Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2017 6:51:49 PM EDT
Ok so I see that there may be some gun laws coming down the pipe for WA. So I’m not thrilled for that but non the less I will be moving there in February for about three years. So I have a few questions for y’all. First I will be leaving my family in LA for this tour so where can I find an apartment or cheapish house near the base? Also are there any current strange gun laws there?  And finally is transportation of a loaded pistol in your vehicle ok?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok so I see that there may be some gun laws coming down the pipe for WA. So I’m not thrilled for that but non the less I will be moving there in February for about three years. So I have a few questions for y’all. First I will be leaving my family in LA for this tour so where can I find an apartment or cheapish house near the base? Also are there any current strange gun laws there?  And finally is transportation of a loaded pistol in your vehicle ok?

Thanks
View Quote
DuPont is close to jblm but spendy.

North Tacoma is trendy and will offer some roommate options.

Lakewood is close but it is Lakewood.

The gun laws are not bad, show your orders here and get a Washington concealed carry.

Like any other Federal Installation in the country, Firearms are prohibited unless it is registered with the Provost Marshall and you can only carry locked, secured with the reason of shooting after work for example.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For off base you'll need a WA CPL or CPL/CHL/CCW that is recognized by WA state for that.
View Quote
Might just need to get me a CPL up there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

DuPont is close to jblm but spend.

North Tacoma is trendy and will offer some roommate options.

Lakewood is close but it is Lakewood.

The gun laws are not bad, show your orders here and get a Washington concealed.

Like any other Federal installation in the country, Firearms are prohibited unless it is registered with the provost Marshall and you can only carry locked secured with the reason of shooting after work for example.

Yeah there will be no roommates for me. I don’t like strangers that way, I’ll probably look at DuPont as I have had that area brought up by several people.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Lacey and Puyallup are good options too
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lacey and Puyallup are good options too
View Quote
Lacey seems the better option for me the rentals are in budget and seem nicer
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you work standard active duty hours and don’t mind getting stuck in traffic for literal hours on the freeway, then do what you will and live in Lacey/Olympia.

I lived and worked at JBLM for 8 years, I ended up buying out East Gate and towards Graham. I never had to get on the freeway to get to work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you work standard active duty hours and don’t mind getting stuck in traffic for literal hours on the freeway, then do what you will and live in Lacey/Olympia.

I lived and worked at JBLM for 8 years, I ended up buying out East Gate and towards Graham. I never had to get on the freeway to get to work.
View Quote
Thanks I might need to research that drive I hate traffic and might likely be working normal business hours so.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks I might need to research that drive I hate traffic and might likely be working normal business hours so.
View Quote
The drive from Lacey to jblm is nothing, especially since they just opened up the fourth lane at nisqually to help with the backup that always happens there.

I drove Lacey to Redmond for 5 months and now I drive Puyallup to Redmond. Now those are not fun commutes at all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
STAY AWAY FROM TILLICUM!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
STAY AWAY FROM TILLICUM!!!
View Quote
Lol I’m seeing a trend here. I will avoid the place
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lacey would be my choice.

Wait a minute... it IS my choice!

Lacey is on the edge of Thurston County, Puyallup and Tacoma are Pierce county. Higher sales taxes and other bullshit. Way more people, traffic and crime.

It's a medium-ish sized town and traffic is not all that bad, relatively speaking. If you decide to live here make sure you don't rent a place anywhere near Mushroom Corner (Steliacoom and 510 intersection). It reeks of cow shit a mile in every direction. We try to hold our breaths driving by there, poor kid goes to school right across the street but only for another six months.

You might even look into living in Yelm. Nice, small town with a direct line (507) to JBLM.

Good luck and welcome!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Well seems that Washington  is going the way of California, I’m still coming for a visit for three years. So since I don’t get your local news what’s the gun rights look like now?  From what I have seen posted on the here it’s going south quick. May also have to leave most of my toys at home where they are safe ??.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Roy/Graham/Yelm is probably the place for you then....

Essentially:
Lakewood/Tillucm/South Tacoma = 'Where they filmed COPS back in the 90s'
Spanaway/Pacific Ave = Pawn shops, lemon lots, bars & weed stores....
Roy/Graham/McKenna/Yelm = Farm Country/Horse Towns. Roy is literally right-next to the training areas & a quick drive to the back side of post.
Stielacoom/Dupont/Hawk's Prarie/Lacey = Classic small-lot/medium-density suburbia
Olympia = State Capitol, Evergreen State University & lots of hippies/angry liberal protestors

I bought a place outside Yelm when I was still Active Duty. The back side of post is the best side of post (50mph roads, no traffic, big lots, cheap land, low sales tax). Just DO NOT SPEED IN ROY. Roscoe will get you. It's big business for them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#15]
There are really two Tacomas; one east of I5 and one west.  Stay out of anything on the east side of I5.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Hilltop.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Stay away from mushroom corner in Lacey.

It’s bad.

I live in DuPont. It is kinda $ but also a 7 min commute with only 300m of i5 traffic.

I’m sure if you found a roommate there it would be great.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well seems that Washington  is going the way of California, I’m still coming for a visit for three years. So since I don’t get your local news what’s the gun rights look like now?  From what I have seen posted on the here it’s going south quick. May also have to leave most of my toys at home where they are safe ??.
View Quote
I think we have a real good chance of keeping dumb gun laws at bay and flipping one Senate seat so gun laws die in committee with less nailbiting. Washington state is pretty moderate but our concealed pistol license rate is higher than many red states...outside of Seattle it's VERY gun friendly and I know lefties there with AR15s. So it's more battleground than that blue indicates.

I've lived in 3 other states (NY, Cali, Iowa) and I think this is the best of them.

One apartment tip in North Tacoma: Vista del Rey. I was renting for a while (now telecommuting/commuting) and Vista del Rey had amazingly moderate prices. $750 for some studios. They have a workout room and there are a lot of places to eat and stuff in the area. Tacoma has cool stuff and isn't as PC as Seattle....friendlier.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think we have a real good chance of keeping dumb gun laws at bay and flipping one Senate seat so gun laws die in committee with less nailbiting. Washington state is pretty moderate but our concealed pistol license rate is higher than many red states...outside of Seattle it's VERY gun friendly and I know lefties there with AR15s. So it's more battleground than that blue indicates.

I've lived in 3 other states (NY, Cali, Iowa) and I think this is the best of them.

One apartment tip in North Tacoma: Vista del Rey. I was renting for a while (now telecommuting/commuting) and Vista del Rey had amazingly moderate prices. $750 for some studios. They have a workout room and there are a lot of places to eat and stuff in the area. Tacoma has cool stuff and isn't as PC as Seattle....friendlier.
View Quote
The Bellevue State Senate thing was little more than an outpouring of Anti-Trump rage among folks who would otherwise be very-very-moderate Republicans or nonvoters...

The question is, will things still 'be that way' come November.... And will the Democrats attempt to move every single far-left dream-list bill - including ones that were defeated as ballot initiatives - turn off enough voters to flip some of the swing seats in Pierce Co.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hope so I really don’t want to see another state lose any rights
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#21]
And thank y’all for the recommendations I’m heading your way in two weeks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top