Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2003 5:27:32 PM EDT
What is the deal on handguns in the state of washington?   I usually go down to Pendleton OR, and pick up rifles, but am thinking about a Walther P22 for fun.  The dealer said they have to transfer it to a washington state dealer.  Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]

What is the deal on handguns in the state of washington?

Thats not a WA thing it's a federal thing.  Handguns transferred through dealers in your state of residence only.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
So is there a waiting period and do I have to do anything else?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
WaMag,

Check this guy
East County Guns

He had the best prices I had seen on P22s when I worked there. He does online sales too, just need a local FFL to affect the transfer.

Course, no sales tax in OR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So is there a waiting period and do I have to do anything else?

Five business day waiting period is involved unless you have your CPL.  If you have your CPL, it's NICS check, pay your money, and you go out the door.

On a P22 you might pay more for the transfer fee and shipping then you will for the WA state sales tax.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Sportsman Warehouse in the Tri-cities has them for ~$230 and 5" for around $257.  Is there a five day waiting period on a transfer?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted: Is there a five day waiting period on a transfer?

If you don't have a CPL, then yes there will be a waiting period.

search.leg.wa.gov/wslrcw/RCW%20%20%209%20%20TITLE/RCW%20%20%209%20.%2041%20%20CHAPTER/RCW%20%20%209%20.%2041%20.090.htm

(1) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a pistol to the purchaser thereof until:.....

(a) The purchaser produces a valid concealed pistol license.....;

(b) The dealer is notified in writing by the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides that the purchaser is eligible to possess a pistol under RCW 9.41.040 and that the application to purchase is approved by the chief of police or sheriff; or

(c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section, and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Phil!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top