Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 8:28:44 PM EDT
shipping a Bushy CA registered AW (pre 2000) out of state to get it re-anodized. Can it be done, if so what papers do I need ?

I wanna ship it to those guys:

www.usanodizing.com/
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I know for normal handguns and longguns that you can ship them direct to the refinisher/licensed dealer/similar without any papers..

IIRC, AWs need to be shipped out by an AW dealer, and received back in the same manner.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
the cheapest quote i got for to and from shipping from an aw dealer was $150 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Self edited for advocating illegal actions
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lots and lots of people have done it directly without a problem.  Not me of course! YMMV

Geezus, why do you give out this terrible "it's illegal but you might not get caught" advice?  
That's an EASY 12280(a) illegal transport violation - a FELONY.  

I can just see the rifle getting lost, and its numbers getting run, and then the shipping addresses don't show an AW FFL anywhere...

The only way to ship an AW (legal, registered) CA is to
 (1) use a CA FFL that also holds an AW permit;  
... or...
 (2) drive it out of state and then ship from there and receive it back there,
       and then drive it back into CA yourself.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lots and lots of people have done it directly without a problem.  Not me of course! YMMV

Geezus, why do you give out this terrible "it's illegal but you might not get caught" advice?  
That's an EASY 12280(a) illegal transport violation - a FELONY.  

I can just see the rifle getting lost, and its numbers getting run, and then the shipping addresses don't show an AW FFL anywhere...

The only way to ship an AW (legal, registered) CA is to
 (1) use a CA FFL that also holds an AW permit;  
... or...
 (2) drive it out of state and then ship from there and receive it back there,
       and then drive it back into CA yourself.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

You're right and I guess this is probably the wrong time to be messing around with CA laws.  It just pisses me off that we're stuck following such ridiculous nonsense.  Previous post edited.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
How about sending the upper and other parts along with a non-listed receiver.

Oh sure the listed lower won't look right but for parties you could display it with the non-listed receiver (with pinned mag)

If you ever cross the boarder to freedom, ship it from there.  Maybe have them ship back to a gun store and pick it up later.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. It's too much of a hassle so I'm gonna buy their refinishing kit and do it myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top