Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 7:07:06 AM EDT
I just noticed that those whacky guys at the SportsmensGuide won't sell most BB and pelet guns in Califronia. Did I miss something?

These are the same guys who won't sell NV goggles as they're confused about the "sniper" rifle law which applies to Night Vision Riflescopes with attached IR illuminators.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
and 10rd mags, and the list goes on.

I found www.natchezss.com beat the mag price at SG, AND they ship to Caliban.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
They wouldn't sell me pistol ammo before because where I lived I was close to LA county!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty ridiculous, isn't it?  I think one or two municipalities have local ordinances banning pellet guns, but it should always be the buyer's responsibility to comply with those.

There is an exception to the ban on NV rifle scopes with built-in illuminators:  You can buy one if it's for "scientific research", which is not defined anywhere in the law.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They no longer sell black powder rifles to the Caliban either.

[dream mode]guy high on meth loading a black powder rifle[/dream mode]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's pretty ridiculous, isn't it?  I think one or two municipalities have local ordinances banning pellet guns, but it should always be the buyer's responsibility to comply with those.

There is an exception to the ban on NV rifle scopes with built-in illuminators:  You can buy one if it's for "scientific research", which is not defined anywhere in the law.

So can you buy a nightvision scope with a detachable IR illuminator? Would that be legal, and do they even exist?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Gee. With the supply being cut off for some time now, you'd think the violent crime would be all but a thing of the past!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So can you buy a nightvision scope with a detachable IR illuminator? Would that be legal, and do they even exist?

Night vision scope + IR illuminator + duct tape.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen models with detachable IR illuminators that mate with a "camera hotshoe" like device.

I had my NVRS set to me from Canada - it cleared US Customs who mailed it to my house. Years later I found out that it was illegal so I took the tiny IR diode out of the thing.

I'm looking for a nice pair of 3rd generation goggles now that run between $2500 and $3000 - Sportsmens Guide could be able to get some of that scratch if they were smart enough to figure out the difference between a sniperscope and a pair of goggles ... or black powder and centerfire ... or Los Angeles and the other 30 million people that live in California.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Is a nightvision sight/scope without an IR illuminator legal? (I dont know much about scopes - are IR illuminator-less NV scopes available?)

Edited bekuz my spelling and grammar wuz bad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, as I currently understand the "sniper scope" law it bans the use of a nightvision rifle scope with a built-in IR illuminator (except for expermental purposes). Let me see if I can find a quote from the California DOJ firearm page...

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/244.htm

Sniperscopes

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

There it is: "any attachment" that can be "adaptable to use on a firearm" which has a "projected infrared light source and electronic telescope".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top