Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 7:00:52 PM EDT
I'm working in Parachute M-F of this week, staying in Rifle.  I'll be stuck in an office 8-5, but should have a few hours in the evening.

Anything to see within a short drive? Decent places to eat in Rifle?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Brickhouse Pizza on the corner of Railroad (the main street north and south) and Third Street is good.  This would be at the second stoplight.  They serve more than just pizza.  

Two blocks west,  tucked back off the street by the creek, is Lily's Kitchen.  It's a Mexican joint that serves great food.  The pizza is also very good.  They have burgers but I've never tried them.  

I've never had a bad meal at either place but l prefer Lily's.

Half a block east from the stoplight is Shooters Grill, the place that made national news where the waitresses wear guns.  But since the other old café closed a couple years ago they just aren't the same.  Used to be real good food but l guess without the competition....

There's Jay's Steakhouse by the bank a dozen blocks north but I've never been real impressed with them.  Usually the food is fairly good but I've had lousy service when l go in alone.  As in 10 cent tip and a note why lousy.  

A block further north and across the street is the Rifle Taphouse.  I've never stopped in. I really don't know anyone who has.

A couple more blocks north is the big "Y" intersection where the highway bypass meets Railroad Ave.  There's a Mexican restaurant there that's actually Salvadoran.  Good food there too.

Take Hwy 13 north to mile marker 7 and you'll find a small parking lot.  It's the acess point to the Rifle Arch.  It's not a spectacular, graceful arch like you'll find in Moab but it's ours. It's is only a mile or so, easy walk if you're inclined for it.  

A couple miles north of town is the boweling alley. Turn right and follow that road up to the golf course.  It sits on the south side of Rifle Gap where Christo hung his damned curtain in the 70's.  The concrete anchor points are still there.  Past that is the lake.

Cross the dam and continue on to Rifle Falls.  You'll have to buy a park pass,  daily's are available, and you can hike around and above them.  Again it's a short walk.

Further north is the fish hatchery.  Free parking and access and you can walk around the fish runs.  Take quarters for the fish food vending machines and have fun feeding the fish.

Past the hatchery is Rifle Mountain Park.  World class rock climbing. Literally.  Go watch the hippies cliffers climb the faces.  Try not to run any over as the belay from the middle of the rows, like they're not supposed to do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!  Thanks for all the info Bumblebee.

I sounds like I got info on eats for the week.  Tried the Brickhouse Pizza tonight, it was pretty good
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top