BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't get the mad rush to costco. Do other stores not carry groceries and other household items? I'm in Kirkland, and the Freddies and QFCs are pretty stocked - minus TP of course.
View Quote
Costco is cheaper for bulk products, great for large families.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife went to the East Wenatchee Costco this morning to grab some Dog Food and other normal items we get. She said there were 200 people waiting in line for the doors to open... Once open she observed they were out of rice, water, toilet paper....  and most all cleaning supplies thankfully she was not shopping for any of those items.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Colville WA looking good.  No masks, hand sanitizer, peroxide or ISP available but plenty of everything else.
People are out early and buying more than I normally see.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Colville WA looking good.  No masks, hand sanitizer, peroxide or ISP available but plenty of everything else.
People are out early and buying more than I normally see.
View Quote
Clarks have anything interesting on consignment??
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Covington Costco had 300+ people in line 45 minutes before opening this AM.  Got what I needed at the Fred Meyers next door.
View Quote
Bonney Lake Costco packed too.  TP section was completely out...stocked with bottled water
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Skagit Co schools are shut down for a month starting tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Skagit Co schools are shut down for a month starting tuesday.
View Quote
Six weeks here in Pierce.
Also, my in-laws now have a 48hr wait on a COVID-19 test since they were both exposed to confirmed infected patient at their hospital in Olympia.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a hint about the sheeple listening to the news panic. At Lowe’s where I live the ‘Cleaning’ aisle was empty of all disinfectant, but in the washing machine aisle there were cases of Lysol, Mr. Clean, etc with dust on them. Probably similar stocking situation in all states.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Trader Joes in Silverdale was completely out of Pasta and Rice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Costco by PDX airport was out of bottled water and tp.  Costco up the 205 in north Vancouver was out of tp as well, but had a lot of bottled water still at 3pm today.  Both didn't have chicken, frozen or not.  Still had rotisserie chickens though.  Most other food were well stocked.  Didn't look for rice though, still working through a 25 lb bag, probably still half full or better.
Fred Meyer had food, water, but no tp.  Had chicken fillets, so yay!

Relatives down in norcal are facing much more empty shelves, freakin' people freaking out for nothing.  None of this happened during Swine flu in '09.  Wonder why?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#11]
My daughter works at a Grocery Outlet here in Kitsap co and the shelves are getting pretty bare of staple items. Frozen foods are going fast.
My wife said our local WM was the same boat. Frozen items, cleaning supplies, cold remedies, first aid, and paper products were looking pretty barren.
With the 6 week school closure announcement it woke some people up. As soon as its over they will go right back to sleep.
I was out running some errands yesterday and I don't think that people are panicking I overheard a few people bitching about it and saying the whole thing was BS which I whole heartedly agree with. If this whole thing isn't the perfect excuse for a dry run on violating people's rights I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Drove to the park to walk the dog. Park empty, two cars where there is normally dozens. Saw a single jogger, two people waiting for the bus and some cars in the distance.

I could get used to this level of peace and quiet but the wife thinks it's ominous.

I did see one sketchy homeless dude with a sleeping bag yesterday and that's rare in my city. I'm guessing we will see more crime if they can't get their handout/fix/free money. So I reviewed some of my home security setup....
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Tumwater Fred Meyer was out of food staples last night, including chicken and package sausages.  Plenty of corned beef though.

That reminds me: I need to pick up some 1/4” T50s at Ace.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Lake Stevens Walmart cleaned out of paper products, cold/flu/headache over-the-counter remedies, canned fruit/vegetables/meat, butter, eggs, ground beef and chicken, cleaning products, noodles/pasta, breads, most frozen vegetables, fresh lettuce.
Wow!
I am glad we saw this coming and topped off food storage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Monroe Walmart is rationing paper products now...
ETA: Monroe Fred Meyer is much better stocked, but it is getting mobbed and they're rationing over-the-counter meds.
ETA2: Okay...all of our gaps in preps are filled.
Wife feels that we're good for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
People are going crazy for ammunition now.  Prices are increasing rapidly online and shipping times are delayed.  I've nearly sold out of ammo this week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
People are going crazy for ammunition now.  Prices are increasing rapidly online and shipping times are delayed.  I've nearly sold out of ammo this week.
View Quote
Lol

Ive only got a few hundred rounds of various ammo right now. Pretty lacking for an ammo fort, but really its more than I need for this situation. Im not worried.

My .22 stash otoh is still in the 5 digit range from last famine
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I was just looking on GunBroker. Speer Lawmen is still under .30/rnd and regular is .20-.25 a round. Seems barely above normal. Not selling part of my stash just yet. 2013 you could sell a case of 9mm for $500, not quite there yet.

My fort is getting a little heavy of factory ammo and I pretty much only shoot my reloads anyway.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I stopped by the Sportsman's Warehouse in Silverdale to pick up some bullets for reloading.  Ammo of all calibers is low.  The self-defense ammo is almost wiped out and the bulk ammo is going fast.  The gun counter was stacked deep with people looking to buy.  I hope they factored the new waiting period in their panic buying.

EDIT to add: I was in the Bangor commissary on Thursday and it was pretty crowded.  Not a lot of TP or sanitizing products, but I had no problem picking up two 18-packs of TP and four bundles of bottled water.

The most annoying thing was the family with the 10 year old kid who sounded like he had the Wuhan croup- coughing and sneezing everywhere.  He was making a half-a$$ed attempt to cough into his elbow.  When we were all in the self checkout I saw him holding some candy product his mother said he couldn't have, and after coughing on it he returned it to the shelf.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

EDIT to add: I was in the Bangor commissary on Thursday and it was pretty crowded.  Not a lot of TP or sanitizing products, but I had no problem picking up two 18-packs of TP and four bundles of bottled water.
View Quote
I was going to ask how the commissaries are stacking up.

Anyone been to JBLM commissary lately?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't get it - bacteria wipes for a virus?
And what's with the bottled water, people are afraid they will shut the water off?
Better dig a latrine in the back yard then.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wiping down surfaces, doorknobs etc. At least that's what I'm using Clorox wipes for.

Got another 1000 rounds of 9mm and another 1000 of 300BLK subsonic delivered today, so my ammo fort is close to 10k now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Wife just got back from fred meyers for her click list. Said the parking lot was FULL

A lot of things on her list went unfilled or sustituted.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't understand the bottled water thing either.
Tapwater is just fine.
I store water in a bunch of "Reliance" brand 5.5-gallon water containers.
But we also have four Katadyn filters and two Big Berkeys all with spare filters.
I have been far more proactive at continually building the family firearms battery and ammunition reserves than the emergency food reserves.
The wife and I just finished up attending our first firearms training course of the year at Firearms Academy of Seattle a few weekends ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wife just got back from fred meyers for her click list. Said the parking lot was FULL

View Quote
This is a function of the inventory tax in Washington State.
Businesses are forced to pay taxes on inventory here, so they keep as little inventory as possible and have instituted computerized "just-in-time" inventory systems.
That's fine under normal conditions, but in times of emergencies, retailers quickly run out of inventory simultaneously.
Resupply has to come from states with no inventory taxes or from offshore which bogs down the whole process.
If the state government wasn't so tax-hungry and allowed retailers to keep large inventories without taxing them to death over it, the shortages and rationing would not be so severe.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Businesses are forced to pay taxes on inventory here, so they keep as little inventory as possible and have instituted computerized "just-in-time" inventory systems.
That's fine under normal conditions, but in times of emergencies, retailers quickly run out of inventory simultaneously.
Resupply has to come from states with no inventory taxes or from offshore which bogs down the whole process.
If the state government wasn't so tax-hungry and allowed retailers to keep large inventories without taxing them to death over it, the shortages and rationing would not be so severe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had never heard of a state tax on inventory in WA. I searched and I could not find anything to back that up.

This is what I found.

Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't understand the bottled water thing either.
Tapwater is just fine.
View Quote
Unless it isn't.

NBK Keyport sent us an email three weeks ago that the water was bad.  Still waiting for the go-ahead that it's OK to drink.  In the meantime I'm taking water to work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw this one on CL just now

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I own a small business.  I've also worked in CPG for 30 years here in the Seattle area, including a large grocery chain what has multiple warehouses.  My wife is a CPA.

Neither of us have heard, paid or dealt with an "inventory tax" here in WA.  RCW 84.36.477 even specifically states that "business inventory" is exempt from property taxes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I own a small business.  I've also worked in CPG for 30 years here in the Seattle area, including a large grocery chain what has multiple warehouses.  My wife is a CPA.

Neither of us have heard, paid or dealt with an "inventory tax" here in WA.  RCW 84.36.477 even specifically states that "business inventory" is exempt from property taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a Business Personal Property Tax is not just another name for an inventory tax?
Sounds an awful lot like an inventory tax to me.
But I am not a CPA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So a Business Personal Property Tax is not just another name for an inventory tax?
But I am not a CPA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I am not a CPA.
No, it is not an "inventory" tax.  The Personal Property Tax assessed against businesses is for the stuff they USE in the course of running their business.  The computer you use for purchase orders, or the chair your employee sits on?  Yes, some locales tax that.  The 40 pallets of toilet paper in the warehouse, intended for resale, is NOT "personal property" that is subject to taxation.

The RCW I referenced:
RCW 84.36.477
Business inventories.
(1) Business inventories are exempt from property taxation.
(2) As used in this section:
(a)(i) "Business inventories" means all livestock, inventories of finished goods and work in process, and personal property not under lease or rental, acquired, or produced solely for the purpose of sale or lease or for the purpose of consuming the property in producing for sale or lease a new article of tangible personal property of which the property becomes an ingredient or component.
(ii) "Business inventories" also includes:
(A) All grains and flour, fruit and fruit products, unprocessed timber, vegetables and vegetable products, and fish and fish products, while being transported to or held in storage in a public or private warehouse or storage area if actually shipped to points outside the state on or before April 30th of the first year for which they would otherwise be taxable;
(B) All finished plywood, hardboard, and particleboard panels shipped from outside this state to any processing plant within this state, if the panels are moving under a through freight rate to final destination outside this state and the carrier grants the shipper the privilege of stopping the shipment in transit for the purpose of storing, milling, manufacturing, or other processing, while the panels are in the process of being treated or shaped into flat component parts to be incorporated into finished products outside this state and for thirty days after completion of the processing or treatment;
(C) All ore or metal shipped from outside this state to any smelter or refining works within this state, while in process of reduction or refinement and for thirty days after completion of the reduction or refinement; and
(D) All metals refined by electrolytic process into cathode or bar form while in this form and held under negotiable warehouse receipt in a public or private warehouse recognized by an established incorporated commodity exchange and for sale through the exchange.
(iii) "Business inventories" does not include personal property acquired or produced for the purpose of lease or rental if the property was leased or rented at any time during the calendar year immediately preceding the year of assessment and was not thereafter remanufactured, nor does it include property held within the normal course of business for lease or rental for periods of less than thirty days.
(iv) "Business inventories" does not include agricultural or horticultural property fully or partially exempt under RCW 84.36.470.
(v) "Business inventories" does not include timber that is standing on public land and that is sold under a contract entered into after August 1, 1982;
(b) "Fish and fish products" means all fish and fish products suitable and designed for human consumption, excluding all others;
(c) "Fruit and fruit products" means all raw edible fruits, berries, and hops and all processed products of fruits, berries, or hops, suitable and designed for human consumption, while in the hands of the first processor;
(d) "Processed" means canning, barreling, bottling, preserving, refining, freezing, packing, milling, or any other method employed to keep any grain, fruit, vegetable, or fish in an edible condition or to put it into more suitable or convenient form for consuming, storing, shipping, or marketing;
(e) "Remanufactured" means the restoration of property to essentially its original condition, but does not mean normal maintenance or repairs; and
(f) "Vegetables and vegetable products" means all raw edible vegetables such as peas, beans, beets, sugar beets, and other vegetables, and all processed products of vegetables, suitable and designed for human consumption, while in the hands of the first processor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm pretty sure just in time inventory systems are a product of lean six sigma.  Too much inventory is a waste.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And what's with the bottled water, people are afraid they will shut the water off?
Better dig a latrine in the back yard then.
View Quote
I don’t get it either. Read the fine print on the wipes and it needs several minutes to kill bacteria. So just a quick wipe isn’t doing much.

Water is dumb. Everybody fights over their limit of 2 cases bottled water while the pallet of 10 pack Brita filters are untouched.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I hated biology class in high school so maybe I've got it wrong but a bacteria and a virus are two different organisms.
An anti-bacterial agent is not going to do anything to a virus - am I wrong?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#36]
@DFARM

Nice avitar given the thread topic
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Went to Fred Meyer near the 205 and 5 merge here in north Vancouver and they still had tp on the shelves at 945am, almost 4 hours after opening at 6am.
Various meats are in stock.  Milk and other dairy essentials are well stocked.  Didn't look in the canned/boxed food aisles, but even on Friday those aisles looked about 1/3rd to half full at worst.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]

I hope all those tards trying to turn a profit during a "pandemic" lose their money.

Some dude in TN that horded a shit tonne of sanatizer and masks just got his stuff confiscated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@DFARM

Nice avitar given the thread topic
View Quote
I've had it since I first got a membership. Lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#40]
As an old Infantry soldier and having experienced my first quake of the Nisqually type.  I have been prepped for 20 years.  No panic on the virus.  I could give a shit.  I'm looking for parts to build a target 10/22.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I hated biology class in high school so maybe I've got it wrong but a bacteria and a virus are two different organisms.
An anti-bacterial agent is not going to do anything to a virus - am I wrong?
View Quote
No you're right, should have been more specific just that any product that says kills XXX usually has a dwell time of likely several minutes.

If a wipe says it takes 5 min to kill human corona virus but the agent evaps after 60-90 sec its more a feel good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 3:15:54 AM EDT
[#42]
How are things looking out in Pend Oreille County?  Trying to figure something out for an elderly family member, but I'm 2000 miles away.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How are things looking out in Pend Oreille County?  Trying to figure something out for an elderly family member, but I'm 2000 miles away.
View Quote
Snow..more snow...haven't heard of any infection.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Man you aint kidding!! Went to skagit arms for S&Gs this morning to pick up a few boxes. Lots of people there at 9:30am.

They are OUT and I mean cleared out of 5.56 and 9mm!

Skagit range had some 9 I grabbed some there before the hordes descended.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Girlfriend and I went to Walmart Bonney Lake after breakfast around 6;30am Sunday for a few things.  Wasn’t crowded so took a little curiosity tour To see what was out of stock:
- TP, paper towels completely out
- Laundry detergent gone
- most meats gone
- most pop tarts gone

Noticed people filing in and decided to leave.  We hit an open check out at 6:45am and Upon completing transaction there was already a line up about 5 deep.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Youngest daughter and her husband had not been successful in locating any TP in the Chehalis area this weekend, so I brought them a package.

Stopped at Longview Fred Meyer for a few items, and was a little shocked to see no bread on the shelf.

I imagine the restocked items should be in place by tomorrow, now that the weekend rush has passed.

Its surreal to observe things occur that I had only imagined might happen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Youngest daughter and her husband had not been successful in locating any TP in the Chehalis area this weekend, so I brought them a package.

Stopped at Longview Fred Meyer for a few items, and was a little shocked to see no bread on the shelf.

I imagine the restocked items should be in place by tomorrow, now that the weekend rush has passed.

Its surreal to observe things occur that I had only imagined might happen.
View Quote
The restocked items are going to be gone as soon as they're put out. The "weekend rush" started last week and isn't getting any better anytime soon
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone else hearing rumors about Boeing shutting down for 2 weeks?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have friends that work there that have been told if they can telework to do so.  I have other friends that work production, and they're still expected to report to work. (for now.)
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't heard that one, but we've been mandated to work remotely if at all possible.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top