Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 12:09:02 PM EDT
So, i was at the range the other, shooting my cali-legal fixed 10-round mag when it had a double feed, and i started thinking to myself, hmm.. wouldnt it be nice to live in Arizona?

could you guys guide me to potential new places to live?

I am looking for somewhere i can;

-Shoot without complying with retarded gun laws
-ride my motorcycle (twisty roads in good conditon and a year-round season)
-some balance between year-round nice weather and not insane temperatures.
-enjoy nature
-not pay a fortune for rent (that'll be a hard one to find in comp. to cali, huh? :D )
-some place that has a college, and maybe some possibilities for pursuing a carreer in law enforcement / military.
-isnt too far away from civilization

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
20 views and no replys
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The questions you ask are classified.  We are also.....full.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
you might want to check Texas.  

we only accept illegal immigrants.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Mat-ar,

Recent history of people asking this question has been met with, well lets just say less than helpful answers.
I’m only a part time resident of Az but let me see if I can get you started.

Shoot without complying with retarded gun laws
No retarded gun laws here, there are many places to shoot in Az,  it is a great place to own guns

-ride my motorcycle (twisty roads in good condition and a year-round season)
great opportunities anyplace in Az

That basically means you need to live above 4000 ft or so if the heat is an issue, stay out of the Phoenix and Tucson  areas, but you will have to trade the heat for snow in winter. There is no year round perfect San Diego weather in Az.

-enjoy nature
Everywhere outside of the big cities

-not pay a fortune for rent (that'll be a hard one to find in comp. to cali, huh? :D )
Cant help you here, I own a home.

-some place that has a college, and maybe some possibilities for pursuing a career in law enforcement / military.
Prescott and Flagstaff have colleges and are not hot in the summer

-isn’t too far away from civilization
What’s your definition of civilization?

I’m in Prescott and think it is a perfect size town with a mild climate. Not too hot but it does get snow for a few days in the winter. Lots of state land and forest areas for outdoor activities. The people are friendly and not much of an illegal alien problem.  Has a good selection of stores and shops including some good gun stores. It’s a 90 minute drive to Phoenix if you want a big city.

I hope this helps some, hopefully the other Az members will chime in.

Rich V
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mat-ar,

Recent history of people asking this question has been met with, well lets just say less than helpful answers.

No retarded gun laws here, there are many places to shoot in Az,  it is a great place to own guns

That basically means you need to live above 4000 ft or so if the heat is an issue, stay out of the Phoenix and Tucson  areas, but you will have to trade the heat for snow in winter. There is no year round perfect San Diego weather in Az.

-enjoy nature

-some place that has a college, and maybe some possibilities for pursuing a career in law enforcement / military.

I’m in Prescott and think it is a perfect size town with a mild climate. Not too hot but it does get snow for a few days in the winter. Lots of state land and forest areas for outdoor activities. The people are friendly and not much of an illegal alien problem.  Has a good selection of stores and shops including some good gun stores. It’s a 90 minute drive to Phoenix if you want a big city.

Rich V

Excellent, thank you VERY much!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mat-ar,

-enjoy nature

Rich V

Excellent, thank you VERY much!

Small towns are Awesome!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
20 views and no replys

you need to figure out how to get freeride to answer you.....or Pang...both just moved from Ca to AZ...one to the phoenix area, one to flagstaff
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Rich V

I like Prescott (pres kit )
We looked at homes there.  Reasonable compared to here (so cal), good climate...(seasons can you believe it???) not too much snow tho (flagstaff has too much for us).  We toured the town talked to locals....even a few transplants from very near to us (one had been there over 20 yrs and got her mom to move there too), hung out at the mall and the hobby store...Colleges...one with a cert if gunsmithing even.  If you need something from a big store that isnt there....it is about 90min drive  to phoenix.  Easy and cheap to commute back to most of CA if necessary....either out of Prescotts airport or drive down to phoenix (or take the shuttle from Prescotts airport down to phoenix...which seemed to be the more popular approach...a few even put there guest on it).  For us it had all the pluses you think of with arizona (when you are in CA that is) but with out the heat of Phoenix and tucson.  No one in my family handles heat very well.

Unfortunately for us, our medical insurance Co doesnt practice in AZ and due to preexistings we are unable to get decent/reasonable coverage in AZ....  

<sigh> I still look from time to time.  

Window cam and pic of the city
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I got your back Mrsdrfrige.

Quoted:
Mat-ar,

-enjoy nature
south mountain is a municipal park inside phoenix it has 60 miles of trails and is like the second largest municipal park in the US/world best

Rich V

that pretty much sums it up.  I moved here sept 29, 2005 from orange county.  Im in mesa, but what you want is gonna be in flagstaff area or prescott... or just get used to the heat.

I can say this for a FACT
Arizona is one of the national treasures when it comes to nature(sierra nevadas are still #1 in my book).  All 7 climates are represented in this state via the 3 major areas.. the colorado plateau, transition zone, and the desert.  but down in that area you get the sky islands(mountain ranges in south eastern AZ) which are where the temperate zone and sub tropical zones meet... that means we gots jaguars in AZ... i learned that 2 weeks ago.

www.hikearizona.com gotta sign up(free) but BEST hiking website ever for a state.

oh yeah.. I open carry, never been bothered.

I LOVE it here!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

........-enjoy nature

Due to all the ASSWADS moving here in the recent years, that's getting much harder to do!

Try CLEVELAND, Buddy.  As stated..  WE ARE FULL!

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich V

I like Prescott (pres kit )
We looked at homes there.  Reasonable compared to here (so cal), good climate...(seasons can you believe it???) not too much snow tho (flagstaff has too much for us).  We toured the town talked to locals....even a few transplants from very near to us (one had been there over 20 yrs and got her mom to move there too), hung out at the mall and the hobby store...Colleges...one with a cert if gunsmithing even.  If you need something from a big store that isnt there....it is about 90min drive  to phoenix.  Easy and cheap to commute back to most of CA if necessary....either out of Prescotts airport or drive down to phoenix (or take the shuttle from Prescotts airport down to phoenix...which seemed to be the more popular approach...a few even put there guest on it).  For us it had all the pluses you think of with arizona (when you are in CA that is) but with out the heat of Phoenix and tucson.  No one in my family handles heat very well.

Unfortunately for us, our medical insurance Co doesnt practice in AZ and due to preexistings we are unable to get decent/reasonable coverage in AZ....  

<sigh> I still look from time to time.  

Window cam and pic of the city

My wife and I fell in love with Prescott from day 1. The town center has that Mayberry feel to it. On our second day in town we were talking to a retired Phoenix high school teacher who was selling southwestern artwork in front of the court house. We mentioned we were house hunting and he offered to have us come see his new home and then introduce us to the builder, he even offered to drive us around! Now that is Az hospitality at its best!
Did you see the beautiful collection of Victorian homes on Mount Vernon Ave?
Some of the best preserved Victorians I’ve seen anywhere, I understand they close down the street for Halloween trick or treating.
For now Prescott is our home away from home but we are both looking to the day we retire and make it our real home.

Rich V
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:52:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

........-enjoy nature

Due to all the ASSWADS moving here in the recent years, that's getting much harder to do!

Try CLEVELAND, Buddy.  As stated..  WE ARE FULL!

It never ceases to amaze me how some of the posters on this forum are full of piss and vinegar. I know from personal experience that this is not the norm in Az but it sure does seem we have collected some of the worst sandy mangina Az residents here. If all you have is resentment and anger for others please go some where else to dump your xenophobic shit!
Rich V

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
As a 28 year resident of Prescott I can honestly say "I LOVE it here!!!".

Yeah, for a couple of week during the summer it gets hot - and for a couple of weeks during the winter it gets cold, but the rest of the time it's wonderful.

Not to far to drive to PHX or FLG.  But I have no reason to travel much outside of PRC anyway.

I also ride a motorcycle and usually can do so almost every month of the year.  The twisty highway 89A through Jerome and Oak Creek Canyon and up to FLG is a great ride.

PRC has a couple of junior colleges and also Embry Riddle college.

Housing isn't exactly inexpensive but it's not outrageously priced either.... I had my house built 9 years ago - nothing special, 1500sqft $153K back then.

Being close to the Prescott National Forest, it is very easy to go out and find any sort of shooting area that you deem acceptable for your type of shooting.

Give Prescott a look-see...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It never ceases to amaze me how some of the posters on this forum are full of piss and vinegar. I know from personal experience that this is not the norm in Az but it sure does seem we have collected some of the worst sandy mangina Az residents here. If all you have is resentment and anger for others please go some where else to dump your xenophobic shit!
Rich V

And how long have you lived in Arizona?  How many years have you watched the unskilled fools from Ohiowa move here and drive the quality of life and wages DOWN?

How many shooting spots have you seen get gobbled up to build homes for more Morons to live here so they can CLOG up our freeways?

How many stadiums have you watched the SAME MORONS get duped into paying for with tax dollars so Morons can go watch losing athletic teams perform poorly?

How many agricultural facilities have you seen forced out because some selfish SHIT FOR BRAINS idiot moved in next door only to complain about the smell?

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Mark

Any place you go in the USA there are these problems, it’s not just in your backyard.
When I fly into Sky Harbor Airport I can see how Phoenix is growing out of control, hell it almost looks like LA! Yes I know you are fighting a loosing battle but what does that have to do with the constant bitching “we’re full stay out” to fellow board members?  Do you really think this will have any effect on the problem? All you are doing is pissing and moaning to people who if they did move to Az will be on your side. Stopping the invasion of illegals and land speculators should be the goal. This has to be done at the local level and will ultimately take votes to be successful. You can’t hold back the tide and you have every right to be angry over it but damn guy you need to lighten up on those who are on your side and focus that anger where there is a chance of doing some good.

Rich V
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich V

And how long have you lived in Arizona?  How many years have you watched the unskilled fools from Ohiowa move here and drive the quality of life and wages DOWN?

How many shooting spots have you seen get gobbled up to build homes for more Morons to live here so they can CLOG up our freeways?

How many stadiums have you watched the SAME MORONS get duped into paying for with tax dollars so Morons can go watch losing athletic teams perform poorly?

How many agricultural facilities have you seen forced out because some selfish SHIT FOR BRAINS idiot moved in next door only to complain about the smell?

If you are concerned about negative immigration i suggest you turn your head south and keep guarding that side of your state border a little while instead. I am an american tax paying citizen, i am born here. I have as much right to travel and live anywhere in the country as you do.

to the rest of you: Thank you so much for your replys and help!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As a 28 year resident of Prescott I can honestly say "I LOVE it here!!!".

Yeah, for a couple of week during the summer it gets hot - and for a couple of weeks during the winter it gets cold, but the rest of the time it's wonderful.

Not to far to drive to PHX or FLG.  But I have no reason to travel much outside of PRC anyway.

I also ride a motorcycle and usually can do so almost every month of the year.  The twisty highway 89A through Jerome and Oak Creek Canyon and up to FLG is a great ride.

PRC has a couple of junior colleges and also Embry Riddle college.

Housing isn't exactly inexpensive but it's not outrageously priced either.... I had my house built 9 years ago - nothing special, 1500sqft $153K back then.

Being close to the Prescott National Forest, it is very easy to go out and find any sort of shooting area that you deem acceptable for your type of shooting.

Give Prescott a look-see...

AZ_Sky

Where do you usually go to shoot. I know that most national forest areas are OK but I would rather go to someplace already used for shooting instead of shooting up virgin forest land. I’m over in Williamson Valley close to the intersection of Williamson Valley road and road 2 south.

Rich V
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

AZ_Sky

Where do you usually go to shoot. I know that most national forest areas are OK but I would rather go to someplace already used for shooting instead of shooting up virgin forest land. I’m over in Williamson Valley close to the intersection of Williamson Valley road and road 2 south.

Rich V

I normally drive through Chino Valley then out Perkinsville Road about 11 miles or so to forest service road 163 or a few more miles to forest service road 164.  Right off forest service road 163 about 1/4 mile is an area that a lot of people seem to use for plinking (need a high ground clearance vehicle for the first hundred yards or so).

If I want to camp or want more privacy I continue down 163 for about 2 miles and choose one of the finger valleys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AZ_Sky

Rich V

I normally drive through Chino Valley then out Perkinsville Road about 11 miles or so to forest service road 163 or a few more miles to forest service road 164.  Right off forest service road 163 about 1/4 mile is an area that a lot of people seem to use for plinking (need a high ground clearance vehicle for the first hundred yards or so).

If I want to camp or want more privacy I continue down 163 for about 2 miles and choose one of the finger valleys.

Thanks AZ_Sky, I'll check it out next time I'm in Prescott.
Rich V
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top