Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 10:45:06 AM EDT
Well, I just took and won the Battalion Soldier of the Quarter Board.  In two weeks I go to the Regiment/Brigade Soldier of the Quarter Competition.  More details later, after lunch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding!...

Have you made E-4 yet?

( I assume you are since you were a Officer once, but then I thought they went to E-5)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]
No, because I never had a commission.

Because of how my guard time converted, my BASD is 01 Oct 2004, so I don't even have enough TIS for a waiver for E-4.

But I get paid E-3 with Over 3 years!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyways, here's the story:

I went to the Soldier of the Month board back in October (it's too old to be in Search, and not old enough for the Archive server, so no dice), and won.  The Command Sergeant Major said the SOQ board was going to be in February.

So yesterday, during a PT Test, I get told by my PSG that I'm going to the board today.  I don't get any time to prepare for this sudden board, because I'm busy all day.  When I got told about the board, I was told it was a "practice soldier of the month board to prepare for the SOQ board next month."

This worries me, because at the SOM board the CSM got mad at the HQ 1SG for sending more than one representative to the SOM board, and got mad at some SP4s who went to use it as a practice for their SGT board the next month.  Here, I was a culprit for doing both.

That evening, around 1730, I talk to the 1SG to get the board topics (since that's when he said to get them), and he said he'd talked with the CSM about that situation, and the CSM was cool with it, and even liked the idea.
Cool beans.  I've got a practice board in the morning that I barely have time to prep for.  No biggie, it's just a practice board.

This morning, I get told by the Admin POG that I'm in the paperwork for the *actual* SOM board.  This worries me again, because of the above stuff.  We then find out the SOQ board is today, and not next month.  My sponsor asks me if I'd be ready for the SOQ board, and I say I'm not and would be fine doing SOM.  Well, the CSM overhears this and says "You already did the SOM board, right?" "Yes Sarnt Major."  "You won, didn't you?"  "Yes Sarnt Major."  "The you're doing SOQ this morning."  "Yes Sarnt Major."

So anyways, now instead of having all day to study (last in the line for SOM, last guy to go to the board), I have like 45 minutes (SOQ board is 2nd, not last, so I'm done by 11am).
So I'm a bit nervous now, completely and totally unprepared, and not really up on my board questions.

I go into the board, and don't really get asked very hard questions.  Turns out I won, and got 146 out of 150 points.  Yippee!

Now I go on to the Regimental/Brigade Soldier of the Quarter Competition.  It consists of, in order, a PT Test, Rifle Qualification, CTT Testing, Technical Knowledge Written Test, Daytime and Nighttime Land Navigation, and the SOQ Board with the Regiment CSM as the President of the Board, and the BN CSMs as the board members.

The competition is 17-19 Jan 2006.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
And when does the Audie Murphy Board come into play?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Uhhhhhhh, he ain't 3rd ID and this ain't Germany??

(They do AM here?)

I'm happy for ya Brian, I really am- BUT
- truth be told, I always thought SOM/SOQ/SOY boards were a waste of time in Combat Arms (Especially Infantry) units....Squad competition and field training always builds a better team. We need dirt chewers and well rehearsed teamwork in the real world, not a bunch of garrison BS and book answers. Save the "well rounded" soldiering for the pouges and AG units.

I apologize for pissing on your parade, but IIRC, your unit is heading out in a year or less......
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You're just jealous 'cause you didn't get to go to the SOM last month.
The Audie Murphy is stateside and the Sgt. Morales is overseas isn't it?  I can never remember.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, I just took and won the Battalion Soldier of the Quarter Board.  In two weeks I go to the Regiment/Brigade Soldier of the Quarter Competition.  More details later, after lunch.

Good Job!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Good job; someone buy that soldier a coke or a lemonade or whatever the heck it is that he drinks.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
- truth be told, I always thought SOM/SOQ/SOY boards were a waste of time in Combat Arms (Especially Infantry) units....Squad competition and field training always builds a better team. We need dirt chewers and well rehearsed teamwork in the real world, not a bunch of garrison BS and book answers. Save the "well rounded" soldiering for the pouges and AG units.

I apologize for pissing on your parade, but IIRC, your unit is heading out in a year or less......

I actually quite agree with you.  But I've done a total of about 4 hours studying, total (between all 3 boards, CO SOM, BN SOM, and BN SOQ), and all of it was on my own time.  The competition includes actual soldier tasks, so it's actually decent training (especially compared to what we're doing around here ... bleh).

BTW, we're not on the rotation schedule for 2006.  We don't even certify until next year.  Not saying we won't deploy sooner than that, but Very Bad Things have to happen for us to deploy this calendar year.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
double tap, because ARFCOM doesn't want to move with a purpose today ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Audie Murphy is stateside and the Sgt. Morales is overseas isn't it?  I can never remember.

Yeah...Sgt Carr, NCO of the Qtr...a sure sign of the apocalypse. Just validates what I posted earlier- a board soldier is not always one that can function in theater.

Morales, Murphy???? I forgot about Morales.....
Now I'm confused as well...it's been a while.

Like I said Bri- Good on ya, but keep your shot group tight in regards to warfighter tasks. Commo, 1st Aid, react to contact drills, ect.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Matt your just jealous that we sent all the squared away soldiers to the board(snicker). Next time I will be sure your at the top of the list(whether you want to or not).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Matt your just jealous that we sent all the squared away soldiers to the board(snicker). Next time I will be sure your at the top of the list(whether you want to or not).

Sgt. Salinas...

Your sorry ass is still in the Guard?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ummm...

(Two word comment deleted and saved for the day I have to take my misguided freind to the Bear Pit and straighten his sorry ass out.)

I'll see your sorry ass this afternoon, MoFrucka!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Time to get VB drunk and have an eyebrow shaving party!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Better pack a lunch and bring your school books, you got some learning to do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats pretty cool :) I haven't had the chance to attend a board yet. I imagine that won't happen till my E6 rolls around. E5 is automatic for us 18x'ers so we skip the inital board all together.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhhhh, he ain't 3rd ID and this ain't Germany??

(They do AM here?)

Yes they do, in Infantryland atleast. As for the rest of REMFland, could not tell you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats on winning voilsb.   Wall hangers are nice...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top