Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2017 2:02:31 AM EDT
I recently received the Cox Communications notice that my high speed internet is now capped and I will be charged for any overage.  I have never really considered my cable/phone/internet bill.  I just pay it, and it was about $375.00.  But this last effort to nickel and dime me made me look into my services and I discovered no one in the family watches TV other then me.  And I only watch a few channels.  Also, we have a home phone line but we do not know where our phones are, but hey it was bundled.  

So, I looked around.  Found DirectvNow and magic jack.  So I have cut the cable and the phone.  Kept the internet.  And expect to save about $200.00 a month.  Wow.  Who knew.  And the only reason I looked was because Cox sent me a letter saying they were going to charge me more for internet.  

Cox will still get the few extra dollars a month for internet because I cannot decrease our internet usage.  But they are going to loose a lot more than they will gain.    

And my wife is thrilled because we got ride of the three cable boxes, and the cables to the cable boxes.  DirectvNow is cable to the modem/router and wifi from there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Between Netflix and a jailbroken Amazon Firestick, the wife and I can watch whatever we want. We don't care for news or sports, so those aren't an issue. Haven't had cable in eight years and have no intention of ever helping out the shitpeddlers again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Having still the bad taste in my mouth having to deal with Cox when I lived for a few years in Henderson, NV, I gave up on cable myself after that.

Here, I get it for free as a perk for the job that I do, so meh
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a Zbox a few weeks ago and am liking it as a replacement to cable/dish that will get dropped this week. $120ish for 3 or 4 channels that I watch is not a good ROI..
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up a $10 antenna and get all the local stations for free, working on the rest of it. Dish bill is $39 and will go away soon. Still stuck with Cox for internet. Any line of site providers around?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Amazon with HBO, Hulu and Netflix. I don't know how cable is still a thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picked up a $10 antenna and get all the local stations for free, working on the rest of it. Dish bill is $39 and will go away soon. Still stuck with Cox for internet. Any line of site providers around?
View Quote
I just tried this last week, and picked up one of the amazon ones.. and I'm pretty fucking impressed.

The main benefit is you get all of the local news stations. You also get a lot of weird public access and bad movie type stations, and probably 1/3rd of the channels are spanish only. My only thing is I just wanted to be able to watch the local news in the morning and evening. Everything else I can do through my amazon firestick. Next time I head up to the cabin up in Forest Lakes, I'm going to bring that antenna with me to see what I can get from Winslow/Flagstaff. We're paying WAY too much for satellite tv up there, so that could possibly chop $150/mo out of the expenses during the summer.

Amazon Product
  • NOTE: Channel reception will vary depending on what's being broadcast in your area, how far away you are from broadcast towers, and your surroundings (i.e. obstructions between you and the towers)
  • 35 Mile range to access from broadcast tower; receives free HD channels including ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, Univision and more
  • Reversible with black or white sides to match your home's decoration; antenna can be painted over to achieve a more personal touch

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
How are you liking the DirectvNow? Been considering one of the streaming options but Directv i am not too sure about. Bad taste from their satellite service.

Anyone tried Slingtv (dishnet) or the Hulu's tv services?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cox will still get the few extra dollars a month for internet because I cannot decrease our internet usage.  But they are going to loose a lot more than they will gain.    
View Quote

I have Cox Internet.  We cut cable 2+ years ago.  All we use is either OTA TV or we stream.  We stream A LOT! Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, Chromecast on 2 TV's, NAS server with all our movies digitally stored...

With a wife and 5 kids, all with cell phones or laptops or tablets...

We have never gone over (or even really come close) to the new Cox Data Cap.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How are you liking the DirectvNow? Been considering one of the streaming options but Directv i am not too sure about. Bad taste from their satellite service.

Anyone tried Slingtv (dishnet) or the Hulu's tv services?
View Quote
Holy crap, how have you been Dauph? Been a long time.

I just increased my Cox internet speed this week to so I could stream better. We are cancelling DirecTV next week.  It should save us about $60-$80 per month with increased internet speed and decreased TV cost.

We are going with Amazon Prime, Netflix and Sling (orange and blue). I bought two Amazon FireSticks and we are off to the races.

I didn't like Hulu during the free trial. Sling was closer to the traditional cable line up and programming like Cox and DirecTV.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Holy crap, how have you been Dauph? Been a long time.

I just increased my Cox internet speed this week to so I could stream better. We are cancelling DirecTV next week.  It should save us about $60-$80 per month with increased internet speed and decreased TV cost.

We are going with Amazon Prime, Netflix and Sling (orange and blue). I bought two Amazon FireSticks and we are off to the races.

I didn't like Hulu during the free trial. Sling was closer to the traditional cable line up and programming like Cox and DirecTV.
View Quote
Been good. Between work and kids things are busy. You?

I have access to amazon, Netflix and Hulu. Lots of stuff on there. Traditional cable is nice for local stuff but that antenna looks like a great option.

Is stuff on Sling on demand or can it be recorded? Or do you have to watch it at the time it airs? Sling has a lot of channels I like including the sports channels. Need to try the free trial.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Netflix has been getting better. Amazon prime is a must with the firestick. I didn't like HULU either. I haven't tried any other services.

For the new house, I went with Cox 100mbps Internet, which came with a Contour tv box for local stuff, and that came with free HBO for a year.  That's $65/mo, which is is about half of what I was paying at the condo. I could probably go without the contour box, but it is nice to be able to watch the HBO channels live, vs having to go through HBO go or the firestick.

The people that owned the house before me were using satellite, and cox wanted to run coax cables across the front of my house, on the house, two times..  That was not going to fly on my freshly painted house, that would have pissed me off to have to look at that for years. The installer was too "large" to run the cables through the attic, but he finally found a solution that didn't require holes and cables dangling off the front of my house.

That's also after they botched my install order three times, and somehow turned the cable off at the condo where the ex-gf lives for the rest of the week, so she called all pissed off about that. It's been a fun week
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
How the hell do you exceed your data cap?  I have Cox's least expensive internet option and get 1024 GB a month but never use more than 200GB.  I don't have TV service either so all my entertainment comes from streaming YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

Quoted:
Between Netflix and a jailbroken Amazon Firestick, the wife and I can watch whatever we want. We don't care for news or sports, so those aren't an issue. Haven't had cable in eight years and have no intention of ever helping out the shitpeddlers again.
View Quote
What does the Firestick offer and what does jailbreaking it accomplish?  

My only complaint with not having TV service is not being able to watch Fox News.  I'm not going to pay $50+ a month just for that though.  Does anyone have a solution for getting Fox that doesn't require paying for a whole bunch of channels I won't watch?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Fox has a "channel" on roku and firestick. All it does is give recaps and short clips. There's a fox news radio option or additional channel as well that is a little easier to leave on and listen just for background noise.

I never screwed with trying to jailbreak any of the devices, or use Kodi. It's not difficult to do, but a lot of people use it in "grey area" of legality, so I just never wanted to be concerned about that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
After close to two decades of paying a huge DishTV and then later DirectTV bill we finally dumped the satellite TV, the land lines and all the bundling crap several years ago.

We now have just an internet bill and our cell phones for expenses.  And we pay a small fraction of our old expense.  All we have for TV is a digital antenna for local programming and Netflix. Its really enough although we have considered getting Amazon as well.    Streaming is the only way to go and I really think cable and sat TV will go the way of landlines soon enough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
There are a lot of good points in here, but no combination of streaming services can give you what cable/satellite can. Frankly, not even close. And, I like the freedom to watch literally whatever I want, whenever I want. So, to me, cable/satellite are still well worth the price of admission.

After tax, I pay $184 a month to have a four TV Cox setup with their top of the line Contour boxes, every single channel they have available, their 300 meg internet connection, and a home phone line we don't use. I can think of a hell of a lot of worse ways to drop under $185 a month. And, if Cox ever knocks me out of my price tier/package in a year or two, I then just switch back over to Directv or Dish for their specials. When cable or satellite companies raise your bill, you just go to one of the other competitors and get a one or two year deal from them. It's an easy cycle that many people I know have been doing for years. Best is when one of the companies also offers like a $200 Visa gift card for starting new service with them - even if you already had service with them recently in the past. Foolproof system.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#16]
That said, Netflix and Amazon have some badass original programming these days as well. So, naturally, we also have those services.

Though, Amazon is essentially free because who the heck isn't already gonna pay for Amazon Prime annually? It's a must.

And, Netflix is cheap as shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Been good. Between work and kids things are busy. You?

I have access to amazon, Netflix and Hulu. Lots of stuff on there. Traditional cable is nice for local stuff but that antenna looks like a great option.

Is stuff on Sling on demand or can it be recorded? Or do you have to watch it at the time it airs? Sling has a lot of channels I like including the sports channels. Need to try the free trial.
View Quote
Same with work and kids too.

Sling is both on demand and recorded in the cloud but not on all channels.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I like Sling. Its nice to have all my programming on firesticks at home and at our place in Heber. Seamless.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I kept Cox for internet, and went with Direct TV.  Very happy with it.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I to unplugged from cox about 3-4 years ago now. what raised the flag for me was not one but two increases back to back. they bumped us up $25 one month and another $17 the following month. gave them a call to see what was going on and the lady told me that they have to increase their costs periodically. I mentioned I understand that but why the back to back increase and was just given it is what it is schpeal. so I told her I refused accept that as an answer that they could either remove the second increase or they could lose me as a customer. within minutes cable and internet were shut off. lol

so we went with another ISP and do the Netflix/hulu gig and it works for us and we have saved thousands over the years.

guess they'd rather have nothing than something.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I to unplugged from cox about 3-4 years ago now. what raised the flag for me was not one but two increases back to back. they bumped us up $25 one month and another $17 the following month. gave them a call to see what was going on and the lady told me that they have to increase their costs periodically. I mentioned I understand that but why the back to back increase and was just given it is what it is schpeal. so I told her I refused accept that as an answer that they could either remove the second increase or they could lose me as a customer. within minutes cable and internet were shut off. lol

so we went with another ISP and do the Netflix/hulu gig and it works for us and we have saved thousands over the years.

guess they'd rather have nothing than something.
View Quote
What the hell they really bumped y'all up that much over 2 months? After the first 25$ increase I'd be calling and getting the reversed. Any change in my bill and they get a call and it goes right back to what it was before. You got fucked cousin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#22]
We have just bought a Firestick and "upgraded" it ourselves. Holy Crap! The content that is available is insane. Just need to figure out local channels my wife is insisting on and I'll shut off dish network. Best $75 I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What the hell they really bumped y'all up that much over 2 months? After the first 25$ increase I'd be calling and getting the reversed. Any change in my bill and they get a call and it goes right back to what it was before. You got fucked cousin.
View Quote
Yup! There were no negotiations back then I guess. lol they snipped it with a quickness. Didn't bother me none. I don't watch TV anyways

Was the end of life for the Wife though. lol
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#24]
You guy’s ever heard of a Dragon Box? I’m the local reseller in Scottsdale. I’m not allowed to pitch you here but you can PM me for details.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I would love to get rid of cox basic tv as all i need are the local channels, but have yet to find a tv antenna that will grab anything for me where I live.  I have tried an antenna like the one posted and did not get anything.  So if I want any tv, I have to have the shitty 'cox' starter cable which does have the very low end local channels.  Also have 100Mb/s internet (which is data capped @ 1TB/mo) and a landline for the fax.  Hits right @ $125/mo which I feel is pretty ridiculous.  Will probably drop back down to the 50Mb/s internet as I RARELY can saturate the 100Mb/s stream, so it is kind of useless.  It is just me and my wife, so not a lot of useage.  The only reason I opted for the 100Mb/s was the cox rep told me I needed it to use their Contour app, which is not true as 50Mb/s would be just fine as we only watch 1 TV at a time.  Will have to give them a call and see if I can get it below $125, maybe try another antenna again as that is what I would rather have  vs cox standard tv.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top