Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 2:58:07 AM EDT
What is Hwy 71 like, north from Limon to the Nebraska border?  And on to Scottsbluff, Nebraska?  I am considering driving that way, in order to avoid the expected congestion on I-25 north into Wyoming for the eclipse.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
GTG - I used to take that high way all the time. Its always been a good trip except in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it still have the sign that says "No services for 100 miles" ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't be looking any fast food joints, Get what you need in Limon and set the cruise.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
so, any idea if it'll be clear on Monday?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Ask the CSP what they think. Its has to be better than 1-25
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask the CSP what they think. Its has to be better than 1-25
View Quote
Oh, I did.  The Limon office said it should be GTG.  My big concern was farm traffic, they said they're between harvests at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a real good road. Lots of passing lanes if needed. Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Hwy 71 from Scottsbluff to I-80 is a great four lane highway.  It was very busy after the eclipse, but traffic moved at or above the 65 mph speed limit.  From I-80 south it chokes down to two lanes, and wasn't too hot until a ways into Colorado.  Traffic from I-80 to Brush was backed up badly for a fair ways, then opened up some, and opened up wide south of Brush to Limon.  I hadn't been Limon way for a long time.  I was dumbstruck by the HUGE windfarm north of Limon!  There must be hundreds of wind turbines, it looks like it goes on forever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Another farm is being built this spring. I think its west of Limon and mostly in Elbert county. Hope that trip worked for you. I have a friend from the springs that has been parked in WY somewhere for 3 hours so far.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another farm is being built this spring. I think its west of Limon and mostly in Elbert county. Hope that trip worked for you. I have a friend from the springs that has been parked in WY somewhere for 3 hours so far.
View Quote
Oh, traffic came to a dead stop at 6 am in  Cheyenne.  It started backing up badly at Longmont, and was a royal pain until I turned off at I-80 and went to Scottsbluff that way.    I got to see totality in all its glory, from a ways north of the  Sioux County line, at the top of a line of bluffs.  The view was tremendous, and the eclipse was spectacular.

I noticed another wind farm south of Hwy 24, between Ramah and Calhan.  Looks like it sits atop the bluffs over Alta Vista way.  I need to drive up there some time, haven't been to Alta Vista in years.  I think I counted four or more wind farms between Scottsbluff and Calhan.

The other oddity I saw while coming down 71--I spied some large, dark diesel trucks towing big, ominous looking cylindrical trailers that had solar panels high up on each side.  Emblazoned on the sides of the trailers, in big block letters, was the word "HALLIBURTON".  I wonder what they were!  I saw several, all north of Brush, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Nebraska was the way to go.  No problems at all driving up on 76 and 80.   coming back, there was the idiotic construction delay at I80/I76, and then a construction delay at I76 in Denver.  Other than that, smooth sailing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, traffic came to a dead stop at 6 am in  Cheyenne.  It started backing up badly at Longmont, and was a royal pain until I turned off at I-80 and went to Scottsbluff that way.    I got to see totality in all its glory, from a ways north of the  Sioux County line, at the top of a line of bluffs.  The view was tremendous, and the eclipse was spectacular.

I noticed another wind farm south of Hwy 24, between Ramah and Calhan.  Looks like it sits atop the bluffs over Alta Vista way.  I need to drive up there some time, haven't been to Alta Vista in years.  I think I counted four or more wind farms between Scottsbluff and Calhan.

The other oddity I saw while coming down 71--I spied some large, dark diesel trucks towing big, ominous looking cylindrical trailers that had solar panels high up on each side.  Emblazoned on the sides of the trailers, in big block letters, was the word "HALLIBURTON".  I wonder what they were!  I saw several, all north of Brush, IIRC.
View Quote
no pics?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

no pics?
View Quote
Pics, of the eclipse?  No.  Duration was a little under 2:30, I focused on actually watching, studying it, taking it in.  I'd seen it said to leave imaging to the pros, that there would be many great pics around afterwards, and to use the time actually LOOKING at it.  Many people at the observing site had fancy and not so fancy camera equipment set up, and spent all their time taking pics instead of looking.  One young guy at the site was obsessing over his iPhone just before totality began.  I told him to put down the phone and watch it instead.  His father approved of my message.  I've seen many pics of this and earlier eclipses.  Seeing it live, no picture or video can do it justice, there is simply no comparison.

I did take a few pics of the landscape around the site, nothing special.  I wish I'd taken pics of the wind farm and the Halliburton trucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
apologies, I should've been more clear. I was asking for pics of your location, not of the eclipse. I misunderstood your statement:

I got to see totality in all its glory, from a ways north of the Sioux County line, at the top of a line of bluffs. The view was tremendous, and the eclipse was spectacular.

...but you cleared it up saying the landscape was nothing special, thanks, glad to hear you enjoyed it
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
apologies, I should've been more clear. I was asking for pics of your location, not of the eclipse. I misunderstood your statement:

I got to see totality in all its glory, from a ways north of the Sioux County line, at the top of a line of bluffs. The view was tremendous, and the eclipse was spectacular.

...but you cleared it up saying the landscape was nothing special, thanks, glad to hear you enjoyed it
View Quote
Oh, okay!  Where did I say the landscape was nothing special? (Oh, I see!  Sorry!!!  I should rephrase that; I meant my pics were nothing special)  I thought it was great.  LOL The pics are on the large side, I'll have to shrink them a bit:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Click to embiggen.  I could well imagine Injuns on horseback traversing that landscape.  I did not get any pics of the bluffs/buttes just south of Scottsbluff.  They're very impressive, all 'butte-y' and craggy, almost mountain-like.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
awesome...I was stuck working in Brooklyn, haha
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like these Frackers?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, that's them.  The ones I saw were a dark color, otherwise identical.  Some guy in one of the GD eclipse threads identified them for me, they're called Sand Castles, they hold fracking sand.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top