Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2003 12:48:47 AM EDT
Recently got my first pickup truck. I know in Wisconsin, it is legal to ride in the back of a truck if you are over 16. IS it legal in Illinois? any stipulations?

I know the hazards involved. I usually only do it if me and a a few buddies are heading to the range. I've got a cap on back, so it helps protect from debris. OF course in a rollover, it might hurt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
i can't find it in the Illinois Vehicle Code.  I can tell you, I never stop anybody for it, but then again I'm in the sticks, too.

If you are over 18, it shouldn't be an issue.  Drivers under 18 have to have everyone seat belted.  You can always contact your local PD or ISP headquaters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Everybody rides in the back of pickups where I'm at.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
NAM - I'm LE and they specifically told us in the academy that anyone riding in the back of a pickup is considered "cargo." Therefore, it is not illegal to have them back there and they do not have to be belted in or anything. Just use common sense though, Its fine for riding around the farm but I'd be pissed to see someone crusing down the interstate at 75 MPH with their friends in the back. I just might have to stop you for something else and write tickets :P
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
We make our son ride in the trunk.  I'd consider him to be either cargo or baggage.  It depends on how much we like him that day.

Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Well theres a boy whos 21 here that got tossed out of the bed of a pickup a few years back.He was then run over by the truck.He spends his time in a wheelchair and a semi coma.(The lights are on,but nobodys home)
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well theres a boy whos 21 here that got tossed out of the bed of a pickup a few years back.He was then run over by the truck.He spends his time in a wheelchair and a semi coma.(The lights are on,but nobodys home)

doesn't sound liek fun.

If i ever have anyoen in back, i try to be extra careful. It's usually only for short trips. I've also got a cap on the back of the truck, so it helps protect a bit more. They're still screwed in a rollover, but it helps keep thme from falling out or getting hit with debris.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just might have to stop you for something else and write tickets :P

and cops wonder why most civilians don't  like cops.
typical  

biggest problem i have is when i see some jerk  driving around with his dog in the bed of the truck, now that makes me want to pull the guy over and beat the shit out of him. but then again, i am not a leo that can make up an excuse to pull someone over
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

typical  

biggest problem i have is when i see some jerk  driving around with his dog in the bed of the truck, now that makes me want to pull the guy over and beat the shit out of him. but then again, i am not a leo that can make up an excuse to pull someone over

DITTO!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

typical  

I let people ride in the back of my truck, brings back the good old days on the farm I grew up on in North Dakota.
Do you really want to make that cop irritated......... and this is what pisses me off with a lot of cops.........NOT ALL OF THEM      JUST SOME.........they call us civilians, next time they do that ask he/or she if she is still on military active duty or a vet.........   they get red in the face. I am a veteran and I prefer to be called a CITIZEN  by a non veteran
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top