Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 8:40:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Lets see if I can get through this post without using the "T" buzzword I've grown to despise so.

With the new AR, I need some accessories, but I don't know all the terms, or where to get them. I'd also like any input of opinions if anyone has them....? (ok, stupid question)

It looks like I'll need a carring case, (scabbard) for it, if I want to paticipate in one of the practical rifle matches at any time, since it appears they are required. Maybe something with some mag pouches, or small storage for other gear, while still easily fitting behind the seat of my pickup. (standard cab) Preferably, nothing too "T".  I bought a nice case from Bullseye has 5 mag pouches plus an accessory pouch.  OD Green and black to match my rifle Ran me about 50 bucks.  Brand name starts with a K, can't remember

I'd also like a sling for it. I do actually plan to do some hiking while carrying the rifle, so it needs to be comfortable, and non-hindering for rougher terrain, and which still allows the rifle to be put in to action fairly quickly. I have no idea what is standard, or what all is in the marketplace. Front carry would be acceptable to me, and so would back.... but not too "T"! I have always liked the standard Nylong Sling that the Army issued me.  But some of the 3 point slings are real nice for front carry.  For a standard sling, you can buy from almost any shop that also sells ARs.  For the front carry 3 point, "T" tailor in Lakewood has 'em, as well as Quantico Arms.  Standard sling is going to run you about 8-12 bucks, 3point will run you 25-30

Then there's ammo. I am down to my last 300 rd. battlepack of that stuff from S. Africa. It seemed to shoot well in my last AR, and I'll be sighting in with it this afternoon. But, I think I heard that stuff is not as easy to get anymore...? So, if I need to look for a new brand, I may as well be choosey. I think the stuff I hunt with in my bolt .223 is a bit pricey for the practical rifle matches or other high quantity shooting days, but I do prefer to have an expanding bullet. Is there any bulk type ammo in the marketplace that is loaded with expanding bullets, 55gr or lower? (brass case & affordable highly preferred) Remember, if it has the "T" word on the box, I'll probably be predjudice against it, and likely jinx the stuff, even if it's good. M855 from James at the Gun show is the way to go

Remember my browngunner mentality, and go easy on me.

"T"actical

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#2]
www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16293&cat=277&page=1

This is like the case I use. Has 2 mag pouches on the side. Not "T" looking. Easy to open the zipper, has a sling so I can throw it over my shoulder or a handle so I can pack it around. Nice heavy duty material.

I like the standard military sling. Not fancy in the least, but it gets the job done.

I can't help you on ammo, since I shoot wolf almost exclusively. Although I will admit that I used the winchester white box from walmart this weekend at the practical match.

ETA: remember with some 3 point slings it can be difficult to shoot left handed, which may be required during the practical match. I had to shoot left handed on the first stage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey OdT,

Try this link for a budget case ($12)... Cheaper Than Dirt

And a medium priced one ($25)...
case

Elite case ($30)... elite case

Catch all sling ($20)... sling

T sling ($20)... T sling

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it weighs 8 pounds, but it is nice and sturdy. I actually have the service rifle case, which is a bit longer than the one I linked. I used to use it to carry around my target 22. I went to toss the case/target rifle over my shoulder one day. Somehow I missed catching the sling and just tossed the ($2000)rifle about 10 feet behind me onto the concrete. I was pissed, thought I would have broken something. Rifle came out of the incident with zero scratches/dents/marks. Zipper was a little buggered up on the case, but easily fixed.

A military sling will hook to the stud on the bottom of the stock. Usually the three point slings are the ones that lace through the buttstock. The front usually attaches using a stud coming off of the front sight base. But you have a gas block instead, there should be some sort of attachment availabe.

Twenty round mags are out there, and very popular. Especially with competition shooters as they tend not to get in the way of a good prone position. I had a 10 rounder that came with my bushmaster, but I gave it away
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]
USGI 20 round mags would probably suit your needs. They are reliable. I'm not sure if you will find any reliable 10 rd mags or not.

I use the "discreet" case from Bushmaster. I believe it, or a copy of it, can be found from other sources now for less than the $75 Bushmaster used to sell it for. It is rectangular so if someone sees it being transferred from your vehicle they don't immediately think you have a semiautomaticbabykillingmachinegun. The one Bushmaster carries has a nice padded second compartment that easily accomodates another rifle. It doesn't have the velcro straps on the second side but like I said it is padded so all is well.

I primarily use xm193. The prices of it have gone up a good bit. It is not expanding. I have not tried any 62 grain rounds like m855. I rate the reliability and consistency of xm193 right up there with South African. Of course, I shoot dirt, so my opinion is not as discriminating as others.

For a sling consider a single point HK clip style. I believe Teknic is selling the receiver plates. I bought a few from him. If he's not carrying any slings yet look up Adrenaline Arms. He sells slings and HK style clips. In his industry forum there were some links to reviews of that setup for more info.

*edited to add:
Link to sling setup: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=133&t=141035
Link to Eagle case: www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=45033405
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Heres my case, they have oodles of them at Bullseye.

If you end up going to bullseye, my phone better ring.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.gunaccessories.com/Kolpin/20256.jpg

Friday would be a good evening for a trip to Bullseye.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Too cool! Thanks so much!

So how does a sling typically attach to the fore end of an AR? I can install a swivel stud to the handguard easily enough, but maybe I'm missing a more obvious way...?

What about the rear? I see some pics that show the sling being woven through the buttstock, rather than using the swivel itself...?

Anyone have a pic of a GI issue sling?

Pics for review...
www.localaccess.com/dktaylor/AR/AR1.jpg

www.localaccess.com/dktaylor/AR/AR2.jpg

PCR, do you have a pic of your case?

Kooter, does that case really weight 8lbs like it says on the page? Was it worth that kind of money? (I've never spent that kind of dough on a scabbard before)

Thanks for those links Spyda.

How about smaller mags? Are they a specialty item? I had a ten rounder with the last AR, and it's all I ever used with it. Never even loaded the thirtys up to see if they worked. But a twenty would be cool too... any such thing?

I have a set of YHM sights (front and rear) that would look pretty good on that thing.  I don't expect anything more than a beer for the both of them if you want 'em.  As for the sling, I have a tan single-point UDC made by Blue Force that's never been used and only dropped once, same price.

Not much of a fan of single point slings any more, cause it's like running with a college buddy that wants to play nut-check all the time.  

I use Blue box for practice and Red box for-real, but if you want some good stuff for plinking and half-ass practice white box isn't bad for the cash... easy to find at Mall Wart too.

For other "T" stuff, go to Quantico Arms and "T" Tailor, right down the road from each other in Lakewood.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are looking for one of the cheaper expanding bulletts give to winchester varmints a try 45gr hallow point .Sportmans warehouse is the cheapest place I have found 12.99 for a box of 40 they told me they will give a 5% discount for a case of 400

Have a great time sighting in
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.gunaccessories.com/Kolpin/20256.jpg

Friday would be a good evening for a trip to Bullseye.

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Save me some legwork

I thought you were a nasty leg.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#14]
For a carrying case I like the "covert/discreet" style offered by several places.
Tactical Tailor for example

For a carrying sling given your browngunner mentality a standard two point is probably familar to you.  You can make one yourself, from a strip of webbing and two slides.  A three point gives more options including easy carry at patrol ready

I have a Specter gear 3 point for the M1A and I like it
www.spectergear.com/slings.htm

Single point slings aren't my pic for carrying a rifle out and about, they have a use, but they don't seem to fit that one well at all.

For high quantity shooting with a 55gr expanding bullet get in touch with www.surplusammo.com (who else of course!) and see about getting some HSM in one of their other bullet offerings www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/hsmrifle/223rem.htm, I see their MSRP on the 55gr PSP is nearly the same cost as the 55gr FMJ (don't let those website prices scare you, we pay considerably less at the funshows)

20rd magazines are $15 or so and are readily available.

I think that I have a 10rd magazine that I'd donate to your parts collection.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dang Phil, I really like that case, and for the same reasons you mention. How do you think it will hold up to weather and abuse?

If it's from a quality maker, like Tactical Tailor or Eagle, I think you'll have a tough time wearing it out.

One other item. I notice the plastic buttplate is a bit slippery on my shoulder. What do they make, and where can I get it? (My last AR had a rubber shoe that snapped right on... do they make the same for this stock? in green?)

Low cost, no frills options to fix that are:

No slip tape

A line or two of RTV silicone

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
<snip>
Sighting in a high power rifle @ 100 yards is damned hard without magnified optics!! I think the rifle, ammo and EOtech were all doing their jobs, but my eyes were having a hell of a time distinguishing the conventional paper targets.

So, once I felt it was close to being where I wanted it to be, I stopped and finished by just enjoying shooting the new gun. Most shots kept within a 4" 'pattern', though a couple didn't. I'm not sure I can do any better than that with that sight. I'll keep the EOtech on it for awhile, and see how it serves me all-around. But it wouldn't surprise me if I went back to a variable scope later on, like all my other rifles wear.
<snip>

Try this:

Zeroing your AR-15
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
A stock single stage trigger can only be made half ok. Mess around with it too much and you remove the surface hardening or make it unsafe.

Visit ADCO and take a close look at the Geiselle. I have one and wish I had 4 more.

Another good trigger is a JP Enterprises kit with the speed hammer. It's a single stage but the engagement angle was changed a bit so there isn't as much camming affect, plus it's adjustable for sear engagement and overtravel. I have one of those as well, you're welcome to try both at LCR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]
My advice on the trigger?

Don't try Tumbleweeds Geiselle trigger, you'll be out $278 if you do.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A stock single stage trigger can only be made half ok. Mess around with it too much and you remove the surface hardening or make it unsafe.

Affirmative, I had already read forums on trigger mods and the strong advice not to mess too much with the stock triggers but since I already had a replacment I went ahead and smoothed the trigger up with fine polishing stones.

It worked for a while but then became a two round burst and then three round burst with every pull of the trigger, so I yank it out and threw it away and put the replacement back in.

It was fun for a little while, I have tried two friend's adjustable trigger and it is awful nice but the price not so nice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
For a carrying case I like the "covert/discreet" style offered by several places.
Tactical Tailor for example
www.tacticaltailor.com/images/products/covert_carry_case_md.jpg

I like that style of case also, but I got mine from www.savvysurvivor.com

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude, whatever you get, remember the main thing....It's gotta look cool.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Visit ADCO and take a close look at the Geiselle. I have one and wish I had 4 more.

Another good trigger is a JP Enterprises kit with the speed hammer. It's a single stage but the engagement angle was changed a bit so there isn't as much camming affect, plus it's adjustable for sear engagement and overtravel. I have one of those as well, you're welcome to try both at LCR.

Tumbleweed, how do I know if I need small pin or large? Also, for JP, I see triggers and then trigger kits. I assume I'll need the kit..... so are these drop-in parts, or is it a 'fitting required' deal?

JP first came out with the kits and some of the early ones needed a little fitting, but nothing serious. I recall the installation and adjustment sequence was sort of a pain. Then JP came out with their new trigger that is a complete drop-in. Don't know much about it but I'm sure it's good to go. Either way, get their speed hammer too since the sear engagement area is on the hammer in a single stage system. You can adjust these triggers down to 0 sear engagement and 0 overtravel.

On the Geiselle the large pin is slightly oversized for worn receivers. Since you have a new lower the small pin should be perfect. It comes pre-adjusted and includes the hammer. Basically a drop in but you check things out as you go so it's something you don't just slap together. Instructions are excellent. I got the service grade which has heavier springs. The 1st stage was bit too heavy so I bent the spring legs a tad to lighten them (per instructions). 2nd stage was perfect. No sear adjustments were needed at first but now that I've put a few hundred rounds through it I'm going to add a little more engagement for that 2nd stage. I hear the match grade trigger is scary light but you can contact the company directly and get different spring sets, or pins for that matter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'd be tickled with a crisp and consistant 3-4lb single stage trigger pull, (preferably with an overtavel adjustment, since I'm a picky bastard). This is a field gun for my purposes, so it likely wont be back on a bench after sight in.... no need to spend more than I need.

In that case the JP will fit those requirements. It's a single stage so there is no 1st stage take up like an M1A or Garand. You can set the sear engagement so there is little to no creep. It cams the hammer but the geometry was changed so the trigger weight is down around 3lbs. I set the overtravel to a bare minimum and haven't had any function problems in an AR-15, as dirty as I get them. I also have one of these in an AR-10T and haven't had any accidental double taps. One thing I do is use stock hammer springs to ensure good primer strike. That adds a slight bit of trigger weight but it's still way better than a stock trigger.

I looked at their website and see what you mean? about small/large pin. I'd highly recommend the JPFCP-1 complete package.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#33]
And it looks cool!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top