Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 5:25:46 PM EDT
For the uneducated, a cautionary tale.

Found a good deal AR on gunbroker and had it shipped to an FFL in Portland to avoid WA sales tax.  Drove 2 hours each way to pick it up only to be delayed... estimated date for it to be resolved? 21 days!   While I was there waiting for my bad news, I overheard one of the employees inform a customer that they were being delayed 6 months!  I enquired how common this was and I was told they typically have 200 guns at any given time waiting for background checks.  I was given a number for the state firearms board where I could leave a message to enquire about my delay and they'd get back to me, which I did before I left the gun store.

Drove home extremely pissed off and did some research.   The checks are administrated by the Oregon State Police, and although federal law allows FFLs to transfer a firearm to an individual if they have not been explicitly denied after 3 days, Oregon state law requires an approval before any transfer can take place. 

The 21 days was yesterday, so I called the gun store for an update and they advised me that my new projected date of completion is now October 27th!  Waiting on another call from the OSP to identify what documentation they need from the court (Relates to a bench warrant issues in '06 for a traffic citation) so I can look into getting that for them to expedite things.  once I get a better handle on that I may also will look into the possibility of cancelling the background check and having the FFL ship the gun to an FFL locally for running the 4473 in WA.  However, when I bought this idea up last week to the dealer in Portland I was told that this was "uncharted territory" so I may have to fight for that if it comes down to it.

All this for a $150 saving in sales taxes?  At this point, not even close to worth it.  FYI I have class III stuff, had a CHP in CO for 5 years and have a current CHP here.

I'll update the OP with info as I get it
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I pay $5 tax on a $50 stripped lower and build whatever I want with parts ordered from out of state
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pay $5 tax on a $50 stripped lower and build whatever I want with parts ordered from out of state
View Quote
Ha! Thanks for making me feel better! 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to do that until I got repeatedly hosed by OSP and decided the hassle and the gas weren't worth it.  

I think OR is the only state in the union that doesn't use NICS for background checks, and their shit is always down/broken. It's a joke.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For the uneducated, a cautionary tale.

Found a good deal AR on gunbroker and had it shipped to an FFL in Portland to avoid WA sales tax.  Drove 2 hours each way to pick it up only to be delayed... estimated date for it to be resolved? 21 days!   While I was there waiting for my bad news, I overheard one of the employees inform a customer that they were being delayed 6 months!  I enquired how common this was and I was told they typically have 200 guns at any given time waiting for background checks.  I was given a number for the state firearms board where I could leave a message to enquire about my delay and they'd get back to me, which I did before I left the gun store.

Drove home extremely pissed off and did some research.   The checks are administrated by the Oregon State Police, and although federal law allows FFLs to transfer a firearm to an individual if they have not been explicitly denied after 3 days, Oregon state law requires an approval before any transfer can take place. 

The 21 days was yesterday, so I called the gun store for an update and they advised me that my new projected date of completion is now October 27th!  Waiting on another call from the OSP to identify what documentation they need from the court (Relates to a bench warrant issues in '06 for a traffic citation) so I can look into getting that for them to expedite things.  once I get a better handle on that I may also will look into the possibility of cancelling the background check and having the FFL ship the gun to an FFL locally for running the 4473 in WA.  However, when I bought this idea up last week to the dealer in Portland I was told that this was "uncharted territory" so I may have to fight for that if it comes down to it.

The $150 I'm saving in sales taxes All this for a $150 saving in sales taxes?  At this point, not even close to worth it.  FYI I have class III stuff, had a CHP in CO for 5 years and have a current CHP here.

I'll update the OP with info as I get it

The $150 I'm saving in sales taxes
View Quote

4 hours of my time is worth more than $150.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
A right delayed is a right denied?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to do that until I got repeatedly hosed by OSP and decided the hassle and the gas weren't worth it.  

I think OR is the only state in the union that doesn't use NICS for background checks, and their shit is always down/broken. It's a joke.
View Quote
Or it's deliberately done. I'm leaning towards believing that they fuck things up on purpose.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or it's deliberately done. I'm leaning towards believing that they fuck things up on purpose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep I have to admit I was leaning this way as well. But then I posted something in the OR HTF to see how common this is and so far crickets... So perhaps this isn't as common as I thought.  How many times and for how long were you delayed MMcCall?

I spoke to the the OSP yesterday and BCSO today and they need to verify that the original charge for the bench warrant is not a disqualifier from gun ownership.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep I have to admit I was leaning this way as well. But then I posted something in the OR HTF to see how common this is and so far crickets... So perhaps this isn't as common as I thought.  How many times and for how long were you delayed MMcCall?

I spoke to the the OSP yesterday and BCSO today and they need to verify that the original charge for the bench warrant is not a disqualifier from gun ownership.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer.  
View Quote
Delayed once on a private FFL transfer, I went back down the next weekend. Then twice in a row I went to buy a rifle and OSP's systems was flat-out down.  As in, "it's broke and we don't know when it will be back".  These were retail transfers, not a gun I had shipped in, so I just bailed on it.

My FIL and a couple friends have experienced the same thing, basically piss off and call back later.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Next time, go to Post Falls... Idaho has no silly rules
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Your problem of a delay is very common these days on that side of the river. Their BGC's are ran through the state police. We won't even comment on the shit show they do on BGC's and record keeping. A gentleman I work with is on a 50 plus day delay on a hunting rifle right now and just bought a handgun without issue. Way to go OSP!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally got the rifle picked up and shot it yesterday.  

There were several calls back to the Oregon State police and five calls  to the Boulder County sheriffs office as they  apparently had difficulty and grasping what it was the OSP actually needed.  All of my interactions with the OSP were professional and friendly in nature but as I hate to wait for anything, they weren't easy conversations to have! 

All in all, there's no way that I would do this again to save 9% on a  rifle. 

Thank you to everybody who participated in the thread here is a picture of the rifle in question  

https://imgur.com/gallery/MyWpN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top