Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a pretty rounded day you have worked out! be sure to get plenty of rest.

Bruce
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JC10311:

Get up to pee at least three times

REPEAT!
View Quote
Maybe this is what they really mean by 'The Golden Years'.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JC10311] [#3]
I've been doing some preliminary design for the cabin I'm going to build this spring/summer/fall. These plans are sort of to scale, but not precise. The cabin will be 24' X 32', making it 768 square feet. The 10' X 20' shed that I already have will be converted to guest quarters. The site plan is my best guess, but could change a lot.

I'd love gentle criticism, comments and suggestions.  I didn't draw in any windows, but there will be some, obviously.

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
You plan on building the entire house by yourself?

Are you planning on making a tower for the rifle range to shoot from the deck at the longer range targets?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GSL:
You plan on building the entire house by yourself?

Are you planning on making a tower for the rifle range to shoot from the deck at the longer range targets?
View Quote

My intention is to do as much of the work as possible, but I realize that an old man like me has lots of intentions that I cannot fulfill.  I will have the foundation piers done by purrfessionals.  I've been offered help by a couple of neighbors and the church for heavy lifting.  I'll also have the standing seam roof done because I want it done right and I've never done one before.

I have done a lot of framing, plumbing, dry walling, flooring, and electrical before, so I'm comfortable with all that.

No tower in the plans, just an elevated platform or berm.  The way the land lays, I can get 1,000 yards on my property and about a mile if I use the BLM land that borders me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
Wrap the porch around the other side so you can shoot in style.
View Quote

I would, but I ran out of paper.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Couple things pop out to me, but looks great for the most part!

In the Kitchen try and triangulate your stove/fridge/sink, it creates better work area flow while cooking.

One from experience, keep water sources away from the batteries invert-er area.  We had a problem at our off grid location, battery bank area and washer where in the same room........  After a cold spell the line feeding the washer split and flooded the area with all the batteries and power distribution.  And you think we would have learned from that experience but no, couple years later our water storage tank froze at the valve assembly and dumped down grade 500 gallons into you guessed it the battery bank area

Been following your thread with great envy, I cannot wait until the kids are done with school, so I can pull the pin on living in the valley.

Not sure exactly where your at up there but watch out for the damn Llama running around!  Years ago we repaved the 61 up there and had a rogue Llama hassling us at the pit south of the 61/53 interchange.........  Then I always got good laughs out of the nuns walking the goats in down town St. Johns
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Turn the whole thing to face east.
Put the toilet on outside wall so you can have better access to shower. Need at least 32-36 inches of door.
Move guest quarters to Texas. Tell them the local hotel needs the business.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks very nice, and the porch idea is great.

An idea might be to put your kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet, washer/dryer (kitchen/bathroom wall) back to back on a wall so you only have one plumb wall.  It might save a little money and all issues with freezing, winterizing, crawl space, etc., confined to one area.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By usmcmp:
Turn the whole thing to face east.
Nope.  The million dollar view is to the south.

Put the toilet on outside wall so you can have better access to shower. Need at least 32-36 inches of door.
No plumbing in exterior walls.  Been there done that.  I'd change the layout in other ways if access becomes a problem.  Agreed on 36" doors.

Move guest quarters to Texas. Tell them the local hotel needs the business.
All my ex's live in Texas.  That's why I live in Tennessee Arizona.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
Looks very nice, and the porch idea is great.

An idea might be to put your kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet, washer/dryer (kitchen/bathroom wall) back to back on a wall so you only have one plumb wall.  It might save a little money and all issues with freezing, winterizing, crawl space, etc., confined to one area.
View Quote

I thought about swapping the sink and stove, but I really want a window above the sinks.  I'm planning on PEX for all the plumbing, which eliminates burst pipe problems.  The crawl space will have insulated exterior walls.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:23:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JAFFE] [#13]
I've been following this, with interest, since you started.  Color me envious.  AZ is at the top of my list for locations if I can swing a move.

The kitchen triangle was already mentioned - maybe give a thought to moving the fridge one fridge space closer to the sink, and put floor-to-ceiling cupboards for a pantry where you have the fridge now?

Even if you don't do a full porch wrapping around the west side, having a patio cover on the west will help keep a good portion of the summer heat off the side of the house.

Looks like a great start for the plans IMHO.

Looking forward to further updates as you get this done.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Moving the fridge toward the sinks makes sense.  Having additional pantry space is always a good thing.  In the next iteration I also move the sinks to the left a little to maintain reasonable counter space to their right.

The plan doesn't show it, but in my head the roof overhangs by at least two feet.  I'm also planing on 10' exterior walls and a cathedral/vaulted ceiling in the great room area.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
The plan doesn't show it, but in my head the roof overhangs by at least two feet.  I'm also planing on 10' exterior walls and a cathedral/vaulted ceiling in the great room area.
View Quote

Make it 10' on the south and vault it one way north and you could have two levels over the bedroom/bath area.  Interior shooting platform!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tcataz:

Make it 10' on the south and vault it one way north and you could have two levels over the bedroom/bath area.  Interior shooting platform!!!
View Quote
Going for the full Eeeeeeeeee, aren't we?

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I think an old cast iron tub built onto a nice wooden structure near the propane tank would be fun.
Shoot while you soak ;)
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone able to run up there and see if this guy is at least getting his laundry and dishes done....

What the heck man, aren't you at least shoveling snow and getting stuck in the mud?

Give us an update.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#19]
cat ate the computer. LOL 

Bruce
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone able to run up there and see if this guy is at least getting his laundry and dishes done....

What the heck man, aren't you at least shoveling snow and getting stuck in the mud?

Give us an update.
View Quote

LOL!  I'm still looking at the grass from the top side, well actually it's SAND!  

Driving on these roads after a snow or rain is like being on a Slip-N-Slide covered in ox snot.  Even in 4WD it's sporty.  I get to town about twice a week, and yes I get my laundry and dishes done.

I'm always up for visitors.  Just bring your own tent, trailer, etc.

I got a very rude awakening regarding water.  About two weeks ago I noticed that my drinking water was tasting stale.  Well, Montezuma and his entire fucking army showed up.  Three days of pure hell and a 20 pound weight loss.  I'm now using only bottled water until I can get all three water tanks cleaned and sanitized.  I have a water purifying system for camping and emergencies, so I'm not completely screwed, but I have to ration water more than I used to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]
That sounds rough.

How often do you think you will have to sanitize your tanks to keep them clean enough to drink out of?

What is the the process to sanitize the tanks?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
That sounds rough.

How often do you think you will have to sanitize your tanks to keep them clean enough to drink out of?

What is the the process to sanitize the tanks?
View Quote

I generally drain and sanitize the tanks once a year.  The process is basically to flush the tanks with a bleach/water solution a couple of times and then flush and refill with fresh water.  When I get water from the well I put in a couple of ounces of unscented bleach in the 275 gallon tank, so I was surprised that it went bad.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#23]
How far are you from your nearest neighbor? What if you have a medical emergency on the homstead?

Haven't seen much mention of emergency planning/first aid preps so far.  Be careful out there and keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BeRzErKaS:
How far are you from your nearest neighbor? What if you have a medical emergency on the homstead?

Haven't seen much mention of emergency planning/first aid preps so far.  Be careful out there and keep up the good work!
View Quote

My nearest neighbor is about 3/4 mile away.  I have a reasonably well stocked trauma kit and basic first aid stuff on hand.  My biggest concern is getting hurt when I'm away from the trailer.  I generally keep my cell and a FRS/GMRS radio with me so I could call for help, assuming I'm able to.  Most people on the ranch have FRS/GMRS and are listening.  My radios are actually ham radios, so I have lots of opportunities to call for help.

I have no illusions about getting help quickly, so I tend to be a bit more careful when doing dangerous stuff like chain saw work.  I refuse to let a fear of getting hurt stop me from getting things done.  When I get to the point where I'm building the cabin, I'll ask a few people to help, so I won't be doing high work or heavy work alone.

I also keep basic medicines on hand, although I try to use natural remedies when possible.  Let's face it, being alone does add some risk, but think about how many times we hear about the old lady next door dying and not being found for weeks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I was a tinny bit worred last week when you missed the net. I asked if anyone had your number to call and check on you. I was going to send an email and then I seen you had recently posted on arfcom. I figured if you were good enough to post on line, your good enough to not be dead. :-)

Hope to hear you on tonights arfcom net. 

Scooter
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:
I was a tinny bit worred last week when you missed the net. I asked if anyone had your number to call and check on you. I was going to send an email and then I seen you had recently posted on arfcom. I figured if you were good enough to post on line, your good enough to not be dead. :-)

Hope to hear you on tonights arfcom net. 

Scooter
View Quote
Thanks for the concern.  I was in town at a church thing and couldn't make it.  My Internet connection is wonky (tech term) and the Echolink client gets pissy and pukes (medical term).

I should be on the net tonight.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#27]
JC10311,

If you are that remote you might want to look into a PLB incase of a dire emergency.  
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-electronics--resqlink-buoyant-personal-locator-beacon--13381207?recordNum=1

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#28]
JC10311,
Haven't hear from you in awhile and have been following your posts since your initial move and through the final move.
Hope all is well and your enjoying your time in the hills.
Keep us posted as to your current situation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:49:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JC10311] [#29]
Things have settled into a pretty boring routine.  Now that spring is here, I'm getting the itch to do some outdoor projects.  There was one minor disaster.  We had a wind storm that pulled my evacuated tube system out of the ground and smashed every tube.  I wasn't using it yet, but it sucks that I have to replace it.  I have set up a couple of targets, so I can have some fun.  I was planing on getting the 500 yard target set up this weekend, but the forecast is for rain.

Stay tuned, bat fans.  Same bat time, same bat channel.

Smashed tubes:

500 yard range:
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#30]
The first step of my solar upgrade is done.  I replaced one of the Morningstar TriStar 60s with an Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT controller.  The next step is to upgrade the panel array from 1000 watts to 2000 watts.

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Nicely done. Hopefully these storms coming through aren't causing you too much grief
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:
Nicely done. Hopefully these storms coming through aren't causing you too much grief
View Quote
What storms?  Seriously, I could see lightning way off in the distance, but all we got here was a sprinkle and WIND!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Life has taken on a dull routine.  I have SO many plans and dreams, and no money to make them come true.  So for now, it's just the same old daily routine.  It doesn't help that I'm sick most of the time.  I get a few things done, but mostly it's just sitting in the trailer surfing the net.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Why are you sick all the time? Bad water? Dust or pollen?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Why are you sick all the time? Bad water? Dust or pollen?
View Quote
Some nasty GI thing going on that the docs haven't figured out yet.  It's not parasites or fungus.  Those tests came back negative.  I have lower GI cramps constantly and other disgusting things.  I'm going back in for more tests tomorrow.  It got a little better for a while, but Montezuma and his entire fucking army have returned.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#36]
We were up your way about a week and a half ago, took the 377 from the 40 to Heber, dang was it windy.

Any chance your gut issue is from water storage or a well, etc? I know in my trailer the water gets funky over time….hope you feel better soon
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By rob3:
We were up your way about a week and a half ago, took the 377 from the 40 to Heber, dang was it windy.

Any chance your gut issue is from water storage or a well, etc? I know in my trailer the water gets funky over time….hope you feel better soon
View Quote
Water was my first thought as well, so I started using water from town.  No change.  I flushed and sanitized the tanks (see earlier posts), and use only city water.  We'll see what comes up after tomorrow.

This is the most effective diet I've EVER been on.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Life has taken on a dull routine.  I have SO many plans and dreams, and no money to make them come true.  So for now, it's just the same old daily routine.  It doesn't help that I'm sick most of the time.  I get a few things done, but mostly it's just sitting in the trailer surfing the net.
View Quote
Since you brought it up...   How ARE you funding this?

I think a lot of us dream about ditching city life and setting up a homestead on a peaceful patch of earth somewhere.  How'd you make it happen?  Are you retired?  Or do you have some kind of sweet software coding job that allows you to work remotely from anywhere?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BeRzErKaS:

Since you brought it up...   How ARE you funding this?

I think a lot of us dream about ditching city life and setting up a homestead on a peaceful patch of earth somewhere.  How'd you make it happen?  Are you retired?  Or do you have some kind of sweet software coding job that allows you to work remotely from anywhere?
View Quote
I'm mostly retired, but have a sweet software development gig that lets me  work remotely.  It's been many years in the planning and prep.  I basically put away enough money to buy the land, trailer, and systems outright.  The cars are paid off, too.  My ongoing monthly expenses are around $700 for everything.  It took almost everything I saved to get here, so there's not a lot of wiggle room.  I'm old enough to collect Social Security, which accounts for about 2/3 of my monthly income.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Water was my first thought as well, so I started using water from town.  No change.  I flushed and sanitized the tanks (see earlier posts), and use only city water.  We'll see what comes up after tomorrow.

This is the most effective diet I've EVER been on.  
View Quote
Make sure your doc has checked you for West Nile if he hasn't already. My second place isn't that far from you, and I got tagged with it
about 10 years ago after working on the place outside for a week and had all sorts of whacked symptoms (including GI related ones.)
Almost killed me. It did get a nearby neighbor and they didn't figure out what it was until he was in the ground.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Right.

So no hometown shoots near that neck of the desert
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#42]
WOOHOO!  A new 10'x20' lofted barn shed is being delivered tomorrow.  This one will be set up as a workshop, reloading room, and possible living quarters.  My trailer is starting to look like an episode of Hoarders!

I also, finally, got targets set up at 100 yards.  When my brother comes up from Tucson I'll volunteer him to help taking out a couple of trees (bushes) to get a 300 or 500 yard target set up.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Glad to hear you are doing better. I haven't been up to my place in almost a year.

Is your new "barn" coming from AZ Portable Buildings? I've been looking at the 12x24 cabin to replace my

old slide-in camper that's up there now.

Who did you get your cinders from?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Love the new range!

Keep the pic's and updates coming. Updates may seem boring or mundane to you but to us they are interesting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#45]
There's a new dealer in St. Johns.  He's the same guy I got the crushed basalt from.  The first shed I got was through Arizona Portable Buildings in Show Low, but the St. Johns dealer is within the 50 mile free delivery circle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#46]
My new shed/barn showed up last night.  The delivery driver was a MASTER at backing up a 40' trailer up my narrow, curvy driveway!  The job was done in about 20 minutes.  Now my work begins.  This one will become sleeping quarters, reloading room, ham shack, and cat house.  Of course, some of it will be storage.  It's double-lofted with 8' walls and studs 16" OC.  As long as I don't put plumbing in it, I don't need any permits.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#47]
This is such a cool undertaking. Thanks for keeping those of us who enjoy living vicariously informed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By seek2:

The critters are pack rats, and they're incredibly destructive. They get very large out there.
22 worthy targets.

Just FYI, having a place that's not too terribly far from you, there are coyotes around -- not
as many as below the rim, but they're out there, and they like cats in an unfriendly kind of way.
I haven't run into any other major predators besides coyotes.
View Quote
I have seen a badger.  Mothball the heck out of your vehicles because things will set up shop in them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By r0ttie1:
I have seen a badger.  Mothball the heck out of your vehicles because things will set up shop in them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By r0ttie1:
Originally Posted By seek2:

The critters are pack rats, and they're incredibly destructive. They get very large out there.
22 worthy targets.

Just FYI, having a place that's not too terribly far from you, there are coyotes around -- not
as many as below the rim, but they're out there, and they like cats in an unfriendly kind of way.
I haven't run into any other major predators besides coyotes.
I see coyotes just about every day and hear them every night.  My cat stays indoors unless he's in his harness.  I've also seen a few antelope and jackrabbits all over the place.  There are elk on thee ranch, but I haven't seen any yet.  I learned my lesson early about leaving the hood up on the vehicles to keep the pack rats and cotton tails out of the engine.  THEY FUCKING EAT EVERYTHING!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Very cool !!! Like others said , keep up with the updates !
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top