Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2017 7:37:27 PM EDT
I met two different convoys of power company trucks in Mississippi on my way back from Port Arthur.  One very long convoy eastbound on I-10 and one longer convoy, maybe 3 separate convoys, on US 98 south bound. Several hundred trucks easy. I would imagine the same thing is happening in Alabama amd Georgia.  Stay safe people.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
When I see trucks I'll believe it.... I was at my house I left at 7am this morning.  The spot where the power lines were supposed to be was a tree & the lines were dangling on each side.  There were 19 spots I counted like that down a 2 mile stretch.
I went back to my house at 5pm & along the same 2 miles not a thing changed.... I have a feeling I'll be lucky to get power back this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The main road outside my neighborhood has power and most of the areas around me. We had a tree take out a main high power line in my neighborhood a street over from me. I have yet to see any trucks come through and hope we get power tomorrow sometime but I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind these trucks were sighted around 1:00-3:00 pm central.  I didn't think they would be in your neighborhood as the storm was tearing shit down.  I always thought they rolled in after the storm passed.  Sorry for giving you false hope.  Disregard.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
On the end on a line here. Lots of lines down all around me. Took a ride on the tractor and found three locations with lines on the ground. All within walking distance of the house. It's taken a week each storm instance to get power restored. 4 hours average with a regular outage. They prioritize and work areas getting the most customers restored per instance first. Us EOL folks are last. Can't fault them for that at all, I've prepped for it, minor inconvenience. If you want to see something discouraging, pull up Clay Electrics outage map. 
I have nothing but the greatest respect and admiration for the linemen working the restoration.  I've seen them out there in the wee hours of the morning setting new poles and pulling lines. They earn and deserve every dime they make. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup. I'm included in this mess.

http://outagemap.clayelectric.com/
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw some guys from Michigan working in Polk today.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw a few bucket trucks from Indiana actively working on lines south of Tallahassee today. Also saw a convoy of probably 40-50 utility trucks from Texas heading east on 98 towards Perry. Lots of American flags and Lone Stars flying. I also saw tons of trucks and ambulances heading south on 19. Not sure where all they were from, but definitely not locals. Not gonna be quick or easy, but things will get better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Guess we will skip the lakeplace in Salt Springs this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My next door neighbor told me that we were on the same power grid as the Collier County fire station accross Immokalee Road from our community.  She said when there have been big outages, we were up in 2 hours or less.  So much for that.....   I've tried to listen to the Collier County feed on broadcastify.com and it is still offline as well.  I'm not in town, so I'm not sweating it in the literal sense, but I have to admit, even here this wears on you.  I appreciate what those "in country" are going through.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Coming back from Orlando, we passed trucks from Wisconsin, Kansas, Indiana, Georgia, and Michigan going south on I-95 yesterday.   Just about every truck stop had a small fleet of Asplundh trucks, cable trucks, power trucks, and heavy equipment staged up and ready to go or en route. My mom posted a picture of a staging area in Perry GA and they had them stacked deep.

Hell, there was a tree crew from Indiana working in the neighborhood to take some limbs and trees today.

I will say, the logistical operation of a disaster response like this is something I marvel at.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guess we will skip the lakeplace in Salt Springs this weekend.
View Quote
It wasn't too bad, here. The power was back on by 6:30pm.

All the meats were lost, but overall none too bad.

The roads were cleaned up and traffic lights restored by the time I came home from work (about 1/2 the lights were out from OP to Jax).

Internet, cable, and phone services are still down.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
There has been power 1 block to the right of me  since Irma. My block and to the left of me has nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top