because my card expires in a month and they won’t have it done by then...which would mean according to them, it’s expired.  

Hopefully the other goes through.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
One denied due to never receiving fingerprints, despite my tracking showing they were delivered.  

The other is still pending.

Now I have to wait for my new physical FOID to show, because my card expires in a month and they won’t have it done by then...which would mean according to them, it’s expired.  

Hopefully the other goes through.
View Quote

FOIDs and CCWs expiration dates have been pushed out to whenever they open the process back up plus one year, so you should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#25]

FOIDs and CCWs expiration dates have been pushed out to whenever they open the process back up plus one year, so you should be fine.
View Quote

Concur, but I don’t know if that will fly with the ATF.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Since it's a state thing, I'd bet it would. But you never know these days. Might not hurt to call in and ask.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Yup, I eForm’d back on 7/6/19. I’d have to look but overall from C&R application mailed off to approved stamp, I think like 30ish days? I made mention of it a few pages back I believe. But if anyone needs help, PM me. I can also build a tutorial, to help other Illinoisans out. It is definitely possible and definitely legal. I’m surprised how some FFLs aren’t even aware of it.
View Quote

@subiescott
I would appreciate it if you would. I was planning on doing a couple of sbr’s after I moved to az but those plans have been on hold since this pandemic started and then my dad had a stroke a month ago so I have to help him out at the shop.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#28]
@Ivan1

Give me a few days and I'll start collecting together some things to build a PDF file on. I should have built a guide "as I went" but was too lazy, lol.

In short, for an Illinoisan: Ensure FOID is valid and/or renew (I went through the eForm Form 1 process while still waiting for my renewal) > obtain C&R FFL 03 > File Form 1 on eForms > Wait (mine took under 45 days for EVERYTHING mentioned).

I'd like to say I was lucky but I think I just followed the rules and was very punctual. To the point when writing on all of the forms, I took forever to ensure it was legible, spelled correctly, and didn't smear. Double checking and in some cases triple checking was necessary. Take photos of the forms prior to sending, and always send USPS priority with signature requirement and tracking.

It was honestly a very painless process and sort of exciting, as I progressed through each stage. When the C&R comes back, make sure you sent notifications in your calendar far ahead of time on when it is set to expire. Everything hinders off of that.

I highly encourage everyone reading this to file another Form 1, however, with the whole brace thing being contested by you know who. But anyway, standby for a guide and all.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#29]
@Ivan1

Give me a few days and I'll start collecting together some things to build a PDF file on. I should have built a guide "as I went" but was too lazy, lol.

In short, for an Illinoisan: Ensure FOID is valid and/or renew (I went through the eForm Form 1 process while still waiting for my renewal) > obtain C&R FFL 03 > File Form 1 on eForms > Wait (mine took under 45 days for EVERYTHING mentioned).

I'd like to say I was lucky but I think I just followed the rules and was very punctual. To the point when writing on all of the forms, I took forever to ensure it was legible, spelled correctly, and didn't smear. Double checking and in some cases triple checking was necessary. Take photos of the forms prior to sending, and always send USPS priority with signature requirement and tracking.

It was honestly a very painless process and sort of exciting, as I progressed through each stage. When the C&R comes back, make sure you sent notifications in your calendar far ahead of time on when it is set to expire. Everything hinders off of that.

I highly encourage everyone reading this to file another Form 1, however, with the whole brace thing being contested by you know who. But anyway, standby for a guide and all.
View Quote

@subiescott my foid expires this month even though I renewed already but probably won’t see my new card till next year sometime.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:18:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#30]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

@subiescott my foid expires this month even though I renewed already but probably won’t see my new card till next year sometime.
View Quote

Although the card expire date may be past, under ISP Covid rules the card should still remain active and be seen if run through LE inquiry.  If the ATF or others demand a card image with a non expired date, not much you can do there but wait a few months.   The ISP is processing new apps ahead of renewal apps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By InterestedBystander:

Although the card expire date may be past, under ISP Covid rules the card should still remain active and be seen if run through LE inquiry.  If the ATF or others demand a card image with a non expired date, not much you can do there but wait a few months.   The ISP is processing new apps ahead of renewal apps.
View All Quotes

@InterestedBystander for what it's worth I went into the Form 1 process with a card that had already been expired and renewed online. In eForms you can upload a ton of documents, so I made sure I uploaded a PDF file of the receipt showing I had renewed in conjunction with my old card. I was lucky and had the new card arrive, I also uploaded that. But again, in eForms, you could see my progression from each file uploaded. They were fine with it and never questioned anything. Now is the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds good. What about the c&r, can I do the same? I didn’t go thru all this cause I wasn’t planning on being here much longer but may be here for a few more years so might as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Sounds good. What about the c&r, can I do the same? I didn’t go thru all this cause I wasn’t planning on being here much longer but may be here for a few more years so might as well.
View Quote

I believe C&Rs still need to be done on paper, so I'd just include copies showing you renewed your FOID. I would also include ISP's statement on how it is still valid.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m SBRing my SP5 and just got it engraved at Krios Engraving in Geneseo. Lee is an Army vet and FFL. Laser engraved while I waited, but you can ship to him as well. $45. Top notch!

https://krios-engraving.com/
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Would a c&r be denied if your physical address is in Chicago due to the so called AWB?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:21:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#36]
Originally Posted By Chompion:
Would a c&r be denied if your physical address is in Chicago due to the so called AWB?
View Quote

Why would it be?  Getting a C&R does not mean you are buying anything on the Chicago AWB list.   There are some reports of people in Cook/Chicago even getting an SBR approved iirc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Guys, I'm an SOT in MO.  I have a question.  Is it just SBR's legal there?  Are SBS' legal as well, or not?  I have a guy from there asking about it on a GunBroker Auction.

Thanks!
Aaron
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#38]
Originally Posted By NOMAAM:
Guys, I'm an SOT in MO.  I have a question.  Is it just SBR's legal there?  Are SBS' legal as well, or not?  I have a guy from there asking about it on a GunBroker Auction.

Thanks!
Aaron
View All Quotes

Thanks!
Aaron

IANAL

Never looked into it but have read DD and AOW may be OK (dont know specifics) but SBS are not.  Perhaps someone who knows for sure will be along with an answer.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1
(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
   Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.
   (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(7) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries
(ii) any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches; or
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Of course the guy bid and then asked the question. 😕 I guarantee by all the questions he asked he doesn't have a C&R.  Man, selling NFA stuff on GB sucks a bunch..... thanks for the help man.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:12:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#40]
Of course the guy bid and then asked the question. 😕 I guarantee by all the questions he asked he doesn't have a C&R.  Man, selling NFA stuff on GB sucks a bunch..... thanks for the help man.
View Quote

C&R or military reenactor membership gets you SBR.  Suppressors get talked about here every so often but expect thats a long way off unless court ordered like our CCL was.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By korgs130:
I’m SBRing my SP5 and just got it engraved at Krios Engraving in Geneseo. Lee is an Army vet and FFL. Laser engraved while I waited, but you can ship to him as well. $45. Top notch!

https://krios-engraving.com/
View Quote

@korgs130

Isn’t an MP5 less than 26”? Do you have a fixed stock and not a folder? Maybe I’m confused on the IL law for it and also have an mp5 I’d like to SBR
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I’m getting ready to do this, thanks for all the info guys.

Can I put my wife down as a responsible person for a C&R or is that only for dealers?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I just finished this process!  I mailed out my C&R app on 01/30/21 and received my approval for a form 1 e file on 4/8/21.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Got an itch to scratch, last two stamps had been filed the old fashioned way. Looking to e-file this go around, do you still mail in the fingerprint reference cards?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By NoQuarters:
Got an itch to scratch, last two stamps had been filed the old fashioned way. Looking to e-file this go around, do you still mail in the fingerprint reference cards?
View Quote

Yeah, you will get a cover letter to mail with fingerprint cards when you submit the form.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 11b_2P:

Yeah, you will get a cover letter to mail with fingerprint cards when you submit the form.
View Quote

Thanks for the info, read the thread but didn’t see it referenced anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I’ve been putting this off way to long. Any trouble in will county with our democrat sheriff? I know its only notification but this is a process I’ve never done.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Any other place to get engraving? Bat is 100 and I feel that might be too much.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:39:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#49]
I recall people recommending a place in Bensenville, but is that too far?

ETA

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/While-you-wait-firearms-engraving-in-Chicago-area/23-654918/
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I recall people recommending a place in Bensenville, but is that too far?

ETA

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/While-you-wait-firearms-engraving-in-Chicago-area/23-654918/
View Quote

About an hour for me but it sounds like excellent service.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top