Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 9:11:07 AM EDT
is 37mm Grenade/flare Launcher for AR-15  legal to own in Kali??
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The letter of the law does not prohibit putting one on a registered "AW", but the DoJ decided they are "destructive devices" and will not allow importation of any 37 mm launcher that is designed to be attached to a firearm.

A standalone 37 mm is exempt as a signaling device.  Of course possession of an explosive projectile makes it a DD.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
What about those launchers that do fit under an AR that were aquired before 2000, are they still legit?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What about those launchers that do fit under an AR that were aquired before 2000, are they still legit?

I'll be dipped in spit if I know.  I haven't heard of anyone being prosecuted for having one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
For more info on these go to the forums at www.37mm.com
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you legally allowed to shoot out the 37mm launchers though? It seems like every website said they would only sell to Military or LEOs only. Can you get one of those less lethal rubber ball rounds to keep in the tube next to your bed in case someone breaks in? And what about those Hornet's Nest grenades? Do those fall under the rules as a Destructive Device? I bet they do, but I am hoping they don't, because those would be pretty awesome to train with since we can't get real DDs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The letter of the law does not prohibit putting one on a registered "AW", but the DoJ decided they are "destructive devices" and will not allow importation of any 37 mm launcher that is designed to be attached to a firearm.

A standalone 37 mm is exempt as a signaling device.  Of course possession of an explosive projectile makes it a DD.

Hi, can you point me to where the DOJ made that determination? I've never seen that they consider it a DD written anywhere...but I have seen that it is an assault weapon feature. I thought they were legal on a registered assualt weapon.....???
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The letter of the law does not prohibit putting one on a registered "AW", but the DoJ decided they are "destructive devices" and will not allow importation of any 37 mm launcher that is designed to be attached to a firearm....

Hi, can you point me to where the DOJ made that determination? I've never seen that they consider it a DD written anywhere...but I have seen that it is an assault weapon feature. I thought they were legal on a registered assualt weapon.....???

I got that information third-hand, from Bushmaster's Web site.  I just looked there and it appears Bushmaster no longer offers a 37 mm launcher.  FWIW (and that's not much) I always thought Bushmaster was excessively cautious about sales of parts to Cali.

L&G Weaponry (of California) offers one right now, and their Web site doesn't say anything obvious about restricting sales to civilians.

lgweaponry.com/ad_sheets/37mm.htm

Cali is very inconsistent in how they define "grenade launchers" BTW.  The DoJ won't allow importation of an unmodified Zastava SKS with a launcher that is functionally identical to many rifles that they have allowed in (e.g. MAS 49/56).  Technically they could call any 22 mm diameter NATO type flash suppressor a grenade launcher, but they haven't.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#9]
well i dont know if this will shoot the same thing or give the same look but i did see a flare launcher for sale on a website, http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41844432
looks liek it shoots the same size as what you were looking for and not a bad price!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Just remember...it's not a grenade launcher...it's a FLARE launcher.

Thanks for your source....I've done research on this, and I came to the conclusion that a weapon mounted flare launcher would only be legal on a regestered assualt weapon.

Please research it for your self though....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Truth be told the 37mm flare launcher is pretty silly, and the rounds they fire are weak.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#12]
You could make smoke grenades and star clusters, etc though.....other than a novelty, they are pretty weak I must admit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I was under the impression that you could attach a 37mm launcher to a rifle as long as it wasn't a centerfire.

So, for all you blackpowder and rimfire guys...

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that you could attach a 37mm launcher to a rifle as long as it wasn't a centerfire.

So, for all you blackpowder and rimfire guys...

I believe you are correct.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top