Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2017 12:29:44 PM EDT
Looking into a possibility that would put me in the North Bend vicinity.

I've spent the past couple hours reading through the forum, the help links at the top of this page, and dol.wa.gov - just wanting to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.  Feel free to chime in on anything I'm missing, or PM for a number to talk.

1.  SBR/Suppressors (on a trust) are unrestricted beyond federal rules.
2.  AR pistols are ok.
3.  CCW is shall-issue.  I've actually held a WA model previously as a non-resident, but I let it lapse last year with the advent of the Enhanced ID version here. 
4.  I should buy/sell any firearms I'm currently contemplating before moving. 
5.  My currently-plated 20-year-old dirt bike can be licensed as street-legal, given that it passes a safety/components inspection first.  Might not be worth the ~$600 in parts to get it up to snuff though. 
6.  King Co. vehicle registration is astronomical, might come down with some in-process legislation. 
7.  House prices look about double what they are here, consumer goods aren't much different. 
8.  Sales tax is higher, no income tax though. 

Anything else I'm not considering?
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  SBR/Suppressors (on a trust) are unrestricted beyond federal rules.  Suppressors yes, not sure about SBR - not my current interest.
2.  AR pistols are ok.  Yes
3.  CCW is shall-issue.  CCW?  No.  CPL? Yes.  Pay the man $60 and wait up to 30 days.  Open carry is lawful and understood by LE as lawful, so you shouldn't ever get stopped for open carry.  Inside the car open carry is really concealed carry, so you need the CPL to carry loaded in a car, bus, or on a motorcycle.  If you're driving to or from an outdoor activity you may lawfully carry concealed without a CPL, but LE will want to see a fishing license, hunting license, or hiking gear to show that you really are driving to or from said outdoor activity.  No loaded long guns inside the car.
4.  I should buy/sell any firearms I'm currently contemplating before moving.  Question doesn't make sense without the context.  What...why?
5.  My currently-plated 20-year-old dirt bike can be licensed as street-legal...  Something about offroad dirtbikes changed a few years ago making it easier to register them.  I don't know the details.
6.  King Co. vehicle registration is astronomical, might come down with some in-process legislation.  I live in Kitsap Co, so I'm not up to speed on King Co and the nonsense they pass.  Don't bank on any legislation- $30 car tabs passed a decade or so ago and the state just added everything back on in the form of fees and such.  
7.  House prices look about double what they are here, consumer goods aren't much different.  The price is high and/because the inventory is low.  
8.  Sales tax is higher, no income tax though.  Income tax in WA is supposed to be unconstitutional.  I say supposed to be because Seattle is trying to enact one in spite of that pesky document.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Vehicle registration: not all of king county is inside the sound transit criminal enterprise taxing area. North Bend is outside.
There is currently a special election campaign in progress for a state Senate seat that could give the dems unfettered control over state government. If the forces of evil prevail they will go full speed ahead with all of their prog/radical left wishlist.
Part time governor Jay insleaze, when he was in Congress representing a conservative district in eastern wa, was the deciding yes vote for the 1994 assault weapon ban.
This place could go to absolute shit in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4.  I should buy/sell any firearms I'm currently contemplating before moving.  Question doesn't make sense without the context.  What...why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Seems there was some business about private party sales (& even transfers/sharing something at the range?) being illegal that came through a couple years ago. 

Quoted:
Vehicle registration: not all of king county is inside the sound transit criminal enterprise taxing area. North Bend is outside.
Good news.

There is currently a special election campaign in progress for a state Senate
seat that could give the dems unfettered control over state government.
If the forces of evil prevail they will go full speed ahead with all of
their prog/radical left wishlist.
Not-so-good news.  

Part time governor Jay insleaze, when he was in Congress representing a conservative district in eastern
wa, was the deciding yes vote for the 1994 assault weapon ban.
This place could go to absolute shit in a heartbeat.
Is this the "Soros" band of politicians I've been hearing about?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:13:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the hell out of Washington 20 years ago and have never looked back, I maintain my rental properties in WA, cause they bring good money, but this year I let my wife check on them, because I could not stomach the idea of even being there for a day..

Western WA is California JR, cold not convince me to move back there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds right. Yea, we have universal background checks now supposedly. North Bend should be out of the sound transit car tab tax region. Ask before you rent/buy and they should be able to tell you. If you have a very recent automobile they may try to charge you sales tax on it when you go to switch your plates, so may want to double check.  Good luck. Please don't vote for anyone Seattle votes for.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in North Bend, and yes, it is outside the RTA tax area
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Regarding vehicles, Use Tax would only come into play if bought and owned less than the previous 90 days.  And ID has Sales Tax, so even if you bought a new vehicle, you would get credit for the ID tax paid and just owe the difference.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/moving.html

RTA Tax:  This is the one that makes your car tabs much more expensive.  It is 1.1% of the car's value, with the "value" determined by some bullshit depreciation schedule that is as far separated from reality as you can imagine.  Here is the (current) RTA boundary.  I imagine that over time, places like Snoqualmie and North Bend will get the shaft after promises of "high speed light rail to your town" are swallowed.
https://www.soundtransit.org/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/about/stdistrictmap07_10.pdf

NFA: Non-explosive DD's, AOWs, SBRs and Suppressors are all good to go, either via trust or individual ownership.  MGs, SBSs and exploding DD's are a no-go currently.  Just remember to file a 5320.20 for the SBRs before crossing state lines.  You could file 5320.20's for the suppressors and AOWs, but the ATF says that is a "nice to do" not a "mandatory" action.

UBC:  Yes, I-594 imposed UBC on all transfers, so to be in legal compliance, all firearm transfers need to go through a dealer.  The state exempted the DEALER from having to collect the Use Tax, but I don't believe they actually exempted the buyer from the responsibility of PAYING it.  If you only buy/sell guns currently from/to private individuals in ID, then you might want to round out your collection before moving.  If you buy guns from dealers in ID, why would buying a gun here be any different? (Other than our higher sales tax.)

Gun Laws:  The state is just one initiative (or one seat in the Senate) away from going full-retard on an "Assault Weapons Ban" and magazine capacity restriction.  We fight it every time and have won most of the battles, but the continued "Californication" of Western Washington, Activist judges, and the general liberal mental illness that comes from increased population density, is the writing on the wall.  In theory, we should be well insulated from such stupidity because of the 2nd Amendment and our even more cut-and-dried Article 1 Sec 24, but that relies on our courts to be honest and do their jobs correctly.  Based on the Supreme Court allowing the Seattle Gun Tax to stand, it won't be long before our rights are really screwed.  If not outright banned, then we'll have exorbitant "gun taxes."  One candidate is already saying the Seattle Gun Tax should be doubled.  Since the court has said it is within the City's rights, why not make the tax $1,000?  $10,000?

Anyway, not trying to scare off someone from the area.  The reality is that we need more conservative 2nd Amendment supporters to move here, in numbers and faster, than the liberals.  "Cut and run" is a guaranteed method of ceding more territory to the enemy, and eventually you will be surrounded and overrun.  Even Montana has some blue counties now......
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Anyway, not trying to scare off someone from the area.  The reality is that we need more conservative 2nd Amendment supporters to move here, in numbers and faster, than the liberals.  "Cut and run" is a guaranteed method of ceding more territory to the enemy, and eventually you will be surrounded and overrun.  Even Montana has some blue counties now......
View Quote
Yes, unfortunately we have lost some ground to the anti gun people in the last few years, especially in the college towns, Missoula proper is terrible these days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
i594 is tricky... It passed the initiative process and "became law". However years later it STILL has not stood up to legal challenge, because they refuse to charge anyone under the new laws and won't hear any challenges until it has wronged someone. (I think there was ONE instance where they added the charge to a murder somewhere and it wasn't the appropriate time to challenge according to people). The law is intentionally written broken and makes most shooting activities that involve passing a gun between two adults illegal, but no one seems to care. I've given my opinion and what it means to me before, but this isn't he place for that. There was an attempt I think this year to amend the language of the law to make it so not every gun owner in the state violates it simply in the normal course of using and handling firearms, but I'm not sure how that went through.

Otherwise most things are still legal except full auto, get your CPL, and it's still somewhat free for the time being.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, unfortunately we have lost some ground to the anti gun people in the last few years, especially in the college towns, Missoula proper is terrible these days.
View Quote
I was looking at the 2016 Presidential map by county, and even one county in WY went for Hillary (Teton County*, 60% to 32%), but even Albany County was close (46% Trump to 42% Clinton.)

Imagine that, Jackson Hole, WY is a liberal hotbet.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Spectacular news.  

Quoted:
Regarding vehicles, Use Tax would only come into play if bought and owned less than the previous 90 days... http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/moving.html
Outside 90 days on everything - should be good-to-go.  

Quoted:
NFA: Non-explosive DD's, AOWs, SBRs and Suppressors are all good to go, either via trust or individual ownership... file a 5320.20 for the SBRs ...
Thanks for the reminder - I knew there was a form to file one way or another, hadn't had a chance to look into that yet.  

Quoted:
UBC:  Yes, I-594 imposed UBC on all transfers, so to be in legal compliance, all firearm transfers need to go through a dealer...
I wasn't clear enough in my initial request - private party & sales tax are the concerns.  

Quoted:
Gun Laws:  The state is just one initiative (or one seat in the Senate) away from going full-retard on an "Assault Weapons Ban" and magazine capacity restriction...
Quoted:
i594 is tricky... It passed the initiative process and "became law". However years later it STILL has not stood up to legal challenge... Otherwise most things are still legal except full auto, get your CPL, and it's still somewhat free for the time being.
Sounds like things will continue to be interesting.  

Quoted:
I got the hell out of Washington 20 years ago and have never looked back... Western WA is California JR, cold not convince me to move back there.
Quoted:
Anyway, not trying to scare off someone from the area.  The reality is that we need more conservative 2nd Amendment supporters to move here, in numbers and faster, than the liberals.  "Cut and run" is a guaranteed method of ceding more territory to the enemy, and eventually you will be surrounded and overrun.  Even Montana has some blue counties now...
...as does Idaho.  

Not looking to be 'scared off', but do want to have information to base a decision on.  

Thanks to all - we'll see how things unfold.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Unless a huge pay raise or a short term job transfer stay in ID.  

WA is turning into CA all too quickly,
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wasn't clear enough in my initial request - private party & sales tax are the concerns.  
View Quote
You don't pay sales tax on guns from private parties. Buy a gun from an online gun shop and have it shipped to an FFL you pay 8.4% sales tax on it when you pick it up.

WA is still a pretty free state but it can all be lost in an instant, especially if these assholes get their measures on the ballots for the sheep to vote our rights away
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Which is why we can't sit by idly anymore. Every additional pro gun person we can get or convert helps.

In the last few years we have also gotten the use of silencers and SBR's, as well as some losing of i594 this year, we need to keep fighting the little issues the left loves to keep pushing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#16]
As someone who just moved to Idaho after living in WA for the past 20 years....you are going the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
You must be smoking crack to want to move from Idaho to one of the worst liberal hell holes in the entire country  I hope you're getting an astronomical raise but it still won't be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You must be smoking crack to want to move from Idaho to one of the worst liberal hell holes in the entire country ....
View Quote
I take it you're either seriously into hyperbole or you don't travel much.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe he never travels south?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You must be smoking crack to want to move from Idaho to one of the worst liberal hell holes in the entire country ....
I take it you don't work or live in the greater Seattle metro area.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the last few years we have also gotten the use of silencers and SBR's, as well as some losing of i594 this year, we need to keep fighting the little issues the left loves to keep pushing.
View Quote
Yes, I594 was modified this year - they clarified that it isn't a transfer to just hand it to someone, the original owner has to leave the area.  Also exempted curio and relics, and added 'inlaws' to the exemptions for transfers.  Also clarified that flare guns and construction equipment are exempted.  And weirdly, a transfer is legal to prevent suicide?  I don't understand the reasoning behind that one but ok - all you have to do to avoid I594 is say it was to prevent a suicide???

(d)
A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm if:
(i) The transfer  is  intended  to  prevent  suicide  or  self-inflicted  great bodily  harm;  
(ii) the  transfer  lasts  only  as  long  as  reasonably necessary  to  prevent  death  or  great  bodily  harm;  and  
(iii) the firearm  is  not  utilized  by  the  transferee  for  any  purpose  for  the duration of the temporary transfer;

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5552-S.E.pdf#page=1

EDIT: OH, I get it, the suicidal person is transferring the firearms to someone else so they don't have the firearms in their possession.  And that is now legal without any background check, provided the person your transfer to doesn't use the firearms for anything.  I was trying to figure out why they made it legal to give a suicidal person firearms. . .
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#22]
^ I wouldn't put it past them!

I wonder if they added that because of I-1491
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top