Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/14/2003 6:17:43 PM EDT
Found this link and thought it might be of interest to others.

www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/pennsylvania.asp
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:11:31 PM EDT
Thanks Happy Jack for posting that site. It seems the one listed in the *Important Pennslyvania Web Sites* thread wasn't working . I just replaced it with the one you posted. Thanks again for looking out for your fellow gun owners.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:19:50 PM EDT
"Location Limits

No person, including concealed weapon permit holders, may carry in any vehicle, a loaded firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches, a handgun with a barrel length less than 15 inches, a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches, or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches. Section 6106.1(a)."

..Ok,..I'm confused...This paragraph is just over 'half way down the Pa. regs. Can someone clarify the meaning of this for me, please.

I know "firearms" are rifles, SBR's, shotguns, but the "handgun" with a bbl less than 15" is confusing.
Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:34:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goshawk:
"Location Limits

No person, including concealed weapon permit holders, may carry in any vehicle, a loaded firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches, a handgun with a barrel length less than 15 inches, a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches, or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches. Section 6106.1(a)."

..Ok,..I'm confused...This paragraph is just over 'half way down the Pa. regs. Can someone clarify the meaning of this for me, please.

I know "firearms" are rifles, SBR's, shotguns, but the "handgun" with a bbl less than 15" is confusing.
Thanks,
John

They have it backwards. A "firearm" is generally defined in PA as:

Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

As such, a long gun isn't generally defined as a "firearm" in PA, although some specific section of PA code include separate definitions of a "firearm", which does include a long gun (definition valid in only those sections, however).

Since our CCW is a license to carry a "firearm" (and not "weapon" as that website states), you can't legally carry a long gun. Since "carrying" extends to your vehicle, you can't have a loaded long gun in your car, which seems to me, to be exactly the opposite of the above site's interpretation.

Rocko
Top Top