BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deserteaglexxx:
Did we ever get by the 26” length restriction? That just screws the whole sbr thing up. Very poorly written language.
View Quote
Do not think it has changed.   I think there was a bill in the 2017 assembly to change it but it went nowhere and I dont think another one ever got submitted in 2018 as the antis have been going silly with all their "guns and the 2A are bad"  bills.

...(7) A person possessing a rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Did we ever get by the 26” length restriction? That just screws the whole sbr thing up. Very poorly written language.
View Quote
I want to say even when I threw my 7.5" upper on my SBR lower, with the stock fully extended it was still 26" or greater.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It just takes away so many rifles, ps90, Kriss Vector and the new cmmg banshee to name a few.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It just takes away so many rifles, ps90, Kriss Vector and the new cmmg banshee to name a few.
View Quote
Only thing I would wanna sbr is a ps90. Sucks because it makes it so much better sbr’ed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry if this has been answered within the thread guys, but my head is spinning after 10+ pages.  Can someone clarify the engraving aspect for me?  Why is that necessary?   If I understand correctly, I have to have a serial # identified on the ATF paperwork prior to sending in for the stamp, correct? If I have a C&R, couldn't I go to an actual Class III dealer in WI, IA, or IN and purchase the SBR that way and then send off the stamp paperwork?  For me to find an engraver within 2+ hours makes it a wash vs. just purchasing from a Class III dealer.

Thank You
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sundance435:
Sorry if this has been answered within the thread guys, but my head is spinning after 10+ pages.  Can someone clarify the engraving aspect for me?  Why is that necessary?   If I understand correctly, I have to have a serial # identified on the ATF paperwork prior to sending in for the stamp, correct? If I have a C&R, couldn't I go to an actual Class III dealer in WI, IA, or IN and purchase the SBR that way and then send off the stamp paperwork?  For me to find an engraver within 2+ hours makes it a wash vs. just purchasing from a Class III dealer.

Thank You
View Quote
If you want to use one of your lowers to build a SBR then you have to engrave it with your first and last name city and state.

If you want to purchase an existing SBR then there is no engraving requirement since it will already be engraved with the manufacturer's information

Either way you will be waiting about one year to get the paperwork back. Personally, I would not risk purchasing an existing SBR because if the dealer goes out of business now you have another headache trying to get your money back
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Any updates on this?  Who have people been using for engraving?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sundance435:
Any updates on this?  Who have people been using for engraving?
View Quote
I used hotspot engraving out in bensenville over a year ago ($80), the others that I did before that were shipped out of state for engraving.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]
As most here know, very soon this SBR activity will be banned in Illinois. So will this discussion, because promoting illegal activity is prohibited on most gun sites. An activity we’ve enjoyed for decades will become a state felony under the new UUW statutes that will pass with the new governor. I’d like to
know how all here are preparing for this inevitability. I started selling, to Cabelas, all my arms that are on ban lists in New York and California. I know some live by the motto “ from my cold dead hands” but who here will resist with force any attempt to remove said firearm from their possession?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LILGUY:
As most here know, very soon this SBR activity will be banned in Illinois. So will this discussion, because promoting illegal activity is prohibited on most gun sites. An activity we’ve enjoyed for decades will become a state felony under the new UUW statutes that will pass with the new governor.
View Quote
Opinion, not fact...
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#11]
As most here know, very soon this SBR activity will be banned in Illinois. So will this discussion, because promoting illegal activity is prohibited on most gun sites. An activity we’ve enjoyed for decades will become a state felony under the new UUW statutes that will pass with the new governor. I’d like to
know how all here are preparing for this inevitability. I started selling, to Cabelas, all my arms that are on ban lists in New York and California. I know some live by the motto “ from my cold dead hands” but who here will resist with force any attempt to remove said firearm from their possession?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
its probably best that YOU  do sell any guns you might have...i mean,you may as well hand them over to some goons and ask them nicely to not shoot you
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:41:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LILGUY] [#13]
Insulting me doesn’t change the times we’re in or the political reality we are facing. We are looking at major changes in Illinois gun laws. I’m an RSO at my gun club, I work the centerfire days on our range where most of the guns are MSRs.
I asked the dozen members at a E medical training seminar yesterday what they planned to do about what’s on the horizon in our state. After the initial defiant what guns and they fell off my bass boat it got very subdued and serious.
It was clear that no one was sure how these changes would shake out. We all realize no one will show up at the range with banned items, they will go into deep storage or you move them out. It’s over for us in Illinois when the Progressives take complete power, they’ve promised it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Back on topic,

I have a stamped lower in a Trust with an address in Michigan.

I keep it in rifle configuration while in IL, with a pistol lower for my short barreled upper.

What is the best way to get the SBR approved for IL?  Is C&R necessary with the stamp already approved?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MadCowRacer:
Back on topic,

I have a stamped lower in a Trust with an address in Michigan.

I keep it in rifle configuration while in IL, with a pistol lower for my short barreled upper.

What is the best way to get the SBR approved for IL?  Is C&R necessary with the stamp already approved?
View Quote
Did you move here or just visiting?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote
Lived here for 13 years

Got the trust in MI because it was easier and to let my family use suppressors with less worry while hunting.  Threw a couple lowers in the trust as SBR's before 41F  just getting around to figuring out if it's worth using the lower here or just using a pistol
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Lived here for 13 years

Got the trust in MI because it was easier and to let my family use suppressors with less worry while hunting.  Threw a couple lowers in the trust as SBR's before 41F  just getting around to figuring out if it's worth using the lower here or just using a pistol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lived here for 13 years

Since you live here, yes, you will need the C&R. It's only $30 for 3 years. I think mine came back in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know if we can get an sbs stamp?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:
Does anyone know if we can get an sbs stamp?
View Quote
No sbr only
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
This is probably mentioned previously, but when submitting your Form 1, make sure to include a copy of your FOID card in the packet.

I inadvertently forgot to do so in a packet of 3 paper Form 1s I submitted last August.  I just received a letter from my examiner requesting a copy of my FOID.  
Just wanted to save anyone here the trouble of sending it in 9 month after the fact.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Could someone explain the trust deal for me? My parents are looking to retire to TN in the very near future and due to such are creating a family trust. Would this allow me to own/use NFA toys out there??
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:56:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subiescott] [#22]
Anyone here have success with eForms?

Edit: For what it's worth, ATF told me today you are allowed....and we're wondering why one would not be able to.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:06:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flthy_McNsty] [#23]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:
Anyone here have success with eForms?

Edit: For what it's worth, ATF told me today you are allowed....and we're wondering why one would not be able to.
View Quote
I have had a successful Individual Form 1 approval via eForms on an SBR.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#24]
@Flthy_McNsty thanks for replying back, I thought this thread was OOS lol.

Sounds great, I made the plunge anyway. Sent off my C&R which should have arrived yesterday. ATF copy to Portland was delayed for some reason and CLEO copy to Springfield went to Elk Grove > Grand Rapids MI > St Louis MO > still en route. Both USPS Priority lol....so the forms better not get lost.

Any tips on filing the Form 1? How long you wait and did you send in a copy of your FOID?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#25]
@Subiescott

1.  Yes, make sure to include a copy of your FOID card. If you don't they will request it.  In my case it was 8 months after I originally submitted my paper Form 1.  Once I sent them a copy it was about a 3 week turn around.

If you are submitting a Form 1 via eForms, there is a step that allows you to include various images with your submission.  Use this step to include a scanned copy of your FOID.

2.  Also include a copy of your C&R just to be safe.  If you are submitting via eForms, you must first have your account associated with your 003 FFL (C&R).  My first eForms Form 1 was denied because I added a scanned copy of it in the same manner I added my FOID above.  Rather, You must follow the instructions found here:  https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-efrom-filing-with-a-ffl-license-requires-additional-information.

3. If filing via eForms, do yourself a favor and make sure each step is complete before submitting.  Check, Recheck, Recheck again before submitting.  Then after submitting, review the resulting Form 1 that is saved in the system.  The eForms system sucks, its bloated and slow and in my case it lost all of my entered data on one page. I was able to update the info after using the Ask an Agent menu option.

As for wait times....
I have 7 stamps....
3 via Paper Form 1 in March 2016 took 6 months,
3 via Paper Form 1 in August 2018 took 9 months
1 via eForms Form 1 in December 2018 took 4 months. However, it may have only taken weeks initially before being denied as mentioned above.   It was denied within 12 days and at the time people were getting their eForms submitted Individual Form 1s back that quickly.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Flthy_McNsty:
@Subiescott

1.  Yes, make sure to include a copy of your FOID card. If you don't they will request it.  In my case it was 8 months after I originally submitted my paper Form 1.  Once I sent them a copy it was about a 3 week turn around.

If you are submitting a Form 1 via eForms, there is a step that allows you to include various images with your submission.  Use this step to include a scanned copy of your FOID.

2.  Also include a copy of your C&R just to be safe.  If you are submitting via eForms, you must first have your account associated with your 003 FFL (C&R).  My first eForms Form 1 was denied because I added a scanned copy of it in the same manner I added my FOID above.  Rather, You must follow the instructions found here:  https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-efrom-filing-with-a-ffl-license-requires-additional-information.

3. If filing via eForms, do yourself a favor and make sure each step is complete before submitting.  Check, Recheck, Recheck again before submitting.  Then after submitting, review the resulting Form 1 that is saved in the system.  The eForms system sucks, its bloated and slow and in my case it lost all of my entered data on one page. I was able to update the info after using the Ask an Agent menu option.

As for wait times....
I have 7 stamps....
1 via eForms Form 1 in December 2018 took 4 months. However, it may have only taken weeks initially before being denied as mentioned above.   It was denied within 12 days and at the time people were getting their eForms submitted Individual Form 1s back that quickly.

View Quote
@Flthy_McNsty

Sorry only tagging you to keep this thread alive, otherwise I feel like nobody even sees the Illinois sub-forum to begin with lol.

Anyway, ATF received my paperwork on the 19th. Somewhere between then and today (21st), they already charged my card for the fee. I'm assuming that's good news?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
@Flthy_McNsty

Sorry only tagging you to keep this thread alive, otherwise I feel like nobody even sees the Illinois sub-forum to begin with lol.

Anyway, ATF received my paperwork on the 19th. Somewhere between then and today (21st), they already charged my card for the fee. I'm assuming that's good news?
View All Quotes
@Subiescott

As for wait times....
I have 7 stamps....

@Flthy_McNsty

They're quick to take your money, but slow with follow through.

When I attempted my SBR the first time, they charged my card within a few days but waited about a month before denying the application. Refund came back in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, they cash that check as soon as it gets there.  It does let you know they received it though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:16:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subiescott] [#29]
Figured as much. The new FFL forms are different apparently from talking to others...but in any event here's how I filled out my C&R (Type 03) license....

*Applicant Business / Activity is - Collector

*Business / Activity Address - My home address. Mailing address stated if different from line #6 (business / activity)...I put DNA or does not apply.

*Line 9, describe the activity the applicant is engaged in - Collector

*Hours of operation - Added a few hours of only one day.

*Line 13-17 were left 100% blank as the application states that if applying for a C&R....to skip those line items. Any other line in my app where I had nothing to do with...I put DNA or does not apply.

*CLEO notification sent to Acting Director Kelly of Illinois State Police.

*In responsible person questionnaire, on line 1 my full name as added as any other field in the entire app where name was necessary. Additionally, for line 3, name of responsible person, my name was added again on the special formatting that field wanted.

*Also in responsible person questionnaire...aliases and position/title both had DNA applied.

*I wasn't 100% sure about what year I moved into my house and put a time frame outside of the five years they were looking for. It's only one year beyond that parameter.

*Any N/A boxes were checked along with appropriate race and ethnicity. Illegal alien field also set as DNA.

App was pretty straight forward otherwise and I included a copy of both my DL and FOID to the ATF and CLEO. You guys think I got a good chance at passing this process?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Figured as much. The new FFL forms are different apparently from talking to others...but in any event here's how I filled out my C&R (Type 03) license....

*Applicant Business / Activity is - Collector

*Business / Activity Address - My home address. Mailing address stated if different from line #6 (business / activity)...I put DNA or does not apply.

*Line 9, describe the activity the applicant is engaged in - Collector

*Hours of operation - Added a few hours of only one day.

*Line 13-17 were left 100% blank as the application states that if applying for a C&R....to skip those line items. Any other line in my app where I had nothing to do with...I put DNA or does not apply.

*CLEO notification sent to Acting Director Kelly of Illinois State Police.

*In responsible person questionnaire, on line 1 my full name as added as any other field in the entire app where name was necessary. Additionally, for line 3, name of responsible person, my name was added again on the special formatting that field wanted.

*Also in responsible person questionnaire...aliases and position/title both had DNA applied.

*I wasn't 100% sure about what year I moved into my house and put a time frame outside of the five years they were looking for. It's only one year beyond that parameter.

*Any N/A boxes were checked along with appropriate race and ethnicity. Illegal alien field also set as DNA.

App was pretty straight forward otherwise and I included a copy of both my DL and FOID to the ATF and CLEO. You guys think I got a good chance at passing this process?
View Quote
It probably won't matter (and things may have changed since I did mine), the CLEO has to be the Chief in your jurisdiction. I had to go to my Sheriff since I was juuuust barely outisde of my town's jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]

It probably won't matter (and things may have changed since I did mine), the CLEO has to be the Chief in your jurisdiction. I had to go to my Sheriff since I was juuuust barely outisde of my town's jurisdiction.
View Quote
Yeah I was curious about the CLEO part as well. I thought about doing the county sheriffs since I'm in an unincorporated area however after talking to a bunch of other dudes, they advised to utilize the all encompassing agency...the one and only ISP. I've heard the CLEO often yes shreds the app, throws it away, or says nothing back. That's fine though, I interpret the C&R CLEO deal to be a notify deal. And notify I did.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah I was curious about the CLEO part as well. I thought about doing the county sheriffs since I'm in an unincorporated area however after talking to a bunch of other dudes, they advised to utilize the all encompassing agency...the one and only ISP. I've heard the CLEO often yes shreds the app, throws it away, or says nothing back. That's fine though, I interpret the C&R CLEO deal to be a notify deal. And notify I did.
View All Quotes

I sent mine to my town CLEO, she emailed me back a few days later saying that I was literally on the wrong side of the street to be in her jurisdiction and I needed to send it to County. Sent it to them and never heard a peep.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#33]

I sent mine to my town CLEO, she emailed me back a few days later saying that I was literally on the wrong side of the street to be in her jurisdiction and I needed to send it to County. Sent it to them and never heard a peep.
View Quote
Yeah see I'm literally in one of those areas as well. City proper is right across the street however I do know the Sheriffs dept would respond here. I haven't heard from ISP to date so hope it will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Random question concerning this 26" limit--

I've got a couple of <26" OAL SBRs.  I also have a C&R license.  Am I okay to bring them to IL assuming an approved 5320.20?  Or is it always 26"+?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#35]
@Subiescott

As for wait times....
I have 7 stamps....

View Quote
@Flthy_McNsty

So my C&R arrived yesterday and took a total of 12 days from receipt to actually being licensed. I next logged into eForms and submitted a request to associate my license with my profile. Question though, I didn't have a EIN and on reading some online stuff....it states an EIN is required for NFA filings. Is that not what I'm going to be doing via eForms...filing a Form 1? Or is this something different? Either way I entered the info it required and submitted as a super user. Another window popped up saying pending. Am I supposed to receive an email confirming my request and / or see it updated in the FFL / AECA / FEIN Access section? Or does that request just enter the system with nothing confirming it other than the "pending" pop-up?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Anyone know if an MP5 SBR'd would meet the 26" requirement? With either the A3 stock or a B&T stock? I don't have the gun yet but would possibly like to SBR if able.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
I'm in Will County, and have never received any sort of response to the copies of forms that I've mailed them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By gotfish:
I'm in Will County, and have never received any sort of response to the copies of forms that I've mailed them.
View All Quotes

I highly doubt they spend more than 5 minutes with one, making sure you're not a fuck head, then chuck it in the fuck-it bucket.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Question, can I give my home and then a mailing address? Our mailwoman sucks. Shes always leaving our mail somewhere else and we get neighbors mail as well. I would be using my po box. Can I use that for the c&r and tax stamp?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
Question, can I give my home and then a mailing address? Our mailwoman sucks. Shes always leaving our mail somewhere else and we get neighbors mail as well. I would be using my po box. Can I use that for the c&r and tax stamp?
View Quote
I literally just put my C&R away in the safe from renewal, but I think the renewal form says something about having a physical address with hours (only for contact purposes). It doesn't take long to get the C&R back, so submit it under the PO and see if they reject it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sogan] [#42]
@Flthy_McNsty thanks for the explanation on how to add the C&R to the account first. Quick question though, The C&R states that "the signature must be an original". If I sign the C&R and make copies does that still qualify as an original signature? Im assuming they just mean no stamped signatures? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Sogan:
@Flthy_McNsty thanks for the explanation on how to add the C&R to the account first. Quick question though, The C&R states that "the signature must be an original". If I sign the C&R and make copies does that still qualify as an original signature? Im assuming they just mean no stamped signatures? Thanks
View Quote
If you are filing through eForms, I don't really think it matters all that much because they are just matching you with a record in their system.
If you are filing a paper Form 1, I don't even think it is a requirement to send it, I just did to to be safe.  I just take a copy of my license on my scanner and it is already signed.   They have never had an issue with it before, but its the ATF so they can change seemingly on their whim.   The worst that would happen if they take issue with it is they would request a new copy and you would get delayed a bit.  I doubt they would deny you outright for something like that.

They will deny you outright if you don't have your C&R FFL linked in your eFile account, I have dealt with that as I just include a scanned image with my submission.  That time is was only week or so after I had submitted so there wasn't a huge delay.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Did you guys send your C&R license with your CLEO copy?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Sogan:
Did you guys send your C&R license with your CLEO copy?
View Quote
I'm pretty sure I did, just to not cause any headaches.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#46]
ATF now requiring foid and ccl info for form 1 approval.

Anyone else seeing this?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Anyone else seeing this?
View Quote
Source?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Anyone else seeing this?
View Quote
I sent FOID info last time anyway, hoping to save the aggravation of being asked for it, but why would they need CCL info?  I can't see why that would even be relevant.  One has nothing to do with the other.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I sent FOID info last time anyway, hoping to save the aggravation of being asked for it, but why would they need CCL info? I can't see why that would even be relevant.  One has nothing to do with the other.
View All Quotes

Anyone else seeing this?
I sent FOID info last time anyway, hoping to save the aggravation of being asked for it, but why would they need CCL info? I can't see why that would even be relevant.  One has nothing to do with the other.
Welcome to the state of Illinois where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogrobber13] [#50]
Source?
View All Quotes

Anyone else seeing this?
Source?
Got a letter in the mail from ATF, Steven Crites NFA Processing Branch.

"This is your only and final notice."

30 days to respond with needed info or disapproved.

ETA; Sorry letter says foid OR ccl.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top