User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
no its not. bigger citys by the northern standards. id hit austin, ely and eureka if you could. only reason i would go the elko way is to see the lamoyal canyon i was talking about.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I looked up Lamoille Canyon, looks very nice. Now I gotta decide the route. After we wake up on Tuesday I was thinking about going to Lake Tahoe as I've never been there either, isn't there a road that can be driven around the whole lake? What does that take, like an hour or so to do?

You CAN drive all the way around, but Lake Tahoe is split right down the middle where half is in NV and half is in the PRK. I don't know if you're willing to venture across the line.

It would take a at least a couple hours to get around Tahoe, but it is well worth the trip for the views/scenery. To give you a time scale, it took me 35 minutes to get from the junction of Hwy 50 and SR207 to Incline Village (i.e. Hwy 431 - Mt. Rose Hwy) the other night, and I wasn't stopping to look at the shrubs

GO TO TAHOE!

ETA: Directions and Map

Red Path:

1) Come out of Reno on Hwy 395 South
2) Merge onto the Mt. Rose Hwy (Hwy 431), and go up the Mt. Rose highway
3) Turn left onto highway 28 (which is the Nevada side of the road that drives along the lake)
4) Enjoy incline village and the view of the lake
5) Hwy 28 merges with Hwy 50
6) Turn left onto Hwy 50, and then head out through Spooner summit on Highway 50 out of Carson City.
7) Then you're on Highway 50 on your way out the way you were talking about.

If you can stomach being in the PRK, I would drive all the way around the lake, and especially hit Emerald Bay.

In which case:

Green Path:

1) Come out of Reno on Hwy 395 South
2) Merge onto the Mt. Rose Hwy (Hwy 431), and go up the Mt. Rose highway
3) Turn RIGHT onto highway 28 (which is the Nevada side of the road that drives along the lake)
4) Enjoy incline village and the view of the lake
5) Hwy 28 dead ends into Hwy 89 in Tahoe City - Merge left onto Hwy 89
6) Stop at Emerald Bay
7) Hwy 89 crosses Hwy 50 - turn LEFT at the junction of Hwy 50
8) Drive through South Lake Tahoe (at 25 MPH), gawk at the tourists and the mecca to gambling, skiing, and consumerism all rolled into one little shoreline
8.5) You COULD turn righ on State Route 207 and come down the Kingsbury Grade into Gardnerville and experience the most magnificent views of the Carson Valley, and swing through Hamdogs one more time
9) If you don't take SR207, Stay on Hwy 50 through South Lake Tahoe, and then head out through Spooner summit on Highway 50 out of Carson City (you only get views of Carson City this way, which aren't NEARLY as great as the views of the Carson Valley and Gardnerville ).
10) Then you're on Highway 50 on your way out the way you were talking about.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
austin is neat place, then again so is ely and eureka. if you get a chance should check out lamoyal canyon(sp?) place is soooo fuckin awsome.

If you're taking 50 East through Austin, stop at Spence Hotsprings! It's in Big Smokey Valley
just off Highway 50.  East of Austin on Hwy 50, take Nevada Highway 376 south for about 1/4 mile. Turn left onto a gravel road (look for the Toquima Cave Historic Marker sign) and travel southeast about 5 1/2 miles. Turn left onto a dirt road. This leads to the spring, which is perched on the side of a hill.

It's a really cool place - I always take my .22 to the tub with me so I can plink at rabbits, etc., while I'm soaking.

Enjoy your trip - Nevada really is a beautiful place...
Remember there's water in most of the canyons in the hills, if you ever need it.  And you'll never go hungry - you'd be surprised how much food is out there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You will never make around the lake....west side is always closed this time of year due to avalanches. You can go to north shore or south shore....hiway is south  of Carson City. Its really a bad time of year to cruise around the state....icy roads and its gonna be storming.  Ely and on the way out there is nice but its colder than the rest of the state right now. As you cross the state you hit multiple mountain ranges around 8,000 feet you have to cross. At least there wont be millions of cricketts on the road...crunch crunch LOL.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If you take 50 you will definitely see THE TREE
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
you should have planned this trip in the summer so you could have gone mormon crickett mashing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This was the trip I was gonna take last Nov but Larry freaked me out telling me I'm gonna get fucked by the closed roads from the snow.

Just like he did a few posts up and it's now April.

Like that Vanessa Williams song that goes 'And sometimes it snows in June..." What fucking place is this broad from where that's a strange sort of occurance?

Seriously duder, it snows here year goddamned round. We've had snow in the Valley here in August.

We've also had 80 degree Febuaries. This place has the altogether weirdest weather in the entirety of the globe, man.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#11]
hmmm cant say i listen to alot of her......
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So after Reno what is the more interesting drive? I'm going either to take the 80 and spend a night in Elko, then to Ely for another night then home or from Reno take the 50 east. Looks like Austin may be an interesting place to see.

Hwy. 50 is interesting the 'Loneliest Hiway in America',,, correct? your making one heck of a trip Bob you will not have any of this,,,it's Spring

if you go Hwy.50 you will definitely want to check out this

Historic in part because a Pony Express station is/was in the immediate vicinity now a recreation area ever heard  of 'Sand Boarding'? Yup right there man at Sand Mountain worth a view never been past that I hear Lamoille Canyon(Rubys) as mentioned is worthy the look as is Austin,Ely Rail Museum etc. nice Trek man I still remember the ebay Mom and Pop  resort in the middle of BF Nevada you posted some years ago,,,,, I stilll want the 'Camp Otis' position
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Looks like getting to Gardnerville is gonna be "fun".

If you consider sitting in a car for nine hours "fun," then yeah, it's simultaneously a barrel of monkeys and snakes on a plane.

Dude, it's not like you're traversing the Alps or anything. It's all just high desert with rolling hills once you get past Tonapah.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#16]
All roads around the lake are open right now. A drive around the lake takes a good 2-3 hours. That includes site seeing & all the crap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#17]
forgot to add in Carson City the Nevada State Museum is quite interesting,,,Lots of History from why this is the Battle Born State to the U.S.S.Nevada Silver display(Pearl Harbor) and displays of times gone past,

I am sure from the last time I was there the Armory room will catch your eyes,,,a couple pieces worth viewing
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
forgot to add in Carson City the Nevada State Museum is quite interesting,,,Lots of History from why this is the Battle Born State to the U.S.S.Nevada Silver display(Pearl Harbor) and displays of times gone past,

I am sure from the last time I was there the Armory room will catch your eyes,,,a couple pieces worth viewing

+1. If you hit the Mint (that's the building that houses the museum), go across the street to the Nugget and check out the Gold Nugget display. Not much by Vegas standards, but cool nonetheless. Also, there is the train Museum on the South end of Carson, if you like that sort of thing. While you are in Carson, you might check out the Capitol complex. You can CCW on the grounds, but the buildings are verboten. It is worth the visit to see just how accessible your state reps are. You can usually walk right in to the Governor's office, sometimes he'll even be there (used to see Bob Miller a LOT). Reno has the Harrrah's automobile museum, as well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top