Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 2:23:22 PM EDT
First one of this season is Sept 24th...Don't miss out. a full day of running and gunning with Carbine, Pistol and or Shotgun for just $65. Limited to 30 attendees.

Full info and registration here:

https://floridafirearmstraining.com/Tactical_Drills_Day.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The first and only time I have been to their location (late 2016), I was rather upset with their aggressive data gathering and storage (on a computer file server) policies.  Had I not driven an hour and been with a friend who was really looking forward to shooting his new rifle,  I'd have told them to shove it and I told the gentleman at the register so...  he didn't seem to care...  I tried to help him to understand why it would be in his best interest to care...  he still didn't care.  I told him that they'll never see me or anyone I care about from that day forward...  he still didn't seem to care...  Call me a privacy geek but they have no real need for the data they collect and are ill equipped to secure it.  If you feel as I do, you know what to do...  If you don't feel as I do, have a great day at the range...

Then, to add insult to injury, when I had a minor complaint at the range and spoke with the range master on duty, I got a snicker and attitude - not what I expected from a guy who's salary I am paying...

The long and short of it is that they're dead to me.  IMHO, there are other better choices in places to shoot in their neighborhood.

Best,

- R -
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The long and short of it is that they're dead to me.  IMHO, there are other better choices in places to shoot in their neighborhood.

Best,

- R -
View Quote
I am sorry you had a less than stellar experience.  I can not speak to the incident as I was not there, all I can tell you is that we have been running classes / courses and Tac-Drills at that location for at least 7 years and had no problems or issues what so ever. In fact the ownership and staff have always been very accommodating to us and our students / participants.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The first and only time I have been to their location (late 2016), I was rather upset with their aggressive data gathering and storage (on a computer file server) policies.  Had I not driven an hour and been with a friend who was really looking forward to shooting his new rifle,  I'd have told them to shove it and I told the gentleman at the register so...  he didn't seem to care...  I tried to help him to understand why it would be in his best interest to care...  he still didn't care.  I told him that they'll never see me or anyone I care about from that day forward...  he still didn't seem to care...  Call me a privacy geek but they have no real need for the data they collect and are ill equipped to secure it.  If you feel as I do, you know what to do...  If you don't feel as I do, have a great day at the range...

Then, to add insult to injury, when I had a minor complaint at the range and spoke with the range master on duty, I got a snicker and attitude - not what I expected from a guy who's salary I am paying...

Best,

- R -
View Quote
I don't keep client data and destroy Liability Waivers 90 days after class... I constantly screen/scrub my e-mail address book as well so as not to potentially compromise personal data.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have attended a FFT course at Okeechobee. Professional and top notch. I don't remember any particularly unusual registration policies,but there may have been some....

Hey, thanks for input! I guess if your finicky with that kind of thing, Okeechobee SS might not be the place for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't keep client data and destroy Liability Waivers 90 days after class... I constantly screen/scrub my e-mail address book as well so as not to potentially compromise personal data.
View Quote
That's great but I am missing a few details...  I was talking about OSS...  Are you OSS?...  or the owner or a representative of OSS???  If so, we can talk.  

If not, your statements have no context in my mind however I might ask a few questions:
1) Why collect data only to throw it away?  Sounds like an exercise in futility.  Also, what data do you collect?  Anything "sensitive"?  If so, what and why?
2) Liability waivers are worthless pieces of paper and I have no idea why any range collects them.  IN FLORIDA, you can not waive future liability - only past liability.  Documents which seem to waive future liability (in florida) are not worth the cost of the ink used to print them.  If you are a corporation in florida and engage in activities which can create liability, there are better (easier and more effective) ways to insulate yourself from liability.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's great but I am missing a few details...  I was talking about OSS...  Are you OSS?...  or the owner or a representative of OSS???  If so, we can talk.  

If not, your statements have no context in my mind however I might ask a few questions:
1) Why collect data only to throw it away?  Sounds like an exercise in futility.  Also, what data do you collect?  Anything "sensitive"?  If so, what and why?
2) Liability waivers are worthless pieces of paper and I have no idea why any range collects them.  IN FLORIDA, you can not waive future liability - only past liability.  Documents which seem to waive future liability (in florida) are not worth the cost of the ink used to print them.  If you are a corporation in florida and engage in activities which can create liability, there are better (easier and more effective) ways to insulate yourself from liability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reorx,

Just to clarify. Your issue is with the RANGE itself not with me or Florida Firearms Training. We have never met, nor have you ever taken any training from us correct?  We (FFT) are a Firearms Training Company, that partners with OSS to deliver firearms training at their facility.

If as you say and I have no reason to doubt you...  you went to OSS to use the "public range" and had a bad experience (due to their staff or range sign in requirements)  then you should absolutely address your issues directly with the ownership of the OSS range. I know the owner of the facility personally and know he is an honest, stand up gent that would welcome your feedback..

Again our (FFT's) experience with OSS has never been anything other than exemplary.

Hope this clarifies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have attended a FFT course at Okeechobee. Professional and top notch. I don't remember any particularly unusual registration policies,but there may have been some....

Hey, thanks for input! I guess if your finicky with that kind of thing, Okeechobee SS might not be the place for you.
View Quote
Thank you for your business and input jjrockbhsh.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Reorx,

Just to clarify. Your issue is with the RANGE itself not with me or Florida Firearms Training.  You are 100% correct sir.  I have absolutely no quarrel with you.  We have never met, nor have you ever taken any training from us correct?  Again, 100% correct.  We (FFT) are a Firearms Training Company, that partners with OSS to deliver firearms training at their facility.  My free advice to you would be to consider using other facilities to "partner with".  Whether it is "instead of" or "in addition to" OSS is your choice...  Unless they are really kissing your ass, there is no reason to give them exclusivity as your only training facility...  food for thought...

If as you say and I have no reason to doubt you...  you went to OSS to use the "public range" and had a bad experience (due to their staff or range sign in requirements)  then you should absolutely address your issues directly with the ownership of the OSS range.  I tried at the time I was there and failed miserably.  I know the owner of the facility personally and know he is an honest, stand up gent that would welcome your feedback...  I'll give you the honest, stand up gent part but I don't think that he gives a shit what I think and I don't believe he would welcome my feedback - his employee, agent, representative certainly didn't and said employee obviously didn't forward along my displeasure to the owner because if he had, (according to your beliefs!) the owner would have attempted to contact me to clear things up.  God knows he has every piece of information anyone would ever need to contact me in his database and I haven't heard peep from anyone at OSS.

Again our (FFT's) experience with OSS has never been anything other than exemplary.  I would expect nothing else.  I'm just 1 guy, you're not "just 1 guy"!

Hope this clarifies.  I wasn't unclear to begin with and I hope I have clarified my position as well...  I wish you the best with your course on the 24th - do your best to keep your student's sensitive information out of the OSS database...  Cheers mate!  
View Quote
<see this color above> and...
Last but not least >>> if you could, please post a sensitive information/privacy AAR after your course on the 24th - I'm curious how it will go down...  The information I am interested in is >>> does OSS harvest and store personal information on your students or are they treated differently than the general public walking in the front door???

Thanx again.

- R -

P.S.: What is your relationship to Bowhntr6pt?  I replied to him and you replied to me for him... are you part of the same organization?...  or are you not related and you are replying for your organization which is completely unrelated to Bowhntr6pt?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

P.S.: What is your relationship to Bowhntr6pt?  I replied to him and you replied to me for him... are you part of the same organization?...  or are you not related and you are replying for your organization which is completely unrelated to Bowhntr6pt?
View Quote
Bowhntr6pt is not part of FFT or OSS, I do not want to speak for him, but believe he was simply stating HIS company's policy on student info, nothing more. He is a firearms instructor in his own right that is well thought of in the community and has an excellent reputation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bowhntr6pt is not part of FFT or OSS, I do not want to speak for him, but believe he was simply stating HIS company's policy on student info, nothing more. He is a firearms instructor in his own right that is well thought of in the community and has an excellent reputation.
View Quote
Fair enough - thanx for the clarification.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
As already indicated, no, I'm not associated with OSS or any other company.

1) The only "data" I collect is e-mail address when people respond to a class posting and a name and phone number so I can contact them if something happens. Then, on the day of class, the attendees fill out a waiver that has their name on it. At the end of class a non-injury disclosure form is completed to give people an opportunity to make first notice of injury/loss. After about 90 days, I scrub all the forms.

2) Liability waivers ARE enforceable in FL so long as they contain a "In consideration for" clause, are written in plain non-complex language, and do not require the waivering of "gross negligence". If not, several lawyers I've consulted with over the years are wrong including my agencies Legal Counsel... which I doubt.

If you're a lawyer, I'd certainly appreciate an IM with information contrary to the above posting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As already indicated, no, I'm not associated with OSS or any other company.

1) The only "data" I collect is e-mail address when people respond to a class posting and a name and phone number so I can contact them if something happens. Then, on the day of class, the attendees fill out a waiver that has their name on it. At the end of class a non-injury disclosure form is completed to give people an opportunity to make first notice of injury/loss. After about 90 days, I scrub all the forms.

2) Liability waivers ARE enforceable in FL so long as they contain a "In consideration for" clause, are written in plain non-complex language, and do not require the waivering of "gross negligence". If not, several lawyers I've consulted with over the years are wrong including my agencies Legal Counsel... which I doubt.

If you're a lawyer, I'd certainly appreciate an IM with information contrary to the above posting.
View Quote
So, you collect no sensitive information - good.
You toss information after it has outlived it's usefulness. - good again.

I have heard arguments on both sides of the waiver topic.  No, I'm not a lawyer but I know a lot of lawyers.  I wouldn't count on a waiver being effective - I think that they are things that lawyers like to argue about in court - I am sure that outcomes vary.  My best recommendation is have a backup plan for "risk management"...  The only way to really find out how effective a waiver is is to try a case (in court) which includes a few elements - 1) clear cut liability,  2) significant damages,   3) a waiver,   4) a great plaintiff's lawyer (think the likes of Searcy, Denny, et.al).  Fortunately these 4 seldom come together in the same case.

Best,

- R -
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I am curious as to what sensitive information they collected from you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am curious as to what sensitive information they collected from you?
View Quote
I would also like to know
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top