User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm a fellow BCR and friend of Eddie and Randy (and Hal) who was asking about bringing a 50 bmg. It is an accurate Iver Johnson AMAC 5100 bolt gun and the ammo is spotter tracer rounds. It won't do much good to bring it though if there isn't something made of hard steel to shoot at. It needs a hard surface to detonate the spotters. An engine block or a big anvil would be ideal! :-) No big deal if you think I shouldn't bring it because it is unsafe. I shoot it plenty as it is. I just need to know before soon so I'm not lugging it up there for no reason. It's rather heavy at 36 lbs!
I hope I can make it Sunday. It sounds like it will be a good time. I'm not a regular to this board, but I have met and talked via email with a few of you before. Oh, and I met "Lumpy223" at the Snodes shoot, FWIW.

Cincylance

I hope you can make it as Im sure youd enjoy yourself. Id say go ahead and bring your rifle. Give us some ideas of something we could bring to set up in front of the berm to shoot at. I work in a small die shop and have access to steel.

At millers the shooter is responsable for safety as there are no RO's. Basic firearms safety and common sense have worked so far. IF anything Id like to see this rifle
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you think the owner would feel about me bringing a washing machine as a target?  Would he want it hauled back out of there or could I leave it for others?  Would anybody else have a way to dispose of it when we're done?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring the washing machine. If Tim doesnt want it left there I'll take care of it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an annoying liberal neighbor who lives down the road. Keeps putting Kerry signs up. Was thinking of bringing him. He's biodegradable, in case it matters. No clean-up required.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have an annoying liberal neighbor who lives down the road. Keeps putting Kerry signs up. Was thinking of bringing him. He's biodegradable, in case it matters. No clean-up required.

Hell, at least bring some of his signs.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bring the washing machine. If Tim doesnt want it left there I'll take care of it.

Consider it done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 4cyl Toyota shortblck that been siitting at garage door for 2+ yr.

Problem for me is I will be at river saturday, and have to come back north for sunday..
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Something like an engine block or a plate of steel at least 1/4" thick would work well. It would have to be big enough to hit at 100 yards (probably minimum of 2 feet in diameter would be enough, bigger if possible.) We would also need something to help stand it up or lean it against. Spotter tracers are very impressive when they hit a hard target.

Thoughts please.
Cincylance

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Would 1/4" be ideal? Im not familiar with a spotter tracer but I would imagine we'd want a soft steel such that it would absorb the bullet and not ricochet. I'll check tonight and see what we have . Would a target as bulky as an engine block be safe as far a ricochets go?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, probably a softer steel to prevent ricochets. I'm thinking an engine block on it's side would be OK. The bullets would probably go through the first layer, but not all of the way through. That's just a guess. They might easily go clean through the block. From what I understand, 50 spotter tracer projectiles are mostly hollow with about 1/2" of solid material in the middle. The front contains phosphorus and a primer and the back contains the tracer compound. Because of this, I don't think penetration will be as good as FMJ rounds and definitely nothing like AP rounds.

FWIW, my normal target for this rifle is a large mixing drum from the back of a concrete truck. The bigger end has heavier steel. In some spots it is probably 1/2" thick. Spotters make a helluva flash when they hit that area and not as much when they hit the small end.

Cincylance

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
May have a 1919 FA coming maybe.... we'll see.

When we doing a yard prep?  Saturday is out for me...  Thursday or Friday  evening??
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
May have a 1919 FA coming maybe.... we'll see.

When we doing a yard prep?  Saturday is out for me...  Thursday or Friday  evening??

Im in for friday after 5 and maybe saturday if need be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I should be there, with any luck  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
OK----- I got mail from a FFL/SOT who is looking to show-up... lets be on our best and make this a fun informal shoot for everybody.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK----- I got mail from a FFL/SOT who is looking to show-up... lets be on our best and make this a fun informal shoot for everybody.

what's SOT?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's SOT?

IIRC, SOT stands for Special Occupational Tax, a Class III dealer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#18]
time??

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
time??

It's 1:55 am right now.

Oh wait, you mean for Miller's!?

I'll be there around 10:00 or 11:00, depending on when I get my butt in gear.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I've told the Makarov crew 10:00 give or take an hour.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
time??

It's 1:55 am right now.

Oh wait, you mean for Miller's!?

I'll be there around 10:00 or 11:00, depending on when I get my butt in gear.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#22]
would anyone be up for a mini gun swap meet while at millers ??? if so , bring what you have to sell / trade!..... I know i will bring a pistol to sell or trade, if anyone is interested..

COLT!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey Johnny McEldoo and SBR7_11...

Did you locate some metal targets for the 50? Engine block, 1/4" sheet steel, etc?
This rifle is too heavy to haul around if I ain't gonna be able to shoot it. If we won't have a target it's no big deal. I just need to know so I will know whether or not to bring it.

Thanks,
Cincylance
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
The engine block is still sitting at the garage door.....  Brian did not have any nice scrap. Do have another FAX-Copier to shoot up.  Also have some 5 gallon heavy plastic containers I got, (2) gallon of METHANOL and (1) gallon of Isopropyl alcohol-Hexane (brake clean).

I drove wife car to work with lawnmower in trunk,  Brian and I met there about 6pm, and mowed down a nice area as low as the mowers would go, like we had for Memorial Day shoot, maybe a little bigger.  Looks nice, though property owner did a nice job of cutting the lawn initially.

Lance, the only lugging you would do is from the house to the car, and right out of the car onto the line, no walking or hoofing, we don't do that there. back you vehicle up to your spot and shoot.

If anybody passing through/by  Troy  wants to grab the block, it is sitting here, need 2 people though..  I will check "IM" in the morning (9-4-2004), as we are leaving for Ohio River, So  I will not have PC access after 0800.

EDIT---> 0900, we are leaving.  If somebody want to stop and grab it, it is at 920 Linwood Dr, Troy. 45373.  Do a map search to get here, just a few minutes from the Troy Public Square.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I will also be bringing that washing machine for us to destroy and Brian to haul off!  

I wish I had been thinking, as I just threw away some old rotors from my truck a few weeks back.  Those would have made some pretty handy fodder for the .50
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Stopped by out there today on my way to Cincinnati and damn it looks nice.  Having the whole place mowed then the firingline cut short looked very nice.   Like driving across a park.  If weather is like it was today will be a good one even if I have to leave at noon
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Stopped by out there today on my way to Cincinnati and damn it looks nice.  Having the whole place mowed then the firingline cut short looked very nice.   Like driving across a park.  If weather is like it was today will be a good one even if I have to leave at noon

Noon! You gotta stay longer than that! I probably wont show up till 12.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Well gang, the washer won't be making an appearance after all.  I don't have access to a dolly and that damn thing is too heavy for the wife and I to get out of the basement.

We'll have to make due with three cases of pop, a computer, and a bunch of hard drives.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Noon! You gotta stay longer than that! I probably wont show up till 12.

and how late will you be there??

if i come, it wont be until late afternoon
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#30]
leaving now and plan to stay all day
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#31]
What a blast!

You guys better get some more practice on them clays for the next shoot. Talked to my doctor today and he says I should get 50% restored vision in my right eye by october when he takes the titanium support plate out of my wrist. He nearly had a stroke when I told him I was shooting clay pigeons. He said most men are bedridden for months with my injurys.

Glimmerman, you just keep practicing and your bound to get the hang of it. I know coltsnipers wife picked it up quicker than you did but not everyone picks it up as fast. You just need to pace yourself more and sooner or later you'll be able to hit pigeons too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Had a great time. Hit a deer on the way home Will post pix later
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#33]
sorry i missed most of you guys

here are paul's (AW4EVER) pix
the firing line

JME, red-leg, swingset, leisure shoot
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for a great day at the range, folks.   A pleasure to meet all of you and I had a blast (pun intended)!

See the pix I took  here:

Labor Day Weekend 2004

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like everyone had alot of fun....Maybe next time I can make it ..Have you guys planned
the next shoot yet ????  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Had a great time as usual, even tho my fancy Turkish shotgun performed like, well, a Turkish shotgun.

Was a great weekend all around. Glad to meet some new folks, the shooting gets bigger every time! We're going to outgrow Millers if we're not careful. I guess if we run short of space we can form a huge circle around the berm and shoot into it.

Wait a sec....that won't work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Looks like everyone had alot of fun....Maybe next time I can make it ..Have you guys planned
the next shoot yet ????  

ssshhh!
we need a break for a couple weeks to reload/re-order.

There's rumor of an Oktobershut.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Yea, I need time to reload some brass case ammo.  Those WOLF reloads and dirty uppers kept sticking cases there at the end when I was trying to ditch the last of the ammo can.

Need to get sis to pick up at Pats this week....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top