User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If it lasted for 2 and a half months we wouldnt have any deer left. Per square mile of woods we have more hunters than they do. Thats just my opinion tho. If I am wrong on that please correct me in a non douchebag way.

No, it wouldn't mean that at all.  What matters is the number of deer taken per hunter per season.  And that figure is controlled by how many tags a hunter is allowed to obtain, not by how many days the season has.

ODOW gets paid to figure out those management issues.  We have to put the right pressure on them to.

Let me ask you this.  If Ohio gun hunters could take the same TOTAL number of deer in a season, but they had two months instead of a week to do it, don't you think that the hunting experience would be safer AND more relaxing?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it lasted for 2 and a half months we wouldnt have any deer left. Per square mile of woods we have more hunters than they do. Thats just my opinion tho. If I am wrong on that please correct me in a non douchebag way.

No, it wouldn't mean that at all.  What matters is the number of deer taken per hunter per season.  And that figure is controlled by how many tags a hunter is allowed to obtain, not by how many days the season has.

ODOW gets paid to figure out those management issues.  We have to put the right pressure on them to.

Let me ask you this.  If Ohio gun hunters could take the same TOTAL number of deer in a season, but they had two months instead of a week to do it, don't you think that the hunting experience would be safer AND more relaxing?

I agree, the one week of gun season is absolute caos. Everybody is rushed to get in the woods and shoot their deer before the season is up. As a result we have millions of hunters in the woods at the same time taking pot shots thinking it might be there only chance at a deer that year.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
 +1  

I dont have much to add to that other than TRAINING!  Oh I already said that..........well someone has to beat that drum.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
[

I agree with you to an extent.  If the Season was spread over two weeks or two months whatever then more deer would be killed.  I have purchased a deer tag every year for as long as I can remember.  I sometimes get to hunt.  Sometimes I don't. My schedule is real screwy.  So some years I don't even have the time to get a deer.  If I had two months to do it I am sure I would get one.  So would others who have similar problems making it to the woods.  I am sure ODNR has taken into account a certain percentage of hunters not getting a kill.  I fear we would eventually have an overkill and hurt the populations.  Then fewer licenses would be issued.

Would I like to see it spread over two months?  Sure, all of Craig's Bubba Walmarts would be done by week one and I could go safely hunt with my family.  I just think we would ever see it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Another aspect of this would be the effect on buisness around here many companies are short handed and production drops due to all of the hunters who take their vacation or comp time in order to go hunting. In the residential construction industry up here you can just about forget about getting things done during deer gun season. All you can do is hope your guys get their deer early.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

I agree with you to an extent.  If the Season was spread over two weeks or two months whatever then more deer would be killed.  I have purchased a deer tag every year for as long as I can remember.  I sometimes get to hunt.  Sometimes I don't. My schedule is real screwy.  So some years I don't even have the time to get a deer.  If I had two months to do it I am sure I would get one.  So would others who have similar problems making it to the woods.  I am sure ODNR has taken into account a certain percentage of hunters not getting a kill.  I fear we would eventually have an overkill and hurt the populations.  Then fewer licenses would be issued.

Would I like to see it spread over two months?  Sure, all of Craig's Bubba Walmarts would be done by week one and I could go safely hunt with my family.  I just think we would ever see it!

It might work that way, then again it might not.  Fear that the number of tags will go down if hunter success rates go up due to the season being longer is not a good enough reason to continue with the crazy-ass situation we are in now.

It is at least worth a try for two or three years to get meaningful data for analysis.  That is what ODNR should be doing, as their job is supposed to be wildlife management.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the season the way it is. If you want to hunt deer longer, buy a bow. Ohio allows crossbows, and thats as close to a gun as you need for deer, and the season lasts 4 months. Personally, i like it that not everyone gets a deer during gun week. Makes the bag limit higher for those of us that actually know how to hunt. Also, it INCREASES THE DOE HARVEST, which is what you need to have big bucks. Thats why Ohio is one of the premier big buck states. The ODNR may have some faults, but the deer season is not one of them.......it's a model of success. Want to see how bad a dnr can screw up a deer season.....visit PA or WV, and see how many nice deer come from there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
You make a very good point. Notice Muskingum and Licking countys, I have seen more nice deer from these countys than most others. And it would make sense from what you said. High doe harvest. There are more deer harvested in these countys than most others. I know Noble and Gernsey are up there as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree that we should be able to use pistol calibers in Ohio. But Would also agree that if you own your own land (10+ acres) then you should be allowed to hunt with a rifle.  This could be enforced in more densly wooded areas like zones 2 & 3. The round that I use in my shotgun has more in common with a 45-70 than a shotgun slug. I hunt on my parents land down in Tusc. and I cannot begin to tell you how many rifle shots I hear during the week and well after dark (spot lighting). I know for a fact that the caretaker of the 30 acre parcel of land down the road from where I hunt uses a .270 before the shotgun season, during the shotgun season and during the primitive weapon season. You are always going to have to deal with " bubba the redneck" while out in the woods, but the idea of a rifle being unsafe in the hands of "bubba the redneck" is almost as elitist as the the arguments by the gun grabbers regarding "assault rifles" in the hands of the general public. I think that extending the season out to 2 or even 3 weeks would also make a difference in the safety factor but you would still have the crowds out on the fisrt day and on the weekends.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I agree that we should be able to use pistol calibers in Ohio. But Would also agree that if you own your own land (10+ acres) then you should be allowed to hunt with a rifle.  This could be enforced in more densly wooded areas like zones 2 & 3. The round that I use in my shotgun has more in common with a 45-70 than a shotgun slug. I hunt on my parents land down in Tusc. and I cannot begin to tell you how many rifle shots I hear during the week and well after dark (spot lighting). I know for a fact that the caretaker of the 30 acre parcel of land down the road from where I hunt uses a .270 before the shotgun season, during the shotgun season and during the primitive weapon season. You are always going to have to deal with " bubba the redneck" while out in the woods, but the idea of a rifle being unsafe in the hands of "bubba the redneck" is almost as elitist as the the arguments by the gun grabbers regarding "assault rifles" in the hands of the general public. I think that extending the season out to 2 or even 3 weeks would also make a difference in the safety factor but you would still have the crowds out on the fisrt day and on the weekends.

Good argument.

Don't forget the "if you want a longer season get a bow" elitists.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top