Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:57:23 AM EDT
Anyone here ordered from them?

www.southernammo.com/prod02.htm

Prices seem too good to be true for NATO spec ammo, but I ordered with my credit card so it'll be easy to get my money back if they are indeed, too good to be true.

If not, I ordered 3,000 rounds of .223, a 3,000 rounds of .308 and it came to around $750.

$109/thou for .308
$105/thou for .223

Lady on the phone said that many people that are selling their ammo and that is why they're so cheap, as in, they supply many of the companies that we know of that are selling surplus ammo.

The only downside to it is that the headstamps are going to be mixed, so you're not going to get an entire thousand of the same type of ammo.

She said it's 100% guaranteed and if I don't like it, I can even send it back.  It took two days to get a hold of them, but I left a messege yesterday and they got back to me.

What do y'all think?  Too good to be true?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how it works out. Sounds like good prices.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Tim,

I see on their website:

www.southernammo.com/products.htm

State laws regarding the sale of ammunition

Individual Local and State laws are to numerous to list; however the following sales restrictions will apply.
Illinois:  Ammunition sales only to 01 FFL Holders.

Did you have any problems with this?  Or are you having it shipped to an FFL?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention that.  I have been emailing back and forth, and due to the new law clarifying the FOID act, they will ship to Illinois non-FFL holders.  Just fax in your FOID and you're good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#4]
does anyone know why it is mixed headstamps?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
tim, let me know how the ammo turns out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
does anyone know why it is mixed headstamps?

Does kind of sound like reloads doesn't it?  Good price at any rate!  I will wait for the range report.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
It 's a armory floor sweepings.

I wish you had posted before buying. I didn't either. See my post here about the breakdown of headstamps.

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141979

A fair amount of KABOOMS assciated with this ammo. especialy "TZ80" of whiich they did not filter out.

Follow the links in that thread
www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22276&highlight=Israeli+ammo

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142685&pagenumber=2

I ended up pulling most of it down. I was also attracted by the price. I keep finding out that , more often than not with a little reaserch, you get what you pay for.

AIM SA is thhe best deal right now.

JR
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm.  Debating cancelling my order now.  Maybe I'll reduce it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Screw it, I'm not buying that crap, my life is more important.  Guaranteed or not.

Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Tim

I shot some before pulling it down and I gotta tell you that I though about those kabooms most of the time. No peace of mind whatsoever.

I don't know about  the 5.56.

I literaly had to sort the 7.62 and cull out the TZ80. As I watched the differnt MFRs and years go by ( kind of like like time travel ) It really made me wonder where they get this stuff. You got Win, lake city, Italian, Portugese, and a preponderance of Isralie. It's all been tumbled clean. Because it probably looked like hell.)

No more mixed ammo for me.

JR

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
There's an ammo review in the Ammunition section on this site for the 5.56. No problems reported with the 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's an ammo review in the Ammunition section on this site for the 5.56. No problems reported with the 5.56.

Thanks.  I'm still going to pass.  Wolf is fine for my AR, and tumbled powder = possible overpressure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]
"Lady on the phone said that many people that are selling their ammo and that is why they're so cheap, as in, they supply many of the companies that we know of that are selling surplus ammo."

That they are trying to mislead you is also not a good sign. Most of the companies selling surplus ammo have it packed in original containers/boxes/battlepacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top