Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 2:36:09 AM EDT
Checked it out last week. Ok range, but seemed lacking in a couple spots.

Can't decide to join or not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s an okay range if you’re not a member somewhere else already or in the military.  If you’re looking to join range in that neck of the woods, might I suggest Paul Bunyan Rifle & Sportsman Club (if there’s no waiting list or other obstacle).

My $0.02
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Checked it out last week. Ok range, but seemed lacking in a couple spots.

Can't decide to join or not.
View Quote

I have been shooting there for about 10 years and paid each time I went until last year when I finally decided to become a member.  I was a member for one year and did not renew my membership this past September for several reasons.  My main reason for not renewing is because they raised the membership fees from $100 to $150.  Now I understand needing to raise rates, but a 50% raise in one year?   That seems a little extreme, especially being that other than the public pistol range, I saw very little, if any, improvements in the facilities throughout the year.  The public rifle range is poorly maintained, and the Range Safety Officers for the most part aren't pleasant to be around.  It does have it's advantages (long distance ranges, archery, etc.), and if you plan on using the public ranges 10+ times per year and can deal with poorly maintained ranges and unpleasant staff, it is probably worth your dollar.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive told this before, but I took a newbie once to shoot- she had never shot before.

The RO on the walker was hanging out with his 5  buddies, tying up 6 lanes and not shooting. Fine, bullshit all you want, pull your shit and let people in line shoot.

Then he freaked out over a Bushmaster factory sight-in target (pic of a FSB, he thought was a person).

Then there was eminem and the rest of the no belt posse shooting sideways.

Never again. Not even if it was the very last range. No.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been a member there for about the last 6-7 years.  It's an OK range and they have made some improvements like opening a members only pistol range in the past year.  
It has a nice facility for trap shooting.  The public rifle range gets really crowded.  Public pistol not so bad.  Members range is hit or miss on whether you have to wait.  I've never had to wait too long to
use the member's range.  RO's are hit or miss.  They tend to be Fudds, but I've never been harassed over my EBR (I.e., AR-15).  There is a no rapid fire rule in place and you can only load 10rds into your
mag.  There are worse ranges run by Fudds like Renton Fish & Game where you can only load 1 rd. into your mag at one time.

The club has some really nice programs like hunter's education.  But again, I've noticed over the past few years that their calendar is packed with these events that they end up shutting down ranges in order to host these programs.  It really annoyed me that I would drive down there on a Sat. and find that the whole members range is off-limits because of Cabela's Corporate day at the range and the public range has a really long wait list.  The other annoyance is that the club hours are limited.  They shut down between 6-7pm in the summer and 5pm in the winter, but you have to show up at least 1- 1&1/2 hrs. beforehand to sign in or they will not let you shoot.  There have been many days where I got there after work at 4pm and they say they're closed.

These range availability issues is what prompted me to recently join Paul Bunyan.  I can shoot until 10pm everyday.  I will not renew my Tacoma membership after this year.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
We joined as life members before the rate hike a year ago.  It was $1k vs the $100 a year i paid for a number of years.  

The members ranges are nicer and less trouble than the public ranges.  I wish they didn't have full time range officers (at least on the members range).  I think a lot of the money goes to pay range officers, some of which can be a pain especially when you show up with a pelican case of class 3 items they dont know anything about but.  I think they are more up to speed on class 3 now, havent had any comments the last few outings.  

I have not been to Paul Bunyan, but may join there if its as nice as everyone says!  I believe the ranges are longer and open more.  TSC is open once per month (nice weather months) for a 600 yard shoot.  No practice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Went there once, and it was not worth the drive.

Now I am a member of NCW Gun Club in Wenatchee.

Drive is about the same, and it is a nice set up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
No bottleneck pistol cartridges on the public pistol range/no AR pistols on the members rifle range was the final straw for me the last time.

I was a member several years ago when I worked swing shift. It was awesome, had the place to myself most days and no ROs to hassle me.  Let it lapse after I went back to days and the weekends were either packed or the 22 range was closed randomly and the RO's were tarded.

Shooting a reddot equipped 22 pistol at the public pistol range-  
RO>" shooting kinda fast arent you?"
Me >"Too fast?"
RO> " No but thats pretty fast...."
Me> " all the rounds are on the target....."

and he walks off.  

I renewed a couple years later, posted a thread here. Went back a couple days later to shoot and had an issue shooting an AR pistol on the members rifle range, got a refund and havent been back.  I'm 15 mins away, it'd be pretty convenient but I don't have time to fuck around with being able to shoot my 10.5" SBR on the rifle range but not my AR pistol, have to use the public rifle range to shoot the same length barrel/caliber. I prefer to just make a day of it and go to Lewis County to shoot these days.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Try Tacoma rifle and revolver club
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Tacoma rifle and revolver club
View Quote
5 month waiting list to join, according to their website.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s an okay range if you’re not a member somewhere else already or in the military.  If you’re looking to join range in that neck of the woods, might I suggest Paul Bunyan Rifle & Sportsman Club (if there’s no waiting list or other obstacle).

My $0.02
View Quote
yay 8 round magazine limits

NO THANKS

**EDIT:  When I was a member there for one year, I never followed the rule but I also only shot at dark.  Decided their limitation was too anti for me.  I shoot at Range 15 most often, though their price has gone up significantly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top