Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2017 7:07:51 PM EDT
Wife got a speed camera ticket in East Cleveland.  $95.00!  I thought the Supreme Court had ruled that camera tickets were invalid.  Anyone know the current status?  I'm inclined to pay it just because I don't want any trouble but I thought this had been shut down.

Update: Received this e-mail:

"Dear Mr. Xxxxxx,

I am following up on your concern regarding speed camera tickets.  I talked to our legal counsel at the statehouse who said that issuing tickets based on speed cameras is legal within Ohio.  Please let me know if you need any additional assistance or have any further questions.  I can be reached at [email protected] or (614)-466-4857.

Thank you,
Moriah

Moriah Lieberman I LSC Fellow
Senator Sandra Williams, 21st District
P: 614.466.4857
[email protected]"

Now, she did not mention the need to have an officer present or anything like that so the answer is still kind of vague.

But, whatever, I paid it.  

FYI: If you pay on-line with a credit card the billing agency tacks on a $4 "convenience fee" and the charges come out of Mesa, AZ.  

ETA: Which set off alarms at my bank's fraud department so they sent me an e-mail threatening to lock my card if I didn't call and resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question!  I asked the same about a red light camera ticket when I lived in CA and found out I could ignore the $500 fine.  I did.  

I'm interested to hear the answer as I've been in Cleveland a few times already and will likely be there more.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as a cop is stationed at the camera location, it's legal. I seem to recall at least red light camera violations were not a ticket in the legal sense, but a fine paid to a private company that would go to collections if not paid, but you wouldn't be in legal trouble.

I don't know if the same goes for speed cameras. There was a thread about this a few months back and someone linked to a letter you can send to dispute the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
got a $145 in toledo on i-75, i thought it was banned - but a cop was present at the overpass...no points, just want the money 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
As stated, still legal so long as an officer is present with the camera.  What I've been seeing around the Youngstown area is the officer will park his car on a side street and walk out onto an overpass with the handheld camera, spotting the freeway below.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on a recent experience I know the cameras are allowed as long as they are manned by an official. I don't think that person has to be a full blown LEO.
It's also a non points violation. It's just a money grab.
Communities are coping the city of Hamilton and their camera rigs. Hamilton positions a car rigged with multiple cameras and computers and basically processes a ticket on the spot through a private company. These rigs can catch cars from 4 directions coming and going.
I suspect there is some serious revenue sharing going on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me guess, Superior and Coventry? 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Precisely.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Civil Forfeiture, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Laser jammer
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad our politicians don't remember the mean value theorem from high school, otherwise our turnpike fees would have speeding fines automatically added into them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Precisely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Precisely.
I got a "Warning" from that camera who it was in it's 90 day probationary period. In the picture, you can see my brake lights on and a big cloud of exhaust from me waiting for the light to change.....

They still said I didn't stop.

I did however get two camera tickets that I DID NOT pay.....well, the wife got one in Parma,  and I had a speeder on Carnegie at E.30th. The Parma one, I just ignored and they stopped sending letters. The Cleveland one tried to intimidate me into paying, I just ignored them and they stopped too. I had no issues renewing my plates either.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Newburgh Heights, a Cleveland suburb with less than a mile of I77 running thru it between Harvard and Fleet Avenues, hired additional policemen to baby sit their speed cameras.  Even with the additional labor cost of part-time policemen added to the camera lease these cameras remain cash cows.  They're not interested in stopping speeding or they'd have visible police cars.  Only interested in the revenue.  Laser will hit you from behind as you go under Harvard northbound or Fleet southbound.  Little warning if you're not paying close attention.

-- Chuck
View Quote
Those assholes will also zap you and have a chase car on the entrance ramp. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As long as a cop is stationed at the camera location, it's legal. I seem to recall at least red light camera violations were not a ticket in the legal sense, but a fine paid to a private company that would go to collections if not paid, but you wouldn't be in legal trouble.

I don't know if the same goes for speed cameras. There was a thread about this a few months back and someone linked to a letter you can send to dispute the ticket.
View Quote
Any one able to produce said link
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]
We fought cameras in Toledo and lost. Your ticket from a speed/redlight cam (ours are both) will not result in points or court but you will be turned into collections for non payment. No cop need be present

With these, I believe it is the same rule - and the cops are present. Tickets are issued by the same company that owns the intersection ones

http://www.wtol.com/story/31725301/tpd-sees-success-issues-tickets-with-new-speed-gun

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I know this is an old post, but it's going to get much worse. The Ohio Supreme Court just ruled this summer to remove the officer presence requirement, along with a couple other requirements.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Google pulled up this thread but I can't find the one from before with the fella offering to send PM's out about the whole BS law.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Google pulled up this thread but I can't find the one from before with the fella offering to send PM's out about the whole BS law.
View Quote
It is Racscan

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_12/609116_Speeding-Ticket-Legal-Advice-Needed.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#19]
thank you!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top