Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2003 6:17:43 PM EDT
Found this link and thought it might be of interest to others.

www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/pennsylvania.asp
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Happy Jack for posting that site. It seems the one listed in the *Important Pennslyvania Web Sites* thread wasn't working . I just replaced it with the one you posted. Thanks again for looking out for your fellow gun owners.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
  "Location Limits

No person, including concealed weapon permit holders, may carry in any vehicle, a loaded firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches, a handgun with a barrel length less than 15 inches, a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches, or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches.  Section 6106.1(a)."

..Ok,..I'm confused...This paragraph is just over 'half way down the Pa. regs. Can someone clarify the meaning of this for me, please.

I know "firearms" are rifles, SBR's, shotguns, but the "handgun" with a bbl less than 15" is confusing.
Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
  "Location Limits

No person, including concealed weapon permit holders, may carry in any vehicle, a loaded firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches, a handgun with a barrel length less than 15 inches, a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches, or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches.  Section 6106.1(a)."

..Ok,..I'm confused...This paragraph is just over 'half way down the Pa. regs. Can someone clarify the meaning of this for me, please.

I know "firearms" are rifles, SBR's, shotguns, but the "handgun" with a bbl less than 15" is confusing.
Thanks,
John

They have it backwards.  A "firearm" is generally defined in PA as:

Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

As such, a long gun isn't generally defined as a "firearm" in PA, although some specific section of PA code include separate definitions of a "firearm", which does include a long gun (definition valid in only those sections, however).  

Since our CCW is a license to carry a "firearm" (and not "weapon" as that website states), you can't legally carry a long gun.  Since "carrying" extends to your vehicle, you can't have a loaded long gun in your car, which  seems to me, to be exactly the opposite of the above site's interpretation.

Rocko
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top