User Panel

Site Notices
Bullet Casting Basics (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 3 for the fun of it.
Pictures added to the lubrication section.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
great post, needs a sticky on the reloading forum
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
May try this when I get hoome
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Another salvage...
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you just stubmle on this and realize it wasn't dead?

I was going to bump it with my LBT moulds, but I wasn't 100% happy with them yet. Probably operator error, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
This is exactly what I've been looking for. It definitely needs to be a sticky in reloading.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt45] [#7]

Originally Posted By HABU:

Did you just stubmle on this and realize it wasn't dead?

I was going to bump it with my LBT moulds, but I wasn't 100% happy with them yet. Probably operator error, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

I was looking for something else and noticed it at the bottom of 28...since 45CB put a distinct amount of effort into it, I figured it was better to keep it "alive" rather than archived.

ETA- See 'Gator's post above.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 1:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phil_in_Seattle] [#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Any new questions or casters show up in the last year or so?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got everything but molds and a sizing set up.  Money is mainly for college right now, but if some extra funds come along, I know what I need.  Thanks for the info and the time you've taken to put it up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Eye protection – It goes without saying. I cheat as I wear prescription glasses. For me, this is good enough. For others, it may not be.

I would suggest a face shield, too.  There have been times when I was glad to have more protection than my glasses.

Sleeves/pants, shoes, hat – These items are personal choice. See above for disclaimer.

You want to have as little exposed skin as possible.  When the tinsel fairy pays a visit (and she will, unannounced) you want to be ready.  Synthetics are a poor choice in protective clothing because they melt.  Use cotton or wool instead.  Leather is good, too.

For a melting pot do not use aluminum.  It gets soft around the melting point of lead and will dump a potful of molten lead on your feet without warning.

A nicely done and well-illustrated guide to bullet casting.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By YOPD:

I've got everything but molds and a sizing set up.  Money is mainly for college right now, but if some extra funds come along, I know what I need.  Thanks for the info and the time you've taken to put it up.
What calibers?  What are your mould plans?

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Right now, 45ACP and 38 special.  I was gonna buy some Lee molds unless I ran into some good used molds at a price I can deal with first.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By YOPD:

Right now, 45ACP and 38 special.  I was gonna buy some Lee molds unless I ran into some good used molds at a price I can deal with first.
Use a LOT of caution if you are planning to use a Lee mould for a first mould.  Lee moulds have their own characteristics that are unique to themselves.  Learn on a known good mould before trying Lee moulds.  This way you can separate operator vs. equipment issues.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Very good information, and right on the money. I  used to cast bullets professionally for 2 yrs. at a store in Tucson, Az. named Jensen's Custom Ammunition. Then I ran the reloaded dept. for 3yrs. Those where the days. And you are correct when either sizing bullets or reloaded ammo commercially you size to the smallest size, and reload to min. overall length. Which as you stated will not always provide optimum accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 1:14:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HABU] [#16]
How to spend your day making ingots:

Start with a truck load of lead.

Dump lead into dutch oven(s).

Scoop out schmutz.

Fill up one bucket with schmutz.

Then another.

Ladle alloy into ingot moulds.

Proffit!

The wearing of a resperator is highly recomended.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 1:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy crap!

Good job, you'll get roughly 106,000 pills outta that!
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Sadly, at one ton of ingots that represents only 70K 200gr bullets.

Link Posted: 9/29/2010 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Truly informative piece. Thanks for cluing us dodo's in. Much more to it than I had previously thought. When I start another gun room, I wanna set up for casting to compliment my reloading.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Bumped to coincide with 45ColtBisleys PIF.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HABU:
Bumped to coincide with 45ColtBisleys PIF.

This is so fucking cool. I need an additional firearm hobby to tide me over when I run out of guns to build/buy. This would be a much better way to stock up for the zombies. Awesome!

Any information about how many lead .223s you can run through an AR before the bbl gets clogged or loses significant accuracy? I would think lead would have issues feeding in an AR?

-cwg
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:

Any information about how many lead .223s you can run through an AR before the bbl gets clogged or loses significant accuracy? I would think lead would have issues feeding in an AR?

-cwg
Well, how about a cop-out answer?  It depends.  

I would say that you could run a LOT of lead bullets through an AR before you started clogging the works up with lead dust.  The catch is you would need to measure your throat and size (and seat) the bullets accordingly.  You will also want to keep an eye on velocity, chamber pressure, and barrel temperature.  Mag dumps and bump firing aren't a good fit for cast bullets.

If your throat is generously sized (read .mil), it will be tough to "seal" it up.  Most leading occurs when the powder gas escapes around the bullet and
blows lead in front of it.  Think oxygen lever on a cutting torch.

I have a couple of Colt mfg barrels with a true 5.56 chamber.  I will have to see if I can get a reasonably accurate throat measurement and will report back (one of these days).  Of course, my barrel dimensions are gonna be different than your barrel dimensions, so what fits for me may not fit for you.  

As far as feeding - as long as the bullet profile is reasonable, I don't see an issue.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm seriously thinking of getting started in casting. I am trying to decide on the RCBS 44-250K (44-250KT if I can find one), or the Lyman 429421. I have heard good and bad things about both, but it seems the RCBS 44-250K(T) gets the nod from more folks. I currently shoot a mass produced 240gr Keith "style" bevel based bullet and get ok accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Hanzerik:

I'm seriously thinking of getting started in casting. I am trying to decide on the RCBS 44-250K (44-250KT if I can find one), or the Lyman 429421. I have heard good and bad things about both, but it seems the RCBS 44-250K(T) gets the nod from more folks. I currently shoot a mass produced 240gr Keith "style" bevel based bullet and get ok accuracy.
Both are classic designs that will remain timeless.  With the advances in bullet lube (assuming you are running a modern lube), the huge grease groove (reservoir) isn't as necessary.  When Keith designed the 429421, tallow and beeswax were in common use.

Go with the RCBS mould if you can find one.  RCBS uses iron blocks, Lyman uses steel.  The iron seems to release better compared to the steel.  Once the mould gets up to temperature, it is almost impossible to get bad bullets from an RCBS mould.

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I really wish people would stop bumping this thread. It makes me sick every time.
sick that I don't do it
yet,,

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Ditto.  I got a free bucket of wheel weights from the local tire shop, and melted them down into muffin molds.  I got nice, shiny lead waiting to be transformed!
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Another bump for a great thread.

Finally got everything needed to cast over the winter, and smelted down my WWs last week. It took a while to figure out the right temp for the pot and mold, but now have a few hundred Ranch Dog TLC432-265-RF 265gr bullets ready and waiting for sizing and gas checking.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 2:49:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eastwa] [#29]
I just received a brass 4 cavity H&G #503 .44 Caliber Keith mould made in Slovenia of all places.
Have used MiHecs 6 cavity aluminum HG #68 for a couple of years with great results in my Kimber.
As the OP seems to be a 45 Colt fan (I thought I was the only one), there is a group buy shaping up on the RCBS 45-270-SAA if interested over at Cast Boolits.com :
MiHec 45-270-SAA
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Matt45:
Still in on 1!
Great thread...But I still can't comprehend the first dozen or so lines

I can definetly see that this is starting to reach the epic proportions of the "make your own .223 bullets thread" a few years back...IIRC that was from The Red Horseman?

If it was the swage one it was me.

very nice post OP! very nice..
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
Originally Posted By Matt45:
Still in on 1!
Great thread...But I still can't comprehend the first dozen or so lines

I can definetly see that this is starting to reach the epic proportions of the "make your own .223 bullets thread" a few years back...IIRC that was from The Red Horseman?

If it was the swage one it was me.

very nice post OP! very nice..

Is that the thread wherein there was very detailed instructions on how to turn .22 cases into .223 jackets?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 2:36:25 AM EDT
[#32]
A good addendum to this thread would be heat treating cast bullets.

Before anyone goes full on spastic, yes the concept of heat treating cast bullets is the same basic concept as heat treating harder metals, like steel for example, but obviously done at lower temperatures for softer metals like lead alloys.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Heat treating cast bullets i just fill a coffee can with water and drop them out of the mold in to the water and quench them and makes them hard but don't get the water near the lead pot or you will have a explosion and you can put a old rag in the bottom of the can so you don't dent them and they have a soft landing in the water .
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#34]
These little 95gr's are cute, but will be a little harder to work with then the 250gr next to it. They are out of RanchDogs TL358-100-RF six cavity mold.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Well done!  I don't cast my own bullets, however, I learned a great deal from your posting.  Thanks for a very well put together posting.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I actually thought I somehow wandered into the reloading forum for a minute! Great thread that must not be lost!
Off to the garage!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Bullet Casting Basics (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top