Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 5:17:05 PM EDT
If I have had a lower that was transfered to me awhile ago and it becomes illegal such as stag arms etc, and on the registration card it asks who the dealer was to dros the firearm and I can't remember what would I put?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
How could you forget?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If I have had a lower that was transfered to me awhile ago and it becomes illegal such as stag arms etc, and on the registration card it asks who the dealer was to dros the firearm and I can't remember what would I put?

Check your safe deposit box for the sales receipt the dealer gave you for the DROS fees. thats what i would do.
You mean everyone doesnt keep their receipts for purchases as important as firearms?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check your safe deposit box for the sales receipt the dealer gave you for the DROS fees. thats what i would do.

You mean everyone doesnt keep their receipts for purchases as important as firearms?

Not all legal firearms transactions require receipts, or have to go through dealers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all legal firearms transactions require receipts, or have to go through dealers.

True.  But AR15 lowers are not C&R's.  Hell even if buying a C&R I ask for a written receipt from the seller that includes the sellers contact info and a signed statement that the gun is not stolen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

True.  But AR15 lowers are not C&R's.  Hell even if buying a C&R I ask for a written receipt from the seller that includes the sellers contact info and a signed statement that the gun is not stolen.

There are other transaction types besides C&R that would require no FFL transfer or DROS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The key things for any possible CA AW registration are YOUR details (name/addr/CDL or ID#) and the gun's details (make, model, serial#).

The other information (dealer, caliber, etc.) is supplementary.  Answer it as best possible.  If you don't remember if it was Joe's Guns but you know it was in, say, Fresno, mark dealer as unknown but in Fresno CA.  

If they need more info they will request it; if you respond within 2 weeks it will not prejudice your registration.  They've probably seen this before, anyways.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are other transaction types besides C&R that would require no FFL transfer or DROS.

Iin CA? What kind of modern firearm sale in CA does not require the services of an FFL?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iin CA? What kind of modern firearm sale in CA does not require the services of an FFL?

I don't think I mentioned anything about a sale. If it is a long arm, according to section 12078(I think thats it), it can be inherited,  or transferred between immediate family(including spouses), without requiring an FFL to handle the transfer. This is even mentioned in the DOJ Firearms division FAQ.

ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#9]
DOH! Didn't even think about that

But you'd think he would remember if he got from a relative, wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it was recieved by a parent who got it because he was a good friend with a  FFL that believed him about the law, before all of this new information and the dealer didn't want his name and business just given out. Maybe he figured if the DOJ really wanted it they could find it themselve?

Or maybe the so called parent buys a lot of guns and has bought a lot of them from various dealers and doesn't keep any of the reciepts from his purchases?

I don't know this was just a hypothetical question I guess I should have posted that.

Thanks for all the information thoigh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top