Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 1:33:05 PM EDT

Is it the coc, the eecoc, the hometown coc, arfcomss, arfcommods or where that doesnt allow wts/wtt/wtb ads in hometown sections?

I guess my question is, IF its a local hometown rule, and if the will of the masses is to wish to have one, would it really hurt or be a big deal if there was one post of 'local sales' tacked.

Something like, 'You put it in, you take it out/DAMMIT!' kinda thread. I would guess if it doesnt sell in a week or two, it goes anyway (thats a clue there is a reason it didnt and incentive for you to get it moved or shutup about it.)

Just kinda ramblin a little, as we have all seen a few requests and ads in these muddy waters, and this is not the only state with the ads.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a current topic being discussed by mods/staff. The standing ruling passed down by Sr Staff is that it is not allowed. All "for sale" type posts are to be placed in the Equipment Exchange.

The hurt is when someone places something for sale in the E/E, then also posts it in the Hometown forums. It's double posting. It is just an unnecessary drain on resources.

If Staff/Sr Staff change the ruling, I will go along with it. I have no personal problem with those ads being in the Hometown area, but this isn't my site. I don't make any rules.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I completely understand and appreciate the answer. I agree multiple posts are a very unnecessary drain on valuableresources.

I guess I kinda put forth an idea in mine. I abhor people who ask a question or want something and have no plan.

I would suggest to limit system drains;

1) Any person be limited to one post in one 'Local Trade' tacked thread.

2) Items are not be posted in ee at same time as appears locally.

3) Be policed by the poster (read pulled when sold or time elapses or moved to ee)

I am sure Im not the only one who strongly prefers firearm purchases that are done only with other local people. Nothing like fondling the merchandise with no distance issues. I can see many disadvantages and also a lot of benefits. We need Solomon in on this one.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps put the full info on the item for sale in the EE section, but a short note here saying  "got stuff for sale in the WA area, heres the link".???
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
CavVet, I'm not going to disagree with your suggestions, but those suggestions or similar have already been made to the higher-ups, before the ruling that all sale ads belong in E/E. I think another reason for this very well could be that the advertisers who support the site wouldn't get much visibility if all the states just broke off and did their own trading in-state. This isn't what I was told, but just a possibility in my personal opinion.

However, there is a work order in place for setting up the E/E to search by state.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
However, there is a work order in place for setting up the E/E to search by state.

I think that would make this a non issue.

And THATS a great idea.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I put an announcement at the top of the WA Hometown forum for searching the equipment exchange for all ads from WA people. Advertiser's ads should show up also, even if they aren't in WA.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
<Applause>

Good Work JAFO.....

& TYVM!

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, what did I do wrong?

The Following Errors were detected:

Cannot search on a keyword of one or two characters in length.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok, what did I do wrong?

The Following Errors were detected:

Cannot search on a keyword of one or two characters in length.  

I'm not sure how you got that error. I couldn't replicate it. Did you click on the link in the announcement at the top of the Washington forum?

Oh, I think I figured it out. You are putting "WA" in on the search page? I think the future will bring better search options to search by state, but for now, just go to the tope of the Washington Hometown forum, and click the link in the announcement. It brings up all the E/E ads posted by WA members. (only those who have WA listed in their bio)
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe a Members only option, everytime I click the link in the top post, I go to the plain search page....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahh...  perhaps that's it. I will ask about it.

Anyone else having problems with the link?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
It didn't work for me yesterday when I tried it after first seeing the post, but it seems to be working fine now.

Give a try CavVet.

Pretty cool feature too!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Pretty cool feature too!

Indeed!

THX!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top