Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 2:40:28 PM EDT
Yesterday I was driving down some rough roads looking for a spot to do some MILITIA training, and somewhere along the way I sprung a leak in one of my tires (perhaps one of the moron kids firing a 10/22 randomly hit it). Should I get it fixed or just replace 'em? They have a little life left in 'em, but are looking pretty worn. I was already considering replacement.

Where would be the best place to buy new tires, or to get this one fixed? I see myriad places offering tires and tire services, but I don't want to get ripped off.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of times Les Shwab stores will fix flats for free. But since I don't like to buy tires there, I only use them as a last resort. Just about all of my local tire business goes to Discount Tire.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always had luck with Discount Tire. A couple times they have fixed tires for me at no charge. Once they charged me about $10. They have the best prices and will beat others if you bring in their ad.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a set of these and you won't worry about flats anymore.

On the serious side you get what you pay for, I use a local biz here for tires because that is all he has done his whole life (very old man) and he has the best product at the best price, he charges for fixing a flat but the work he does is worth it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On the serious side you get what you pay for, I use a local biz here for tires because that is all he has done his whole life (very old man) and he has the best product at the best price, he charges for fixing a flat but the work he does is worth it.

I subscribe to this methodology. Support the locals when you can, either for tires or, for any retail products. Even if you pay more you are supporting someone in your neighborhood and not necessarily Sam Walton or the like. I didn't know there were any independent tire dealers left.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've always had luck with Discount Tire. A couple times they have fixed tires for me at no charge. Once they charged me about $10. They have the best prices and will beat others if you bring in their ad.

+1.  Probably the most knowledgeable staff at Discount Tire vs. anywhere else.  I've never been disappointed by them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Les Schwab for the fact if the tire goes tu in another town Schwab will fix it (if theres one in town) We have a trucking company so its nice having a comercial account as the commercial guy I deal with know his stuff and if I have a problem he will make it right with another schwab dealer and get someone who knows a few things about tires.  Our local private dealer is such a a$$h@le we wont deal with him at all.  Schwabs good if you look at the warrenty and realize any Schwab dealer will get you going and if you destroy a tire will prbably have it or can get it fast. Just my .02 worth.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My problem with Les Scwab is that the only tires you can come even remotely close to getting a good deal on are their ho-hum house brands. If you want something like a BF Goodrich or Goodyear tire, bend over and prepare to be raped.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discount Tires, I have bought over 20 sets of tires in the last 10 years from them, they have the best prices, best service and know there stuff, always gone out of the way to take care of me, if in Tacoma, use the Pearl St store and let em know John with the Land Cruiser sent you :)  And they will work with you on price......if you ask "is that the best you can do"

If the hole is in the sidewall..........DO NOT fit it, most places wont anyway. I have made field repairs to torn sidewalls only to get home.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1 on Discount Tire.

I bought my current set of tires from them.  At the same time I bought some new wheels.  They only had 4 in stock at the time so they sent a kid off to the South Hill store in the middle of Friday rush hour to get a 5th wheel for me so I wouldn't have to come back at a later date.

The prices were good and the staff was friendly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
What size tires?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1 on Discount tires.....I bought a set of Perelli A/T Scorpians 275/65 R16's there...235 bucks mounted and balanced......slightly used...probably had less than 100 miles on them......picked up a nail in the sidewall of one...they replaced it with a brand new tire.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Discount Tires.
I've bought several full sets of 5 from them over the last 20 years or so.
Ditto the comments on service, etc.

The wheels I just bought are from Les Schwab, but that was a matter of convenience.
The tires they put on were bought at Discount Tire...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yesterday I was driving down some rough roads looking for a spot to do some MILITIA training, tomorrow we will be hitting a supply convoy to get me some new F***ing tires.

That a boy go get 'em.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yesterday I was driving down some rough roads looking for a spot to do some MILITIA training, tomorrow we will be hitting a supply convoy to get me some new F***ing tires.

That a boy go get 'em.

Now thats funny!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, that's funny, RS_C!

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I've picked out a set that I want from Discount Tire and I'll have to get in touch with 'em sometime in the next couple of days. To answer your question, Migra, they are 215/75-15 size.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Costco for quality tires bar none.

They have the best prices / carry all the MAJOR name brands / free lifetime flat fix / tire rotation ( includes re-balancing each tire , each time )

Last set of Michelins I bought from them for my Jeep Grand Cherokee I got 80,000 miles out of  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Discount will meet or beat Costco, Costco will also not mount any size but what came on the car/truck,

I have always replaced my tires when they are 1/2 worn, I just sell the old ones, I like LOTS of tread to help me stop.

Quoted:

They have the best prices / carry all the MAJOR name brands / free lifetime flat fix / tire rotation ( includes re-balancing each tire , each time )

Last set of Michelins I bought from them for my Jeep Grand Cherokee I got 80,000 miles out of  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Man, that's funny, RS_C!

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I've picked out a set that I want from Discount Tire and I'll have to get in touch with 'em sometime in the next couple of days. To answer your question, Migra, they are 215/75-15 size.

Damn, I have some Uniroyals in 205/75/15 I'm not using.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Discount will meet or beat Costco, Costco will also not mount any size but what came on the car/truck,

I have always replaced my tires when they are 1/2 worn, I just sell the old ones, I like LOTS of tread to help me stop.

Quoted:

Most Discount Tires I have seen in operation is a rush rush job to get you in and out the door.

I have seen them: cross thread lug bolts by starting the nuts with an impact gun vs by hand ( which is the proper way )

You don't know the bolts are cross threaded until months later BTW.

Also most discount tire shops rarely use a torque wrench to properly tighten the tire on to proper specs.

Observe them casually next time you are there & then watch a Costco ( non rushed professionals ) in action.

I've seen them both 1st hand and will take Costco every day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#20]
The kids installing tires at Costco are now "professionals"???

BWWWWAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Give me a fawking break.

I've always watched Discount install my tires and have always observed the lug nuts being properly started, gunned down, and finally torqued to spec with a wrench
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Dick's Tire Haus...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been very happy with both Discount Tire and Costco.  Excellent prices and service at both.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Give me a fawking break.

I've always watched Discount install my tires and have always observed the lug nuts being properly started, gunned down, and finally torqued to spec with a wrench

Ask around at both shops:

Discount tire has people working there with as little as 1-2-3 weeks ( or none ) tire experience.

Ask at Costco ( most have been there years )

Do as you all wish, I don't give a rats ass. I was simply offering my personal experience & advice.

Use it or lose it.... I won't lose any sleep over it
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fawking break.

Discount tire has people working there with as little as 1-2-3 weeks ( or none ) tire experience.

Do as you all wish, I don't give a rats ass. I was simply offering my personal experience & advice.

I think you live in a different world than those of us who appreciate Discount Tire.  Costco doesn't even begin to compare in terms of knowledgeable staff.  Ask them about plus sizing, siping or proper load rated tires for vehicles that need them (hint: their answer will be a blank stare).  Your descriptions of Discount Tire don't jive at all with those from anybody I've known who has dealt with them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fawking break.

I think you live in a different world than those of us who appreciate Discount Tire.  Costco doesn't even begin to compare in terms of knowledgeable staff.  Ask them about plus sizing, siping or proper load rated tires for vehicles that need them (hint: their answer will be a blank stare).  Your descriptions of Discount Tire don't jive at all with those from anybody I've known who has dealt with them.

Nevermind Costco's policy on concealed carry.......
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fawking break.

The salesman on the floor @ Discount Tire may be up to speed in the tire world .... but the $8 an hour new hires in their garage / shop WHO ARE ACTUALLY INSTALLING the tires is a completely different scenario.

For those that are happy w/ DT. I am glad you like their service. I am speaking from 1st hand knowledge w/ my bad dealings with DT about 15 years ago. Both the Everett Evergreen Ave store and the Totem Lake store in Kirkland.

Thats all I have to offer on this subject.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't believe Costco is an option for me because I'm not a member of their club.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't believe Costco is an option for me because I'm not a member of their club.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Man, that's funny, RS_C!

Damn, I have some Uniroyals in 205/75/15 I'm not using.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Military Exchange.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top