Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/22/2003 1:00:52 PM EDT
Dear Mr. Kregger:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on the assault weapons ban. I appreciate hearing your concerns about gun control and understand how strongly you feel about the right to bear arms.

You should know that I take our Constitution very seriously. It is a most fundamental goal for me as your Senator to work to uphold the rights guaranteed by our founding document. Furthermore, I know that recreational use and collection of guns for hunting, sport, and other activities is extremely important to you and many other law-abiding Washingtonians.

Just as I am committed to protecting Second Amendment rights, I believe you would agree with my long-standing conviction that we must keep guns out of the hands of criminals and children. I believe that the Assault Weapons Ban has been a tool that has aided efforts to keep uniquely dangerous weapons out of the wrong hands. The Assault Weapons Ban prohibits the sale of 19 semiautomatic assault weapons and the production of ammunition clips that hold more than ten rounds. As you may know, President Bush supports reauthorizing the ban, as do all major law enforcement organization in the country. I look forward to working in a bipartisan way to maintain this common sense gun law.

As your Senator, you can be assured that I will work to protect the legitimate rights of law-abiding American gun-owners, while continuing to support responsible gun control legislation to reduce crime and make our communities safer. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again on this or any other issue.
Sincerely,

Maria Cantwell
United States Senator
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2003 1:13:31 PM EDT by cmjohnson]
So her name should be Maria Cantthinkwell, shouldn't it?

Write back to her and explain to her that no LAW ever kept a determined criminal from obtaining the tools necessary to commit a crime.

Tell her to quit blaming the gun and start blaming the criminal.

Remind her that there is no evidence that the Constitutional authors were thinking of duck hunting or recreational purposes when they were considering the 2nd amendment, they were thinking about the people's right to defend themselves against all enemies, including their own government should it turn into a tyrannical government. "Assault weapons" are the BEST tools to ensure that the people retain this ability, so hence our Constitutional right to have THAT CLASS of weapons is probably stronger than our right to lesser weapons.

Meanwhile, this stupid ban has only harmed law abiding citizens. And those who are inclined to abide by the law aren't the people you should be worried about, no matter WHAT sort of firearms they own. Guns don't make people evil or cause them to break the law.

And so on and so forth, ad nauseum.

CJ

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:41:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2003 1:44:04 PM EDT by headpulper]
Yes; our state, along with CA and NY possess the most leftist Gun haters in the Senate. I haven't wasted my time writing to them because I don't think they even read the letters. They just determine the basic topic and what side you're on and spit out the appropriate form letter. I've seen this particular drivel from Cantvotewell before as a response to a friends letter. These senators wouldn't alter their vote on the issue if each and every gun owner in the state wrote to them in a similar manner. In short, they are hopeless. Until the repub.s can come up w/a viable candidate (not at all likely given the demographics of these states), there will be no change.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:14:51 PM EDT
You're from Washington the state, right?

Maybe she'll spend too much time in rainy Seattle and get pneumonia and have to quit her job due to health reasons.

One can only hope.

If she's a hay fever sufferer, find out where she lives and pay all of her neighbors to grow lots of ragweed and other heavy producers of the nastier varieties of pollen.

Think subtle and stay legal, but think of ways to reduce her quality of life so that she just quits.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:00:14 PM EDT
George Neathercutt, R-Wash, is running in 2004 for the Senate. He is a pretty good guy, and is a pro-gun type/middle of the road.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:37:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WaMag:
George Neathercutt, R-Wash, is running in 2004 for the Senate. He is a pretty good guy, and is a pro-gun type/middle of the road.

All true...but with King, Pierce and Snohomish counties serving as Democrat "machines" , he has no chance of winning (even if he takes the rest of the state). The leftist simps in Seattle are far too numerous for us to make a difference. Hence, the lack of concern for our views on 2nd Amendment issues.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:12:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2003 6:15:19 PM EDT by SuperChicken]
well, I'm going to take a stab at her (figuratively speaking, sorry Feds). Here is my letter about The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, Bill S.659:

Dear Senator Cantwell,

I am writing to you in hopes that you will recognize the logic of and support The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, Bill S.659.

This law, if passed, will "prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunitions for damages resulting in the misuse of their products by others."

It is quite obvious that companies are not at fault for crimes committed with weapons they have sold and/or manufactured. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." I, along with many other Americans, feel that individuals must be held accountable for their actions. Why punish the company and industry for illicit acts of individual employees?

If you continue to support absurd "common sense" and other gun control laws, you will never have my vote nor receive campaign donations.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
[SC]

I haven't finished editing it yet, so tell me what you guys think. This is being sent through that 'contact me' me thing from the senate's website. I'm also going to write a copy and send it to her office here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:28:25 PM EDT
How about "Think through an issue instead of being a rubberstamp for the Democratic Party." Care more about the people in your home state and less about what the DC and PC crowd thinks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:29:36 PM EDT
"The Assault Weapons Ban prohibits the sale of 19 semiautomatic assault weapons and the production of ammunition clips that hold more than ten rounds."

Actually it doesn't ban the sale of any weapons. It bans the importation of any more weapons that meet a bunch of stupid ass criteria.
Top Top