Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2017 10:20:54 AM EDT
Curious about where the parking is at the Air and Space Museum... I know that carrying onto the AFB is a no-go and I hope to park and lock my CCW in the truck while visiting with my kids.

Is the parking for the museum on or off the base proper?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
There is parking on the base at the front door to the Museum.

Edit - My mistake, always thought it was considered on base.  I do know that I would stop by a few times a year before (not after) I would go to AIM to pick up guns and ammo orders. Didn't want any drama if I showed up with those things
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Curious about where the parking is at the Air and Space Museum... I know that carrying onto the AFB is a no-go and I hope to park and lock my CCW in the truck while visiting with my kids.

View Quote
Th parking for the Museum is not on the actual AFB.. its just adjacent to it but separate of the actual base if that makes any sense... in other words you do not have to enter thru a check point
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Th parking for the Museum is not on the actual AFB.. its just adjacent to it but separate of the actual base if that makes any sense... in other words you do not have to enter thru a check point
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. No security to pull into the parking area. There's a security checkpoint inside museum. I had a Kershaw Chive with me that I forgot to leave in the car, they let me in anyway  
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for the info, been several years since I last went and I couldn't remember what I did with my carry gun that day... guess I left it in the car.

Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are talking about the National Museum of the US Air Force it is on WPAFB. There is not a security checkpoint to enter the base at the gate but it is on base property. At one point there was a sign on the fence as you enter the base that listed the prohibition on guns.  I don't remember if the sign was there my last trip. I always  leave the gun at home if I am going to the museum.

The parking is most defiantly on the base. Take a look at it on Google maps.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are talking about the National Museum of the US Air Force it is on WPAFB. There is not a security checkpoint to enter the base at the gate but it is on base property. At one point there was a sign on the fence as you enter the base that listed the prohibition on guns.  I don't remember if the sign was there my last trip. I always  leave the gun at home if I am going to the museum.

The parking is most defiantly on the base. Take a look at it on Google maps.
View Quote

Look a little closer you will see the 10 foot fence around it
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You is inside the fence via open gate at museum on base property... parking is beside museum.  If you left the main museum property and took off towards building in the distance,, then you may have problems with base security folks
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Already been stated but I visit a few times a year, you can carry to the parking lot and lock it in your car. No knife longer than 2.5"
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
There are metal detectors at the doors to the museum and MPs check backpacks.

Don't forget to get some astronaut ice cream in the gift shop. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess it's been a lot longer since I've been there than I thought. The only security was seasoned citizen volunteers manning the information desk.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
my understanding is the museum is on federal property (includes the parking lot), ...i.e. "gun free zone"...  

i think there is a small-ish lot directly across the street (springfield st.) where the museum entrance is, ...over by some houses, ...also a hotel over on that side as well, could probably park and lock up there, and walk across the street and in through the museum entrance (...might be a slightly long walk...)
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The set up sounds like the Patton Museum at FT Knox. Private parking next to the facility.

Thanks for the info, planning on hitting the Air and Space Museum in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Metal detectors at the entrance. The first day the dude ask if I had a knife. I said no, went thru the detector it buzzed he said go ahead.
The second day different dude asks about gun, knifes or any thing else. I said no, went thru the detector it buzzed he said go ahead.

I saw no signs prohibiting leaving knives and my pistol locked in the truck in the parking lot.

The museum is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! If you just look at stuff you might make it through all four buildings in one day.
If you read and take time to understand the displays figure two days.

Free parking
Free admission
Free use of mobility scooters (if needed)

No outside food or water allowed. Water fountains and restrooms are all over the place.
Eat at the café between buildings 1&2 much more choices.

It is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad you had a good time. It's definitely a national treasure.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top