Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2017 9:57:23 AM EDT
I moved to AZ last March and now that it is starting to cool down a bit my wife and I are thinking about going down to Tombstone to look around. I really like history and the old west and I am wondering if there is anything worth seeing around there. Is it all cheesy tourist stuff for kids and idiots, are there any out of the way spots nearby worth stopping?

The old west town in Dodge City KS was initially kinda lame, but I found out that they did have a neat museum with some cool relics and pictures.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
It is neat but def a tourist trap.  Original buildings though.  The silver mine tour on the edge of town is awesome.

Wine country is not far away as well as Chiricahua national monument and ft Bowie if you spend a few days in that area.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I would hit both Tombstone and Bisbee. I like Tombstone but it can be done in about an hour or 2. The ghost town of Fairbanks is nearby and a neat but quick stop as most of the buildings are being worked on.

ETA: found a neat site that has a list of ghost towns in Cochise county http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/azcochise.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If you arrive with low expectations of Tombstone, you won't be too disappointed. A lot of the 'history' in Tombstone is based on...movies.  You can still have fun there; I'm just sayin'.  Bisbee is really cool, though, and much more original.  Between the two of them, you can make a day out of it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you arrive with low expectations of Tombstone, you won't be too disappointed. A lot of the 'history' in Tombstone is based on...movies.  You can still have fun there; I'm just sayin'.  Bisbee is really cool, though, and much more original.  Between the two of them, you can make a day out of it.
View Quote
This.

I dig Tombstone, and it's a top 5 all time movie of mine, but there isn't a lot to do there. The town is cool, but really small. We took a day trip down there from the Oro Valley a couple years back. Watched the gunfight reenactment, took a tour, wandered the town, and had some food and drinks at Big Nose Kate's saloon or whatever. Not much more to do than that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Fort Huachuca is nearby and has several museums on post you may want to check out. The old courthouse in Tombstone is worth seeing. The worlds largest rose bush is also in Tombstone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fort Huachuca is nearby and has several museums on post you may want to check out. The old courthouse in Tombstone is worth seeing. The worlds largest rose bush is also in Tombstone.
View Quote
Well shit, now I have to go back!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am usually not into large bushes
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]
They PAVED Allen St. in Tombstone.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a high clearance vehicle spend at least a day exploring abandond mines in the surounding areas.  Bright a good couple of lights!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can’t believe you missed it! THE LARGEST ROSE BUSH IN THE WORLD! Isn’t that what Tombstone is known for?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:54:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Take a high clearance vehicle spend at least a day exploring abandond mines in the surounding areas.  Bright a good couple of lights!
View Quote
That's a good way to get killed. Don't do it.
Dangers In and Around Abandoned Mines
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Swing by Kartchner Caverns while you are down there. That was a pretty damn cool tour.

Tombstone: you get there, park, walk around a little bit, watch the gunfight, overpay for lunch, then get back in the car. Definitely go, but it's only a couple hour activity.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's a good way to get killed. Don't do it.
Dangers In and Around Abandoned Mines
View Quote
Ok captain killjoy!  Do it at your own risk and assess the risk in each situation. Don't go too far, don't go in if it looks crumbly, don't go up or down shafts, use a good light so you can adequately assess hazzards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Only one Z in hazard. Unless you're talking about Kentucky.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I learned to spell watching 80s tv shows, don't judge me!  MURICA!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Jumping a charger over a fishing hole is almost as dangerous as exploring abandoned mines, no reason not to do it though
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Waste of time, gas, and money. Went in January, one hours worth of things to see and do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top