Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 1:33:45 PM EDT
Just sent in my college application to Fox Valley Technical College for the associate degree program in Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement.

I should be attending CJLE classes this fall.

Now I have to get in shape :)

Just wanted to share, since I was bored... ;)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrads and good luck! When you become a pig.............I mean cop be sure to cut us ARFCOMers some slack!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Im currently at WWTC for the CJLE program...It's a good time you'll meet some people you'll know forever...but remeber their the competition to :P
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to be negative, but have you considered a degree in another more usable field, since most PD's will hire with a degree, regardless of major?  That way, if you don't get on a PD, or decide not to pursue LE in the future, you can have a degree that's good for another line of work.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats.  Our last two hires have been from FVTC.

That said, a 4-year degree in ANYTHING will make you much more promotable in the future, and also provides a back-up plan in case you end up hating LE.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought about it, but I don't really want to fall back on anything else, because I thought my life was meant to go into computers, but since I got into guns, I've been into computers less and less, and that's a good thing. I don't want to be behind a desk or working on computers 8 hours a day.

If I can't get a job in LE, I can get a Security Loss Prevention degree in only 2 semesters with the CJLE degree, I know security dont pay much but that way I can fall back on $7-9 / hr if need be :)

Never really talked to anyone currently in the program what should I come to expect? IN my current state I'm not very in shape at all, lots of physical related stuff within the college?

-David

PS- Thanks  for the warm congrats.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Physical stuff to get hired, certainly.  Not sure about within the Academy, but they'll certainly encourage you to get fit.  No sense graduating too fat/slow to pass the physical agility test of a department.

Whatever else you do, work on your basic math skills, and work hard on your writing ability.  Learn to write complete sentences, recognize bad spelling, and know the difference between their, they're, and there.  It'll make your work experience much easier (and long-lasting)  .  It doesn't matter how good of a cop you are if you can't write a decent report about what you did, or saw.

Oh, and have a back-up plan.  The average person changes careers something like 3-5 times (?) in their life these days.  I'm on my third.     Although it might seem to be your one true dream, be ready and able to do something else.  If nothing else, until you land your dream LE job.  Security enforcement at $7/hour might be great for LE-related work while you're going through school, but as a long-term career,
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I should be physically fit (or close to it) by the start of the second / third semester, so that wont be a problem, as long as they dont make me run 144234 miles at the tech :)

I have decent grammar skills, considering I used to do some freelance writing :)

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
David,  You'll be starting at the Tech 2 weeks after I graduate.  The General Ed classes are not very hard.  I've got a few books I'll hang onto and sell 'em to you when you have to take the classes.  I've talked to a few people in the law enforcement program and they seem to like it.  I've also had some dealings with people in the program who are doing campus security.  Did you know it's possible to hit 70mph on the road around the back parking lot road?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
David,  You'll be starting at the Tech 2 weeks after I graduate.  The General Ed classes are not very hard.  I've got a few books I'll hang onto and sell 'em to you when you have to take the classes.  I've talked to a few people in the law enforcement program and they seem to like it.  I've also had some dealings with people in the program who are doing campus security.  Did you know it's possible to hit 70mph on the road around the back parking lot road?  

I knew that.  I have a total of 5 years going to FVTC, and a degree and a diploma to show for it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I can do all the general ed stuff except the math So if anyone knows Algebra well and wants to tutor me, lol... :)

That'd be cool to get some books cheaper. I heard they do alot of cool stuff there? :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew that.  I have a total of 5 years going to FVTC, and a degree and a diploma to show for it.

I guess they let anyone go there huh?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That will be decided when they decide whether or not to let you attend!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That will be decided when they decide whether or not to let you attend!

Well, I was taking the math and reading ACCUPLACER, and is there any chance you can help me pass those? Because, I failed them miserably, the reading one is ghey, like 3/4 of the questions are right but you have to decide which one is most right... well apparently I think differently than their system.

And I can't do algebra and fractions anymore... lol

:)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't have to take any of those tests to get into FVTC.  All I had to do was show them my high school transcripts and I was all set.  I was in the Electro-Mechanical program which was HEAVY on the math, which I thought was my weak area, but it turns out that I am a capable math student.  They have GOAL classes for those who have weak skills.  Did you look into taking a GOAL class or 2?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I didn't have to take any of those tests to get into FVTC.  All I had to do was show them my high school transcripts and I was all set.  I was in the Electro-Mechanical program which was HEAVY on the math, which I thought was my weak area, but it turns out that I am a capable math student.  They have GOAL classes for those who have weak skills.  Did you look into taking a GOAL class or 2?

yeah my Aunt called me she works in admissions there, she said she can get my application processed faster because she works there, but she said I need to be able to pass those ACCUPLACER tests, and she said if I fail those I have to take GOAL classes, and she said I dont want to take those... so... lol

Im like worried now, I'll have an alser (sp) soon
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah my Aunt called me she works in admissions there, she said she can get my application processed faster because she works there, but she said I need to be able to pass those ACCUPLACER tests, and she said if I fail those I have to take GOAL classes, and she said I dont want to take those... so... lol

Ulser.  Don't worry about the Accuplacer.  It's not too hard.  But study anyway.  I scored pretty high but I know some others that had to take GOAL.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ulser.  Don't worry about the Accuplacer.  It's not too hard.  But study anyway.  I scored pretty high but I know some others that had to take GOAL.

Ulcer.  When you are my age you will have one and know how to spell it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I went in yesterday for the ACCUPLACER test, all nervous afraid of failure, I did pass the test, so I'm not officially in the college. I go in a couple weeks for orientation and to get signed up for this falls Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement program!!!

Thanks for the support ;) Oh this gives me a reason to get a XD 45 now :)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup start your running, I was unable to complete the physical fitness. Bad lungs I couldnt do the run.

Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top