Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:05:13 PM EDT
I thought about this before, but a couple of weeks ago I was at my local range and there was about three or four guys that did not look regular at this range, well not to me anyway they looked verey curiously at my guns and others, I belive they were shooting rented guns

Any way my friend just showed me a picture of one of them in the paper while shooting, his budy was filming him in the range, I remember that seen, they turned out to be gang members in Trenton NJ and were busted for something, I didn't read the whole story

The thought of this and how they were checking out other peoples guns looking with envy, makes you wonder if a range is a good source for a criminal or otherwise a prohibited person from snatching someones gun or walking out with one of the rentals, wow that guy was so close and almost bumped into me, you got to watch whos is next to you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
one of the reasons I always keep a sidearm on me. though at my local ranges the only thing I really have to worry about is stepping on this little old guy that is there EVERY DAMN DAY collecting brass. Doesnt matter what you are shooting, he will ask if you reload, and if you say no, he asks if you mind if he takes your brass. Im like , sure, less mess for me to clean up. What I didnt expect was for the little shit to be crawling around the damn tables grabbing brass while Im trying to shoot. Now I just avoid that range if I see his truck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
They had a problem with this at Nokamixon (sp?)  there were several incedences where cease fires were called and guns got stolen while people were down range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to go to Nokamixon years ago and it started getting real scary with some characters who looked like they were on heroin or crack litterally.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
One night at the local range there was numerous instances of major safety violations occurring.  The first one, a womans gun jammed while firing.  She then proceeded to exit the stall with her finger on the trigger aiming the gun at my buddy, while we are asking her to take her finger off the trigger.  We then told her the gun was so filthy that she should go home and clean it.  (IT WAS)  We then alerted the range master of this.  

Thinking the problem was over, a father daughter combo came in to that same lane about 20 minutes later.  It was obvious it was the girls first time shooting.  Again numerous safety violations by the dad, racking the slide with finger on the trigger, crossing himself and his daughter while keeping his finger on the trigger.  In fact, I dont think he ever took his finger off the trigger.  Well when it came time for his daughter to shoot, he had her hold the gun while he put his arms around her.  The rangemaster came over and said you need to stop that, at which point the girl turns around gun in hand finger on trigger pointing the gun at the range master.  WOW, the rangemaster was not happy about that and abruptly asked them to leave.  

It is sad that you cant go to a shooting range without having to worry about getting shot yourself.  I am always conscious of who is around me while at the range, cause you never know.  Talking with the rangemaster, these problems have recently become more and more of a problem.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at those guys I imeadiately got an uneasy feeling, I too kept a side arm at all times loaded, I hope to never have to draw it for other than paper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I often wear my vest at the range.  Other people are idiots.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
yea after that incident i decided that i am also going to start wearing mine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I always carry a concealed sidearm at the range and take my rifle with me if I go down range to change targets.  I belong to a private club and most of the time I'm the only one there, so thats a plus.  I used to go to the local public range, but also got tired of all of the safety problems. Much better to pay a few bucks for the private range and be safe.

My .02

BTW, anyone going to the Harrisburg gunshow March 18 & 19?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
There are frequently gangster types at Ready, Aim, Fire.  I guess it's the downside of having a public range with rentals.  The good news is I haven't had any problems or seen any safety violations yet, although the last time I went I looked on the wall of the stall I was in and saw a bullethole .
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys think thats bad, an indoor range near me had people renting a pistol, going into the stall, and then comitting suicide.  This happened at least twice that I know of.  Now imagine, your shooting with your buddys or daughter/son, and brain matter splatters around you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I always carry a concealed sidearm at the range and take my rifle with me if I go down range to change targets.  I belong to a private club and most of the time I'm the only one there, so thats a plus.  I used to go to the local public range, but also got tired of all of the safety problems. Much better to pay a few bucks for the private range and be safe.

My .02

BTW, anyone going to the Harrisburg gunshow March 18 & 19?

I plan on attending. Need direstions coming from I 83 North. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I often wondered that about one or two of the public ranges that I used to frequent.  It seemed like every once in a while the homies took a road trip to try out some new gats.

Definately not as many shady people at the ranges as there are at the gunshows though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There are frequently gangster types at Ready, Aim, Fire.  I guess it's the downside of having a public range with rentals.  The good news is I haven't had any problems or seen any safety violations yet, although the last time I went I looked on the wall of the stall I was in and saw a bullethole .

the last stall on the right,next to the target control?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the last stall on the right,next to the target control?

Yup!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
one of the reasons I always keep a sidearm on me. though at my local ranges the only thing I really have to worry about is stepping on this little old guy that is there EVERY DAMN DAY collecting brass. Doesnt matter what you are shooting, he will ask if you reload, and if you say no, he asks if you mind if he takes your brass. Im like , sure, less mess for me to clean up. What I didnt expect was for the little shit to be crawling around the damn tables grabbing brass while Im trying to shoot. Now I just avoid that range if I see his truck.

I think I know which range you're talking about!  That guy is annoying as hell!  Is it the range on the side of the road in the Pottsville/Minersville area?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top