He posted up the following trade request for a local trade of a Beretta M9 9mm for a SA GI 1911. I am in Austin, he is in Corsicana. We agreed to meet in Temple and exchange handguns the Sunday after the original post was placed (Sunday, the 12th).
Buz's Original EE Post
(Marked Trade Pending 2/12/2006 3:20:59 PM CST)I responded to his EE post, and sent pictures of my GI 1911. Then the following emails were exchanged:JHaines
Here's a couple of pictures of the GI 1911.
I marked out the serial number in Photoshop.Buz
That's what I'm looking for.
Just need to get together and get the trade done.
My cell is 903-XXX-XXXX
Maybe we could 'meet in the middle', or something along those lines.
I know meeting face-to-face would save us dealer FFL fees as well as the overnight shipping charge associated with shipping a handgun.
I'm about to run some errands with my wife, but will be back at the computer later this evening.
That'll work for me. I don't go south of here much. Is Waco about halfway? Just let me know. Again my cell is 903-XXX-XXXX.
Looking forward to meeting you,
You think you might want to try and meet tomorrow ? I work during the week, but could swing something tomorrow if that would fit with your schedule.
I just went on Yahoo Maps, and it looks like the distance between Austin and Corsicana is 156 miles. Waco is about 100 miles from here, and Temple is about 70 miles.
Let me know what you think, and we'll try and lock something down.
I don't have another .45, so I'll give you all of the ammo I've got with the pistol - Also, do you have a .40 pistol ? If so, I've got some loose Winchester ammo in that caliber which I no longer have a pistol for.Buz
Tomorrow will be fine with me. The earlier the better. Temple will work. I'm not familiar with that area, but if you are maybe I won't get lost.
My wife, who'll be going with me, has a .40 so that will make her day. Also, I can't go near Waco without stopping at Red Lobster (her favorite).
If you could give me a call or give me a number and I'll call you.
At this point, I called Buz on his cell phone, and we agreed to meet in Temple (as well as me providing him my cell phone information). I then sent the following email to confirm:
Nice talking to you tonight - I just wanted to let you know that I'll be in a green Explorer Sport Trac pickup when we meet at Whataburger tomorrow.
Looking forward to it. See you then.
I drove to Temple and was waiting at the agreed upon time. When Buz didn't arrive, I called him and he explained that he had left me a message that morning that he wouldn't be able to make it due to work (which he did do, but which I did not receive until after we talked). We agreed to try again the following weekend, and I drove back to austin. The email exchange continues below:
My cell phone is pretty finicky about when it decides to let me know whether or not I've got a voicemail message waiting, so unfortunately, I didn't get your message until after we had talked.
No problems though. Those things happen.
We can try and meet up again next weekend if you are able. I can do Saturday or Sunday.
There's a gun show here in Austin both days, and I'd like to stop by it, but other than that, I've got no weekend plans, so I could meet up either day.
Let me know what's convenient for you, and we'll try again.Buz
Next Sunday ,same time and place, will work for me.
Next Sunday, 10:30 AM in the Whataburger parking lot (Exit 301 - Adams Street).
I'll be in the Green Explorer Sport Trac I mentioned yesterday. What will you
be driving ?
I'll shoot you an email a little later in the week to confirm.
I'll be in a silver Toyota Camry.
See you then,
I then receive this email from Buz stating he can't make it again due to work:
Bad news again. Can"t leave town again this weekend. They're expecting the ice age to return this weekend, which means power and cable lines down. All company personnel are required to be available for work.
The M9 is setting in the safe. Hopefully we can get together sometime soon.
Thanks for your patience,
Morning Buz -
Let's try again the following weekend (same time, same place)
if that will work for you. Let me know what you think.Buz
Feb 17 (7 days ago)
Feb 19 (5 days ago)
Just wanted to check in with you and see how the weekend went.
You guys have a lot of problems at work with the weather ?
It didn't get too bad here in Austin - a little ice on the vehicles this
morning, but nothing major.
Anyway, hope it wasn't too bad - and I'm looking forward to meeting
you this coming weekend to swap out the .45 for the 9mm. Please
let me know if anything comes up.Buz
Feb 20 (4 days ago)
We lucked out in that we didn't have near the rain they had first predicted.
We had a few outages but nothing like the last ice storm when we had power
lines and trees down all over town.
I'm looking forward to being at Whataburger, at exit 201, 10:30 am Sunday.
Surely nothing else can happen. At this point I'm beginning to think Murphy
was an optimist.
See you Sunday,
BuzThis morning, I check my email and received the following:Buz
7:49 am (1 hour ago)
Have some unexpected money problems. I'm gonna have to pass on the trade.
Sorry,I sent him the following email, and am sending him an IM and email with a link to this thread:JHaines
9:06 am (0 minutes ago)
While I understand that you may have some unexpected money problems,
we had an agreement via email, and you cancelled our meeting twice.
This just doesn't seem honest or right to do at this point.
I am going to leave negative feedback on AR15.com with copies of all
of our correspondance. As per AR15.com rules, I will copy you on the
link so that you can respond. Sorry to have to do this, but I
sincerely feel that this is wrong of you to back out after stringing
this out for three weeks.
JHainesI don't know what the deal is. I have had succesful exchanges/trades for two years now, but just this month I have had three people back out of EE deals. I'm sure you folks can understand how frustrating this is, and I think my emails show that a -1 is in order as we clearly had an agreement.
EDIT TO ADD: I have sent buz an IM as well as an email with a link to this thread. I also advised him that if he needed some time to get his finances in order, I was willing to work with him, but backing out at this point was just not a decent or honest thing to do.
I have also called his cell phone twice (got voicemail both times) and left a message explaining that I have left negative feedback, why, and that I would be perfectly willing to remove it if he followed up on our original agreememt and made this right.