Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 9:07:34 AM EDT
Had to do a favor for a Army buddy and drove him down to the San Diego airport...
Came through a little late  saw the flash of light, my question is I have no front license plate (illegal in CA) but will this make it so they cannot get a plate number or do they take pics of the front and rear?

also I remember there was a upstir about these cameras are they still working?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Donno about SD but these are alive and working LA/Hollywood etc...

The ones up here take 4 shots....One even is clear enough to tell WHO is driving....

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Donno about SD but these are alive and working LA/Hollywood etc...

The ones up here take 4 shots....One even is clear enough to tell WHO is driving....

Good luck.  

from the front or rear?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]

from the front or rear?

both

you can find a lot of useful info here:

highwayrobbery.net/index.htm
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The systems (Hughes) I worked on (program manager for installations teams and maintenance contract bids) worked on rear plates because many places don't need/require front plate.  So it depends on which system.  These were primarily used in toll collection systems.  I also suggested that we use Mavericks for discouraging second violations.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
well san diego does do both plates, looks like i might be screwed  Fucking bullshit nanny state!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
There was a news story a couple weeks ago about how the LA ones have been off since like June. Something about the original contract  of who runs them is up and the city was in a bidding war and so no one was actually running the system. They said the Hollywood ones were still working, along with the other major cities that had them.

Haven't heard of many people getting tickets for them though, so who knows.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
supposedly there are no points against u with the red light cameras ? is this true?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Were you turning left from Harbor Drive onto Grape Street?

I got nailed there back in May.  Flash, flash, flash.  Never got anything in the mail.

They shorten the time for the yellow lights at the camera intersections.  Pisses me off.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Were you turning left from Harbor Drive onto Grape Street?

I got nailed there back in May.  Flash, flash, flash.  Never got anything in the mail.

They shorten the time for the yellow lights at the camera intersections.  Pisses me off.

exactly
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The Fullerton cameras are apparently off-line, at least the ones up at Chapman don't appear to be working.

I'ld be pretty damn certain that they haven't changed the yellow light sequencing, that would be a very good way of losing a nasty class-action suit.  Sounds nice but most cities aren't really that stupid.  I know that on the systems we used there were contractual provisions against doing it.  There are a whole bunch of legal and financial downsides to doing it and very little in the way of upsides to doing it.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#12]
They have to prove your doing the driving.  If they dont have a clear shot of you then they have no case, and thats why some people get away.  You don't have to incriminate yourself or the friend that was driving the car either, they try to get it out of you if you were not the driver too.  So if you do go to court, and they have no picture of YOU (not your car) then ask them to show proof that you commitd the violation.  If they can't then there's no case against you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Or they can treat it like a parking ticket.  That's what happens with the rear plate systems.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Just do 170 mph and it won't be able to take photos of your car: massdestraction.com/1433-HowTo_beat_the_speeding_camara.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top