Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 6:00:02 PM EDT
I'm taking my kids to Colorado (and New Mexico) on an old-fashioned Chevy Chase-inspired road trip (I-70 from VA to CO/NM).  I expect to spend two nights in Denver, but just passing through Denver.  We'll also be in the Colorado Springs and Pueblo areas on the way to Northern New Mexico.  We will spend a day at Mesa Verde.  

The kids and I like history and natural beauty.  What should we see on the trip?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm taking my kids to Colorado (and New Mexico) on an old-fashioned Chevy Chase-inspired road trip (I-70 from VA to CO/NM).  I expect to spend two nights in Denver, but just passing through Denver.  We'll also be in the Colorado Springs and Pueblo areas on the way to Northern New Mexico.  We will spend a day at Mesa Verde.  

The kids and I like history and natural beauty.  What should we see on the trip?
View Quote

The air force academy.  Visitors must enter through the north gate.  The Diamond Lil B52 exhibit is cool, just past the north gate.  It's the only B52 to shoot down an enemy aircraft.

Also, Garden of the Gods, west side of Colorado Springs.  Pikes Peak.  If you like history, check out the Pioneers Museum downtown.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Casa Bonita

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You should consider spending 2 days at Mesa Verde
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should consider spending 2 days at Mesa Verde
View Quote
From Denver take 285 down towards Alamosa.  Hit Sand Dunes Nat'l Park, then west on 60 to Durango and hit Mesa Verde and Four Corners.  If you're into trains then there are day trip train rides out of Alamosa and the Durango Silverton narrow gauge in Durango.  The hot springs in Pagosa Springs are pretty neat, but you come out smelling like sulphur.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for your help.  We had a nice trip through Colorado.  I forgot how huge the mountains are.  We were not able to get to Mesa Verde or Four Corners.  We did a lot in Colorado Springs: Air Force Academy (and B-52, we saw two B-52 displays on this trip, the other was in Dayton), Garden of the Gods, the Money Museum, and the Pioneer Museum.  They were all excellent and Colorado Springs looked like a great little city.  Maybe I'll retire there?  

We also got to Great Sand Dunes NP, which was fun.  They actually let you climb on the dunes.  

I had not been to Colorado in many years and Denver certainly has grown.  The whole state, especially Denver, looks prosperous.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm heading there Aug 25-Sept 1 for a 25 year long Bucket List motorcycle ride.  I've never even seen the Rocky Mountains much less had the privilege of riding a motorcycle in them.  Staying in Estes Park and have five 350/400 mile days planned if weather cooperates.  Cannot wait for this to finally happen!!!  I still have the Labor Day weekend open before needing to head home and hope somehow to get over to the Durango area to ride the Million Dollar Highway but that it an additional 1100 mile round trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top